Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
negar99

It’s turning oh so VANILLA!

negar99
3 years ago

I am not happy with the exterior of our house. I am thinking of painting the brick with a white limewash and adding black shutters. (I don’t think we should have chosen white windows and trim, but too late to change that.) What do you think about the white limewash? Or should I paint the brick a darker color? Any other suggestions for improved curb appeal? Thank you!

Comments (35)

• Olychick
    3 years ago

It's a shame to paint brand new brick, but you also have to be happy with it. I wonder if you could just darken the one section creating the porch and brighten the front door? You can upload your pic to a paint company website and play with painting it different colors to see if you like it better, but I agree that landscaping is going to make a big difference. You could also paint out the trim to add some dimension and remove some vanilla.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The white trim is brutally stark. Guessing you chose that to relate to the window.

I like the color of the brick a lot. You will have so many options for landscaping, holiday decor will look amazing, etc.

First thing I would try is I'd measure the brick to get the color data values, get the same for the white trim. Based on the factual color DNA of what you have to work with we'd come up with a new, medium dark color for the trim. That new color would be based on BOTH the stark white of the window and the brick, it not only would relate to both but it'd bridge the visual gap between the two extremes of both colors; that gap is the issue.

Gutters need to be the new trim color. Downspouts and ideally the utility boxes sprayed to match the brick body.

And you need a fabulous color that you love on the front door to pop the otherwise monochromatic palette. A glossy black from Fine Paints of Europe would be classic.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I agree with others - give it a chance. Almost all new builds look a bit barren until the landscape is in and even then, it takes a couple of years for trees and perennials to mature.

As for choosing white windows you did the right thing. You can't imagine how often people ask for advice when they want white interior trim and their windows are beige or some off white that just doesn't work with the interior colors they have selected. This gives you so many more options than any other color. window,

• jayapple21
    3 years ago

How about printing a copy of this photo right from your printer and then, using construction paper or just a sheet of printer paper that you’ve colored with a marker, try placing cut out shutters on the far right and far left windows only. You could also try French country-style shutters (curved top) on either side of your entrance doorway with your actual door painted the same color. Easy to visualize if you’d like these additions. Lovely house.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Just a peep from me that I like your house's soft color.

From houzz: " The siding, trim and garage door are painted in soft, light, warmish hues that contrast nicely with the bold splash of black on the front door. The stunning architecture is allowed to take center stage. (You don’t need vibrant colors to get attention here.) "

Presidio Heights Residence · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

This isn't exactly yours - what about painting front entry / door dark teal?

4.jpg · More Info

Get a similar look with (clockwise from top left, all from Glidden): Onyx Black GLN62, White On White GLC26, Wood Smoke GLN40, and Crisp Linen White GLC13.

5.jpg · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

BMoore's Tarrytown Green paint - for your door area?

Next photo shows SW Slate Tile color -

3rd is Benjamin Moore Dark Harbor

Newport Beach Project · More Info

Modern Minneapolis Ranch · More Info

Updated Tudor · More Info

• smakcanada
    3 years ago

The brick is a beautiful colour. I might think about aligning the trim with a shade within the brick. I assume the trim could be painted. And you know what they say about the door: pick your favourite colour from childhood and don't be shy! Once you have a lawn and reconnect the property to the trees behind your brick colour choice will look less stark, then you can add texture, colour, depth with landscaping.

• Donald
    3 years ago

New build? Why is the electric box on the front of the house and not the side?

• negar99
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don’t know but I was angry about that electric box location!

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t touch your brick, and usually I’m all for that. I think white or grey or black shutters could look nice. Paint your front door.

• User
    3 years ago

Wait! It is far too soon to start “fixing” stuff. Get the landscaping done and live with it a bit. Take your time. It will wait for you.

• Irene Morresey
    3 years ago

Don’t panic, clever landscaping will help soften it all, taller plantings, some maple trees, perhaps some solid timber structure etc. big pots at entrance. Darken your front door. I am sure when that is all achieved it will look beaut.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

How could they put the electrical right where everyone comes to the front door?

Anyway, I would paint your fascia a dark color Get dark gutters with leaders that match the brick. Get a fancy, eye catching, railing system. Paint the front door a luscious color. Landscape.

No to lime wash and shutters. You have an interesting house that could look fabulous.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I would ask what’s involved to move that electrical box.

• sloyder
    3 years ago

Right near the steps too, could hurt yourself if you bump into it.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I agree with Lori about changing the fascia to a softer white that relates better to the brick. I think the house would be warmed up a bit by having the door gel stained to look like wood. What is the plan for railings? Lastly, I would insist that the electrical box be moved around the corner.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

I'm usually not a fan of painted or whitewashed brick and definitely would not alter all of the brick but you might consider the exterior equivalent of an "accent wall" for only the very tallest section of the house by staining all of the brick in that tallest section as dark as possible.

A better idea, however, would be to focus on the entry section of the house which, to me, seems unfinished. Create an entrance that captures the attention of anyone/everyone looking at the front of the house -- enough so that all the rest of the house seems neutral and secondary to the entry rather than having the entire house seeming to be visually neutral/bland.

After painting the fascia black, also add an equal sized wide black horizontal trim board at the top of the straight front wall directly over the entry. Below that add a portico/ porch roof over front stoop in front of the actual entry.

Alternately, you could add a wider roof and also include the area in front of the tallest section of the house to cover the steps on the left as well.

Have the portico roof be flat on top with a rounded front and supported by pillars built from the ground up in front of the existing stoop

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/490610953134023432/

On the right, in line with those pillars supporting the portico roof, you could also build a wall that will hide the utility meter(s). Add a brick railing to the front portico/porch and make the wall to the right in front of and covering/hiding the steps and utility meters on the right be the same height as the railing of the portico.

The porch railing and wall in front of the right steps could be built out of the same brick as the house but with spaces within the brick wall or you could create a black or dark gray brick wall for that, seeking to match the darker fascia. (Black fascia will eventually fade to dark gray.)

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-brick-wall-red-openings-image78262112

• negar99
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone! Okay you all have convinced me on not painting the brick and changing the color of the fascia. I’m still on the fence with shutters though. Katinparadise, I was planning on simple black railings but I haven’t picked it out yet. Something like this:

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

Are you thinking of matching the fascia to your roof, or brick?

here‘s the latter (with white windows as well)

• negar99
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Katie - That house is gorgeous. I was thinking of doing what Lori said and softening the fascia color by painting it a color in between the brick and the windows.

• negar99
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Suezbell, I agree it looks unfinished to me and my minimalist tendencies has now left me with a bland unfinished looking house. Thank you for just a detailed suggestion... I am going to have to read it a couple of times to be able to picture it exactly but definitely better to think creatively rather than just slap on some paint!

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

I like the photo Katie B posted too. I would paint the fascia your roof color or something warmer white/beige.That, a stunning color on the door and landscaping.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Consider some ornamental iron railings.

Exterior Iron Hand Rail · More Info

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

A warmer color fascia, black railings, and black lights will make a big difference, as will landscaping. Be sure your lights are large enough-you want something at least 15 or 16" long to have some presence and be in proportion to the size of the entrance. It's hard to get the big picture when you're looking at something half finished.

Shutters aren't really appropriate with slider windows. A great color on the front door will help as well.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I like suggestions to feature quality black railings and entry lighting. The white trim part, I don't mind. Place white annuals at the front of landscaping bed... etc. :)

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Paint the gutters to match the rough and it will look better and then paint the windows a darker shade of the house color

• happyleg
    3 years ago

ROOF

• happyleg
    3 years ago

But only at the ro OF My crazy phone

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I think this railing would look good.

Summer Solace · More Info

• negar99
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Houssaon, love that! In black or white?

• simplify52
    3 years ago

I love the house. Don't paint the brick. It will be a maintenance nightmare forever. I like the idea of large, black light fixtures, house numbers, railing. I would do a hanging lantern for front porch on black chain. why did they put those electrical boxes on the front of the house when they could have easily put them just around the corner on the side of the house. I really love your house style. It's going to be beautiful. Enjoy it!!!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

The Chippendale style railing I recommended is usually painted white wood, but it could be painted to match your fascia color or black.

• shari13
    3 years ago

I think shutters would not do at all for this house. Why draw attention to the different window sizes when you can make an impact with your entry and landscaping?