Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_tabor

Master Bedroom Overhaul

Amy Eberhardt
3 years ago

Hello! We are slowly but surely repainting and updating our new-to-us home. I brought in a designer to help with the big picture and for the master she recommended the paint colors you see as well as the beige tufted bed. I like the bed, don’t love the paint.

Looking for advice on:

1. Night stand style
  2. Paint colors that work with the headboard (it’s worth noting this bedroom is DARK most of the day). What do you think of a wood pattern accent wall behind the bed?
  3. All things beautiful, any other brilliant ideas?
  4. What are your thoughts on wood floors in the master? We’re installing downstairs (as well as adding white trim)

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

First get some bedding that actually works with the pretty headboard. I think the bedding drives the wall color and also the basic style of the bedroom.

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What’s your opinion? Pattered, white? I love texture and layers so I was thinking white with the blue at the bottom and a patterned on top maybe with those big balls on the ends?

• mary44
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

following

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What do you guys think about white?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Help to properly scale nightstands.

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Alright ladies, the new comforter is in! I ordered a simple white thinking I could update with pillows and a patterned throw. I love texture and am hoping to create a relaxing space. I can’t wait to hear your opinions on nightstands and next steps (lamps? Wall color) once i update with the new photos!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Don't try to do too much and end up with a jumble of ideas. No accent wall behind the bed. Let the headboard be the star. The wall color doesn't bother me as much as the bedding. Going with layers of whites and creams would be lovely and ultimately a wood floor would be nice, but not necessary. Most like to step out of bed onto something cozy. You will need rugs on top of wood flooring and the carpeting looks pretty new?? Since the wall color is so dark, take everything else to a light and reflective look. Maybe nightstands should be metallic such as a Champagne color. Add a new chandelier or combo fan/chandelier (fandolier) to help add some interest and of course, some pretty nice sized lamps. Check out Hooker for some lovely night stand choices. Avoid more wood if you can.

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

New bedding, need to work on the pillow situation, but I like the white bedding and love the last recommendation for fluffy rugs - I’ve been contemplating wood in the master since we’re installing it on the main level. What do you guys think about drapes vs shutters or blinds or shades?

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

I think white/ cream or washed oak nightstand/ bachelor chest would be a nice contrast to wall: color is very contemporary.....nice.
    Maybe glass, Mercury glass, brass for lamps for contrast and brightened up room. Simple curtains in heavy linen for nice texture and 1-2” diameter curtain rods in finish to relate to lamps or nightstands. Keep us posted! Looks great!

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Love celerygirl's rendition with long drapes and a much softer/lighter color. You could certainly put wood floors in here, but ultimately you'd need an area rug on top of them.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

If you hate the wall color, change it (if it's not a huge hassle). But, I think it can work if you lighten up everything else. I like your light comforter but not a fan of it all being tucked in at the bottom. Maybe mirrored nightstands and linen drapes will also lighten the wall. Big piece of art over the bed if you find something you love.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here is the large yarn knit I was speaking of.

• winer812
    3 years ago

Following

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love the chunky throw! I’ll keep my eye out for pictures for above the bed and start the hunt for nightstands and curtains (been trying to find a dresser I love too). Thanks so much for all of the advice! Oh, and I never considered brass lamps, but that would be so pretty!

The wall color is for sure changing once I get the rest figured out- green is not my thing and it just feels good to repaint, making the house feel more like ours☺️

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Love you are willing to repaint. Color looks too dark so good call. Figure out bedding first. That will drive a lot. Because your nightstands will sit somewhat in front of windows, you might consider plug in wall sconces. That would be more functional because centering a lamp on nightstand will position lamp pretty far away from bed so not good for reading if you read in bed.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

You might want to put a color kill primer on the wall now. That will help you visualize bedding etc a lot better.

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great idea to add primer now, and for the sconces - I never considered that! I’m priming another room so I can just do it while I have everything out!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

This is rough, but might help you visualize whites, creams and you can select any accent color you want. I picked a blush color.

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love those lights!

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

Me too!

• Amy Eberhardt
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So what do you do with the cord on the plug in sconces?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

The cord gets covered with matching cord cover. They sometimes come with light. There are also ones that can be painted your wall color.