Software
Houzz Logo Print
xlarax

master bath help please!

6 years ago

I’m having a hard time deciding what to do. I fell in love with this Quartzsite called Blue Roma. I would like to have it installed on the main wall in a three sided bath alcove. This is the tub. I’m probably going to use a honed Carrera marble for the countertop. I need a flooring decision. The bathroom is small (built in the 70s)with a skylight providing the only natural light.I would therefore like to keep things light, and not busy. Below is also a pic of the gutted bathroom, and my cabinet makers drawing of our new cabinets. The room is curved so we had little choice in the design. Also no linen closet therefore we needed the center cabinet between the sinks. (I will use much bigger mirrors at each sink.The center cabinet doors are also mirrored.) The shower is tucked away, but I will use large porcelain slabs that look like carrera marble.

So besides flooring, I’m also looking for ideas on how to make the quartzite slab look like it should be there. I’m planning on it going from floor to ceiling, but there will be about 11 in on each side of it that will just be wall. This was already somewhat more than I was expecting to spend on this bathroom, so adding tile to that part of the wall plus the other two smaller alcove walls is more than I’m wanting to spend I think. But this will be our forever house. So I want to get it right. The connecting closet and bedroom, will be painted a similar blue to the background of the blue quartzite. I am planning on keeping the bathroom light, and painting it the Sea Pearl by Benjamin Moore that I will be doing in the rest of the house. I will also do the woodwork and cabinets Sea Pearl.

So any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Comments (14)

  • 6 years ago

    Debbi,
    We didn’t have any other options for the lay out. This is what was there when we bought the house a few months ago. (Same layout minus the center upper cabinet.)
    It will be tight. This is the smallest bathroom we’ve had in 26 years. But the water views won out so we will just have to relive our newly wed days & share the space 😬. The mirrors will be reflecting the Blue Roma slab. And no, we are definitely not doing it on all 3 walls. Only the center wall. It will even have about 10 inches of wall space on either side of the center wall bc the slab is smaller than the wall.

    And yes, I was thinking marble for the floor but something less veined than the carrera countertop. But which pattern and size is hard for me to visualize.
    Thank you!!

  • 6 years ago

    On its own, I really like the quartz slab - but I fear it will dictate everything else in the bath. I do not think any color, except white, or style, except simple, will work with it. The floor will need to be white, IMO. In the end, I think you may not love that wall once the rest of room is being dictated by it. Also, if you are considering re-sale in the future some will totally love it, but most may say it's a deal-breaker, unless the house is drop-dead gorgeous. As a former realtor, I've seen folks turn away from a house just because one room is painted too boldly - dismissing all the positive attributes of the home, just because one room is painted red, for example. But other than that, I really like the layout of your new bath!

  • 6 years ago

    Dvd94,
    I can understand that some may not like the blue quartzite. But we are 53 & planning on being here “forever” so I’m not too concerned with resale. The house will hopefully turn out well, but the lake views are going to most likely insure that resale won’t be a problem. And I do agree 100% that everything else needs to be simple & light. The Sea Pearl (Benjamin Moore) is a creamy white. I think carrera is pretty neutral and you have further cemented in my mind that “simple” on the floors is the way to go. I’m just having a hard time deciding pattern & size. Unless someone steers me differently, I may do large squares of barely veined marble set on the diagonal. Size of squares??
    Thanks!!
    (Picture is before we demo’d everything...but the view won’t change. It makes living amongst the dust & noise for the last 2+ months and counting worth it)

  • 6 years ago

    I would either use the same tile that you're using in the shower, or the same size with little or no veining.

  • 6 years ago

    Acm, I’m doing large porcelain slab in the shower, comes in 10x5 pieces. Shower is not in view of the rest of the bathroom, but it will look very similar to the carrera marble on the countertop. I’m still struggling with size & shape of floor tile.
    Thanks!!

  • 6 years ago

    ah. "large format" still means 12x24 to some people, so wasn't sure. I'd go large and simple in both tile pattern and how its laid -- little or no veining, no fancy install pattern, matching grout. some things have to be the back ground or nothing can be the star.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    why not do the blue roma on the countertop too?

    for the other tiles/flooring, I'd stay away from the marble look. It's either one or the other, not both. I wouldn't mix carrara, the marble look tile, and the blue roma. sorry, but that will not work well.

    do the blue roma w/a blue gray flooring


    and maybe a large format, solid white (or very little pattern) for the other walls. Like this tile in the lower right hand corner (not the terrazzo)


    or use something like this for the flooring and darker blue gray tile for the shower.


  • 6 years ago

    @xlarax: ok! totally hear you - your forever home for sure. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Beth H. I was actually planning on doing this white herringbone on the wall and floor, before I found the blue Roma. Quartzite. I am trying to stick with light colors now that I’ve chosen such a massive piece to put on the wall, that is dark. Do you see how the gray would look very nice with the Blue Roma Quartzite, if there was better lighting in my bathroom, and it wasn’t so small. Thank you!!

  • 6 years ago

    Acm, I love what you said...

    Some things have to be the background, or nothing can be the star.

    Thank you!!! I needed to hear that.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @xlarax your pic of the vanity area looks much better than the rendering - the angle appears to be different. I like the idea of herringbone on the floor! Now whether you do white or possibly pullout a pale grey from the stone could be very beautiful.

  • 6 years ago

    Debbi,
    Unfortunately, the rendering is probably closer to reality than the pic. as it’s from the listing, so they did that photography trick to make the room look larger. The cabinet bases get delivered today...I’m hoping it’s not as tight as you & I are both guessing it will be.
    Pale grey marble? Hmmm. I hadn’t thought about that option. I was trying to stay “light” but if walls & cabinets are the creamy white, maybe a light grey on the floor would work. I need to order some samples now. Thanks!!!
    (I wish I could wait and do flooring after the Blue Roma is installed. So hard to pick everything all at once!)

  • 2 years ago

    I would love a follow up photo of your bathroom with the gorgeous Blue Roma.