Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Diamonds are Forever & Wrinkle in Time: shall I keep them?

My plan for this season was to go to a "real" hosta nursery and purchase a few from my wish list. Covid-19 squashed that idea.

So I finally visited a nearby nursery to see what they had. I came home with two. Please give me honest opinions of these. Do you have them? Do you like them? The nursery accepts returns and I can easily bring them back.

Hosta Library says that Wrinkle in Time is a smaller version of Wheee! I'm not sure whether I need two look alikes. But then, maybe they don't look that similar?

Wrinkle in Time with Diamonds are Forever

Diamonds are Forever

Wrinkle in Time

Each were about $20.

Comments (21)

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

They look like nice plants. I have Pilgrim, which is the plant Wrinkle in Time came from, I think. Pilgrim is a strong, pretty plant that many people use as an edger. I grow my in a pot in my minis areas. I really like it, and the blooms/scapes are in good proportion. I vote to keep them.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • almosthooked zone5
    3 years ago

Love them both and if you put them with a complimentary color they will even look better I am in love with your wrinkle in time. I would vote to keep them both too!

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked almosthooked zone5
  • beverlymnz4
    3 years ago

I think that discription "like whee" is a bit of a stretch. Wrinkle in Time seems to make a fuller mound, have more heart shaped leaves and smaller stature. Keep. Diamonds are Forever looks pretty - isn't it supposed to be tetraploid? Should have good substance.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked beverlymnz4
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

I am in in agreement with everyone, keep both! I have Diamonds are Forever as well, but Babka, yours is stunning!

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

I don’t understand the indecision 🧐they both must stay😃

Sherry

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    3 years ago

Diamonds = yes, Wrinkle = no, IMHO

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked mikgag Z5b NS Canada
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like the majority say keep both. I think, out of the two, Diamonds are Forever, with the wide white edge, is more attractive. Babka and djacobz, thanks for posting your pictures. They made me realize that Diamonds are Forever was a keeper. Who could not resist "thick leaves that hold up well. It reminds me of a small Liberty." as Babka says.

As for Wrinkle in Time, there are a lot of eyes in that pot already. I like the smaller size of the plant. It is said by Hosta Library that it is an excellent grower. Well, who doesn't like that? The HL says it is like Wheee!, but I realize that Wrinkle in Time actually looks rather similar to Dark Star. Unfortunately there are only a few pictures of Wrinkle in Time as it was only registered in 2018. Ok, I'm on the fence about that one.

Mikgag, why do you say no to Wrinkle in Time? I'd like to know.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I went to the Hosta Library and did a comparison of Wrinkle in Time and Dark Star. Don't you too see a similarity?

• old_dirt 6a
    3 years ago

I go with the majority, "keep them both". When I get two that are quite similar I just try to put them far apart.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked old_dirt 6a
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    3 years ago

Newhostalady, Dark star and Wrinkle are distinctly different imho.

I should check Diamonds, wrinkle is keeper on my yard.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

newhostalady..I have neither of them..but I'm thinking when you were at the nursery something about those 2 appealed to you and you bought them..plant and enjoy 🙂

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • dhaven
    3 years ago

Wrinkle in Time and Dark Star are very different hostas, but probably easier to see that in person. Wrinkle in Time is a small to miniature hosta with a somewhat upright leaf habit. At maturity it is half the size of Dark Star, which is of medium size and has a more mounding leaf habit. Coloration is also different, although somewhat dependent on light levels. WIT is soft green with a creamy, very slightly yellow edge. DS is a darker green with a more distinctly but still soft yellow edge. Leaf substance is also very dilfferent, WIT has a fairly thin leaf, DS has a substantially thicker leaf.

WIT is one of the hostas that will thrive in a pot, and will take 3/4 sun easily. Given it's diminutive size, it does show up better in a pot than in the ground. Most will develop deeper ruffling as the plant matures.

Dark Star will take half sun without losing it's nice coloration. It will not develop more ruffling with age, what you see in the pictures is mature ruffling, and really more wavy than ruffly. It's a good grower and stays in good condition all season and late into the fall.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked dhaven
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OK, I'll keep them both. Hope to show you all nice pictures of them next year.

dhaven, thanks for the detailed information. I love detailed information!

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    3 years ago

Dark Star

Whee getting covered by other hosts.

Wrinkle just got transplanted so it is lax, usually it is much tighter a a clump.

Original Author
    3 years ago

lindalana, thank you for posting pictures of your nice wavy hosta! So good to see another Wrinkle in Time! It will be great to see how yours and mine look as they mature. It is looking cute!

Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is my new Wrinkle in Time in flower. So far between the two new hosta, Wrinkle in Time looks cuter. My Diamonds are Forever has some dried up edges which makes it not so attractive right now. Looking forward to seeing how they look next year. They always look a lot different the next year.

• loisflan
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just posted about my new Wrinkle in Time. Wrinkle in Time I love it.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked loisflan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I saw your post loisflan. Very pretty! Hopefully next year they will look even better!

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I passed on Diamonds couple years back... Got one today. What a cutie!

Original Author
    3 years ago

I am glad you got one lindalana! I would love to see a picture if you have one.