Software
Houzz Logo Print
amlaber

need an answer

6 years ago

Looking to make this a bit more “farmhouse” ... ideas??? ALSO .... how would the doors look painted black ...? Keep in mind can’t paint the millions! TIA

Comments (12)

  • 6 years ago

    "farmhouse" means 100 things to 100 people. curtains would bring one style (maybe a bit more rustic). black doors would be nice in a different way, but white grids would jar. a runner or placemats on the table would warm it up in a third way... maybe you can find some inspiration pictures of rooms you like.

  • 6 years ago

    I would do greige over black. Black to me makes things look more modern or retro depending on the rest of the house. And I would change the sconces. Home Depot has a filter specifically for farmhouse. Agree with adding placemats and a centerpiece on the table. Need some more wall decor too. Again, farmhouse is still in so just check yoir favorite store online and filter it to farmhouse. I know burkes outlet has a lot of farmhouse decor for cheap.

  • 6 years ago

    That room is adorable.

  • 6 years ago

    Lovely room, some pics for inspiration, I’d be inclined to paint chairs black, not the door and perhaps add some black and white buffalo check curtains, black pendant light

  • 6 years ago

    White, beige, gray....ho hum. The beaded chandelier is not farmhouse nor country. Try a metal chandelier. Add window treatments. Add art. Add some color.

  • 6 years ago

    Don't paint the doors.

  • 6 years ago

    I live in farm country and have never, never, never seen black windows. That is French or industrial look. I always laugh at “farmhouse” remembering the only bathroom in a house placed in a corner of the kitchen, the washer and dryer crowded against the kitchen table, the door between the kitchen and all other rooms so the smell of cooking pork and cabbage didn’t permeate the whole house. Curtains for a farmhouse kitchen come from Sears or KMart, recliners in plastic with a strip of duct tape over the tear in the armrest, and the sofa came from the furniture store 20 miles away. Jelly jars were juice glasses, the dishes were from the giveaways at the Sunoco station, and the bath towels (thin and scratchy) from boxes of Duz. That is farmhouse.

  • 6 years ago

    Lol, Duz, I remember.

  • 6 years ago

    What a lovely, lovely room. I don’t like the idea of black doors either. Those black and white check drapes above look great. Or how about red and white check, like an old farmhouse tablecloth?

  • 6 years ago

    You can’t touch the doors, so the black chairs, table and fixture would help get more contrast in the room. I’m not sure it’s “farmhouse” you’re seeking but a Joanna Gaines’ look. Irene gave you one great, cohesive look.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Why not what you love and forget what style it is. A farmhouse has many looks depending on how rich the farmer was. Joanna Gaines , that is not farmhouse in my mind, no farm wife has time to dust all that stuff. No black windows and yes a new chandelier.