packmule97

Japanese Maples

KP Devlin
5 months ago

I'm not entirely new to bonsai. I had a few trees many years ago. I ended up taking a break from it because my balcony (in NYC) developed a real pigeon problem. I couldn't keep any trees out there without them being picked clean of all leaves and having the soil dug up and thrown all over the place. No kidding - it was infuriating. Anyhow, thinking of getting a new tree, hoping the damn pigeons don't return (thinking up ways to protect the trees if they do)... I've never tried a maple before. We were thinking about getting a Japanese maple to grow in a container, and then i figured why not make it a bonsai?

So I thought I'd come here for advice. My thought was to get a low grafted "red dragon" as those aren't too hard to find or too terribly expensive. Plus they look great. Would anyone have advice to add to (or contradict) that? I was just going to get a small one in a 2g pot. Maybe I should look for something more mature though? It would be nice to have something that already looks somewhat tree-like, but I don't want to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for something right now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)