Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ac91z6

Roses and dryer vents, asking before planting!

ac91z6
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So I've got to re-home a rose or two, and my sister has a place she'd be happy to plant one. Problem is, it's near her dryer vent, and she's had problems getting other things to grow there (Irises specifically). If you have other suggestions - sedums? hardy geraniums? coneflowers? - please let me know! I can always add a plant or two to an order of perennials for myself!

I'm in northern MO, a cold z6 - 20 minutes north and you hit zone 5. This would be on southwest side of her house, full sun. I don't know how far out from the house she's willing to go; I know that could make a big difference but I don't have that information today. Hopefully I can update that tomorrow.

The roses on the possible chopping block:

'Braveheart' and 'Princess Elise' from Heirloom Roses - BH is in a bad spot, and PE is still a runt, but going into her third year. Being California bred, they might appreciate more heat than they're getting in my yard.

'Black Cherry' - another runt, but might just be too close to 'Tupelo Honey' and needs moved a little for more sun (I could put BH in this spot instead).

'White Gold' - admittedly, this one is being swamped by a 'Moody Blues' veronica that I plan to move and it is doing better this year. So far anyway, as I did see evidence of Rose Mosaic Virus in it's leaves this spring.

'Golden Border' - actually very pleased with this one, but I got two small plants from Hortico a couple years ago and they're both chugging along alright. One is in a worse spot than the other, and might appreciate a new home.

not-'Umbra', probably 'Ulrich Brunner Fils' - I planted this guy in a fairly shady spot, thinking he was a once-blooming Gallica; nope, he's a mislabel. Very fragrant though!

probably 'Madame Hardy', another mislabel - I actually think this isn't a good choice for that spot, and would also get bigger than my sister wants. I'm more curious as to if she'd work in such a spot.

I also have a 'Rook' and 'Treasure Trail' (pretty confident Rook is Rook, TT hasn't bloomed yet) but I really don't want to part with them - again, just interested in whether or not they'd be options for such a spot.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Comments (10)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago

I would think that the combo of hot, humid, and chemicals from things like drier sheets would be tough for a lot of plants, though it might depend on how far out she could plant them. Can the bed have an empty space or sculpture at the back and then the plant at the front so there is something like 2’-3’ in front of the vent without plants?

The grass near my furnace vent regularly died, so we just ended placing a large flat stone there which looks a lot nicer than dead grass.

ac91z6 thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

I have 2 big roses near a dry vent, Rosarium Uetersen and The Fairy. They are about 2.5'/ 3' away.

ac91z6 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

Never planted roses there (North side, no sun) but my hydrangea is next to my dryer vent and it seems to love it!

ac91z6 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • ac91z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks guys! Sorry, I got busy and didn't check anything over the last couple days. I'll have to check the spot tonight - NHBabs, a nice rock is always nice, and especially better than dead plants! And a rock with a rose in front of it would look great! Rouge, that 'John Cabot' is gorgeous! Seil, that sounds like a good spot for a hydrangea - they like the humidity, and the extra warmth could help keep them from getting so winter killed. I have one on the east side of my house that has never bloomed. I need to dig it up and move it or dump it.

Her vent is on the south/southwestern side of the house, so it could be that between the brick house and the dryer vent it's just too hot in the summer for much to grow. Depending on the size of that border, I'm thinking a hardy geranium or other herbacious perennial would work well (no winter foliage to burn, easy to get rid of any lint).

Or, I've got some coneflower seedlings she could have! No idea of what color (they're from a Powwow White) yet.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

I have a Nandina planted to the side of a dryer vent and itsit's leaves are in front. It is fine. I am going tito train a rambling rose up in front of it. Below it I have planted Iris tectorum and it can handle it.

ac91z6 thanked totoro z7b Md
  • ac91z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Still haven't had a chance to ask about/see the site - last week was busy, and I work weekends. Tomorrow, hopefully. It really sounds like any rose needs to be sited so it's mature size is at minimum two feet away from the vent. I think any of mine would get too big for the 'bed' she had there, but I'll check anyway.

Totoro, I think she's tried irises there but I'm pretty sure all hers are bearded iris - the tectorum kind might be a good option, if I can find it!

Dianthus, yarrow (the colorful, garden varieties not the yellow, prone to spreading one!), lambs' ears, and catmint (and I have a 'Walker's Low' I could give her) are options, if anyone has experience with those. Or a salvia or speedwell/veronica?

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

I have a hybrid tea - loves promise - right next to my dryer vent on SE corner of house. I worry sometimes, but that rose is thriving. We do about 2-4 loads of laundry on saturdays...

ac91z6 thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • ac91z6 thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • ac91z6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Got a chance to check the site yesterday, and it would be too small for the roses I have. A typical HT (tall and narrow) would probably work okay if placed to the sides of the vent (rather than directly in front), but might look out of place with the rest of her landscaping.

Thanks for your input guys, even if it was ultimately a bust. Information is always good to have, and maybe this will help someone else with a similar spot (and more space!).