katyajini

Vegetative(?) buds on Yonlade d'A

katyajini

This is a baby Y d'A that I planted from bare root early April and it has formed a good many buds:

However several of these have a very tight green center. Is this a flower bud with a vegetative center? What are these called? And why do they happen?

This is a normal bud:

I have seen these forming on several of my roses, especially earlier in the season.

Here is a flower of Coquette d'Blanche:

And one on Ispahan:

I did not see these at bud stage. Is this the kind of deformation one sees in a flower when a bud has that green center?

Well, my question is there is no point to these buds is there? should I just remove these so the remaining normal buds have more energy? When I stopped and took notice it seems these kind of buds go slower than others and get very big and do not necessarily bloom proper;y.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)

Some roses, like gallicas, are simply more prone than others to displaying these vegetative green centres, aka proliferation (or is that just when they get really big and sprout another bud and flower? - I've forgotten now) - but also, what I've learnt from the experiences of people here is that they seem to tend to occur when there's been a sudden sharp change in the weather - IIRC, when it's been getting warm, possibly unseasonably, and then it reverts back to a sudden cold spell; and/or sometimes it seems to relate to very high nitrogen fertilising, either deliberate or unintentional, eg roses grown in an area with lots of old chicken poop in the soil where there was a former chook run. Maybe something here will ring a bell for you?

Whether you leave them on or not is up to you I think - afaik they don't cause any harm to the plant. If you're a bit weird like me, you might even get rather fond of them, to the point of having a Redoute painting of a proliferated rose as my little ID picture thingy here on Garden Web! Other, more sensible and upstanding folk would of course never give in to such foolishness...

Although... I do seem to recall hearing in the not-too-distant past that roses with vegetative green centres had become fashionable - models were carrying them down catwalks in fashion shows, and then people wanted to buy them to display as cut flowers at home - and breeders were breeding them specially to supply this demand. But of course those ones probably all have attractive leafy green centres in healthy looking roses, whereas others may never be more than manky looking buds that don't open or form flowers properly and may never look nice...

If you have the odd $4000+ to spare, I see you you can now buy an antique print of 'my' proliferated Redoute rose..

https://www.audubonart.com/shop/product/redr-137-redoute-roses-pl-137-variety-of-french-rose-11965

https://aradergalleries.com/products/pierre-joseph-redoute-1759-1840-rosa-gallica-agatha-var-prolifera

katyajini thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • katyajini

Comtesse! I left those buds. I will wear them to the supermarket when they bloom. Maybe someone will notice how fashionable I am. And I will get one of my kids to draw pictures of them and wait till the pictures fetch a nice sum. And I owe it all to you!! In my case it could be nitrogen but since I see them only early in the season, it could be be very well due to the wild swings in temperature we get at this time of year. Now I know! <3

• rosecanadian

What a cool thread!!

Comtesse - so interesting!