estherb2

Geraniums and verbena have stopped flowering

My geraniums and verbena, in a window box planter and a strawberry pot respectively, had been flowering like crazy until about a week ago. I had put Osmo-Cote Plus in their soil a couple weeks ago, kept them moist but not wet, deadheaded spent blooms, etc. They get several hours of sun on the balcony, too. Their foliage is just fine, but the blooms are gone and I don't see any upcoming buds. Are they just taking a rest?

A couple of weeks ago, geraniums were bursting with blooms. Zizu is a witness. Now, imagine that plant with just the leaves.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

though many flowers claim to be continually blooming.. there are usually up and down cycles ...

you can see the next set of buds coming ... and i bet.. if you look real close.. you can find more ... or you will in a week or two .... look closer under the canopy ...

i often wondered if it was some reaction to transplant stress ... the plant looking just fine.. but the bud creation stalled for that week or two ...

regardless ... the plant looks happy ... dont love it up too much ...

ken

Esther-B, Zone 7b thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Esther-B, Zone 7b

Ken, here is a picture I just took. There are no blossoms, there are no buds. The bacopa in the back (left) has a lot of browned stems, most of which I already snipped away. That's because (1) they don't get that much light from that direction and (2) this whole planter was 50% off at Lowes because initially it wasn't at its best, but I brought it back almost completely with TLC. So, you still think it's just resting between acts? The verbena at the front of the planter (you can't see it in this picture) is also not blooming or budding any more, as is the verbena in the strawberry pot on the other side of the balcony. Their foliage is fine, just not budding or blooming :(

One bright spot--look at that Raspberry Sundae hosta in the background. It seems to LOVE being in its fabric grow pot. It never had leaves half that size when planted in the ground in Queens, even in amended soil.

I just took a picture of the strawberry pot from the balcony door (it's like over 90 outside right now, not going out!). This side of the pot is the back, the front is 3x more lush, but you can still see that the verbena is not flowering either, nor do I see buds waiting to flower. The petunias are still 50% in flower, and a couple stems of calibrachoa (the light pink) are still flowering, but not the Pepto Bismol pink verbenas. This was one of those "Drop & Go" arrangements I plopped into the top of my strawberry pot. It had been doing great for weeks, but now the verbenas are pooping out here, too. Same treatment: soil kept moist, not wet, drainage very good from the bottom hole in pot, Osmo-Cote Plus, good afternoon sun.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

To be honest, I would not describe that foliage as ‘fine’. The Geranium has pale leaves, yellow spots and is etiolated. It seems to be suffering from lack of light. The trailing plant is badly wilted which could be a result of either over or underwatering. I would cut back the trailers, put the containers in a brighter place and reconsider the watering.

I’m afraid the Hosta looks less than perky to me too. It has a bit of a droop to the leaves as if it’s thirsty.

• Esther-B, Zone 7b

Floral UK, there are NO yellow spots on the geranium. Perhaps it is an artifact of the photo. Nor are the leaves etoliated. It gets a whole afternoon of SW sun. The bacopa in the back doesn't get much light and has already been trimmed back a lot. There are a few flowering strands left, so I don't cut it back altogether. That hosta is just fine. It looks like that all the time. Unfortunately, it has to exist on that shelf until I am able to buy a house, so that might make it look droopy, but it's not.

• Patti ~ Chicago Zone 5b/6a

If the geranium is a Martha Washington geranium you wont get any flowers once it gets warmer. I learned that. I have had it so full of flowers in spring but once it gets really warm they no longer will flower. I can’t see your other flowers to say anything else. Sorry. Good luck.

• Esther-B, Zone 7b

Patti, look at the beginning of this thread. There is a photo of my cat examining the geraniums when they WERE flowering.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Well, I’m just using the evidence of my eyes and I’m pretty sure I can see both yellow patches and evidence of etiolation including extended internodes and leaves all facing towards the light rather than being horizontal. You can see the difference if you compare the two photos. I can’t see how much light they are getting but I can see how they’re reacting to it. I also notice they’ve been dead headed by cutting off the wilted flower heads rather than snapping the whole flower stem off right at the natural joint with the main stem. It’s easy to do and doesn’t require cutting. Not doing this leaves empty petioles which will die back in an unsightly way. Notice how they too are yellowing.

Sorry if you felt I was being critical but the fact remains the Pelargonium foliage is not fine. To help you see what I mean I’ve marked up your photo to show where there are yellow or brown patches.

And there’s still the issue of whether the drooping visible in the hosta and wilting of the trailer is due to over or under watering. I can’t see or feel the mix so I can’t answer that. But wilting there is.

These are Pelargonium x hortorum, not P grandiflorum, so not Martha Washingtons.

Esther-B, Zone 7b thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Patti ~ Chicago Zone 5b/6a

Thanks floral. I dislike the stems when left when deadheading geraniums so glad to hear it is better to remove them and not just the flower heads.
    Ester:
    I know that geraniums need full sun and a drier media so maybe that was the reason for their demise. Too much water and not enough sunlight. It was a drop in you said so maybe the roots were too crowded and never stretched out into the media you had there. It is sad to loose a beautiful pot off flowers 🌸. Maybe you can get a replacement.
    Check the media in the pot and make sure it is loose and welcoming for the replacement. I am struggling to keep a few things alive lately due to rain right now.
    Happy gardening!!
    ,,,

Esther-B, Zone 7b thanked Patti ~ Chicago Zone 5b/6a
  • Esther-B, Zone 7b

Patti, Floral: I purchased this window box pre-planted with several geraniums, some bacopa and some verbena. It was another pot (the strawberry pot) that I transplanted from a plastic pot into the strawberry pot. The geraniums get sun all afternoon. A window box on the rail above them, same exposure, is doing great with portulaca, lantana, and heliotrope. I only water the geraniums about once/week, if I find that their soil is dryish, and there are drainage holes in the bottom of their window box. It might be that whoever planted this planter commercially did not allow enough room for all the roots. I have a couple of empty 10" or so ceramic pots and some empty 7 gallon black fabric grow pots (which the hostas and heucheras have been doing great in). What if I transferred the contents of the failing window box into either a ceramic or fabric pot, to give more room for roots and better drainage?

BTW, I watered all my plants last night, as it was in the high 80s/low 90s yesterday. That includes that Raspberry Sundae hosta you thought was drooping. This picture was taken 5 minutes ago, today. These big guys are growing on the bottom shelf of a 3 shelf wire shelving unit, and are twice the size they were last year.

Here is a view from my bathroom window (pardon the screen artifacts on photo), showing my window box. You can see Raspberry Sundae on the bottom right. The variegated vinca is 3x its original size, as are the portulaca and heliotropes.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

So the white box with the pink Pelargonium which I marked up in yellow is behind wire mesh und below a window box on the balcony rail? If I’ve understood this correctly I really believe they are getting less sun than you think. The angle of the leaves shows them seeking the light. You say the window box above them is doing great and is the same exposure. But, again if I understand you correctly, it isn’t the same since it's not behind mesh and not below another box so it would receive much more light.

Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz