annyonce

Help me Pick a Rose - SoCal Z10b

Ok... so here’s my dilemma. My rose wish list is long... but my garden space is limited. I’m sure many of you can relate.

So I need to be really thoughtful and selective when it comes to picking out roses to plant.

I’m looking for roses in the dark pink - magenta color range. Some of the roses I’m considering are Pretty in Pink Eden Climber, Parade Rose Climber, Laguna Climber.

I also want some moderate size rose that will look like a beautiful landscape rose for the front yard... something that is full and lush with lots of flowers. I love roses that look like peonies or have a romantic look to them. Some of the ones I’m considering are: Pretty Lady, Yves Piaget, Ascot, Leonardo Da Vinci, James L. Austin, Princess Anne.

Do any of you grow these roses? If so will you please share you pictures, the area you garden in, and your personal experience with the rose, how it performs for you, etc.

I will plant the smaller shrub rose in front of a large Eden “Pierre De Ronsard” climber... and next to a couple of Bolero roses.

I still haven’t decided where exactly I should plant the climber... so if you have any insight please feel free to share.

• dianela7bnorthal

Hi there Ann,

I live in the humid south which is very different from your area but I’ll give you my two cents. From what I have learned here even the roses that are full of disease here do well in your area since you won’t have the disease pressure we have here. Hopefully some of the other members from your area can confirm this since I have never actually gardened there. From your list I grow several and I’ll share my experience.

Princess Anne: gorgeous and one of my top roses. Her only problem is she is susceptible to blackspot and that should not affect you.

super bloom power, hot pink and peony shaped

I’ll save my post and keep editing since I don’t trust houzz

James Austin is a very similar color, but the bloom shape is a bit different. The blooms don’t fade like princess Anne so you don’t get a two tone effect. I love it also. James is new here and doing very well in full sun and partial shade.

Another rose that is not in your list in the same color range is Princess Elise. Not many people are growing this one and I have only seen it at Heirloom roses. The petals are very ruffled and it blooms a lot. It is also an English Rose but not an Austin.

Ascot is a gorgeous cupped rose. I am loving mine. No picture I can show you can compare to a fully grown specimen like Diane’s. If you find my thread where I ask for a white climbing rose you can see the picture she posted there I think and that would settle your mind into a must have.

You mentioned Laguna and Parade day. I don’t grow parade day but I grow Laguna. I do however grow raspberry cream twirl which is a climber rose with an almost identical color to parade day. Raspberry cream is a much better climber than laguna in terms of blooming. Laguna has better resistance to blackspot here but it does not bloom as much. I actually have a laguna and a raspberry growing side by side now and their background hot pink is almost identical. Also raspberry is almost thornless and laguna is super thorny.

One last note on my super long post ( sorry about that I get carried away). I do not know how tall bolero will get where you are, but all the roses I have mentioned here (princess Anne, James etc) would get significantly larger than the 3 feet bolero is supposed to reach. Almost no David Austin rose will stay in the 3 feet range in a warm growing zone.

• Diane Brakefield

Dianela, I love your princesses. I've been thinking for quite a while that I need Princess Ann, after seeing yours, and now you've added another gorgeous one, Princess Elise that I want. This is a new one to me. What a garden you've put together in spite of being tremendously busy. You have a major work ethic to be admired.

Ann, if you want a rose that puts peonies to shame, try Augusta Luise, available from Palatine occasionally. She has frills and petticoats in abundance. I think she would do well in your So Cal garden, too. Diane

Please help me pick out a kitchen back splash!

Look into the stainless steel costs and if too much, you can apply similar colour, or red-ish/ perhaps beautiful orange as mentioned above, on back painted glass. Many opinions, if overwhelming, just take a deep breath and stay with "it". It will come to you what to do .....

Don't wash out me out! Help me pick exterior paint colors, please. :)

Your brick seems to have a bit of a peachy/pink tone, which is making it a little challenging to work with. The gold/yellow paint is doing nothing for it. The facia nd overhangs definately need a darker color, gutters too (its okay to paint gutters). Now this is an I think?? get a test pot for sure, but look at SW 6048 Terra Brun. It is a dark brown color with a pinky undertone. Use that color on the trim and vent louvers too. The garage door I'd paint the color of the body of the house, get some swatches and match it as closely as you can. The front door is lost within the arch, and I cant tell if you have a storm door or not. You may look for a nice burgundy, not too dark a little on the brighter side. For the siding on the rear maybe SW6066 Sand Trap, its a taupe color that does have a pink undertone as well and should look nice with the trim color. The landscaping will be crucial to changing the effect of the exterior. I would extend the planting area in front of the window to the left of the front door to arch around and meet the corner of the walkway. I see you have stepping stones too, but if they are not needed I'd extend the planting bed all the way to the driveway in front of the side walk. A Japanese Maple and some Barberry (red) would look great. It looks like you have a small tree hidden in the shadows, I'd bring a larger evergreen outward into that bed, and keep some lower style evergreen as foundation plants around it. I'm not sure which zone you live in or I'd make further recommendations. The two "void" areas next to the window of the garage could use a narrow style evergreen as well, like an Alaskan Weeping Cedar. The green color will help balance the pinky tones in the brick.

Help me pick a rug for my guest room/office

Thanks, all! I hadn't thought about green--that's an interesting idea. @groveraxle, I'd like to center the futon--but it narrows the entrance to the room and I keep banging into the futon's arm when I walk in! Last weekend I wound up with three huge bruises just above my knee. I need to find a narrow end table that'll fit there and protect me ;) I suck at Photoshop, so I appreciate all the help. I can never figure out how to make the perspective work, so the rug actually looks like it's on the floor. @Angel 18432 the curtains came with the house--definitely being replaced!

help me pick a powder room faucet

Check out the Phylrich faucets. I am installing a model with light rose marble/onyx trim. They would certainly have a style that would be a match for your Artistic Tile - I fell in love with it mine at first sight when I was looking for fixtures with my designer - a costly decision as I also needed the matching bath and shower trim LOL. FWIW, I used similar tile from Artistic for my shower accent wall. :-) Here's a link to the wide spread faucets on their site Phylrich Widespread Faucets They are locally based in California so I was able to actually request that the finish be done as I wanted - I wanted their oil rubbed bronze to have a bit more copper showing through than was shown on their sample. I also wanted the light rose onyx/marble trim in a particular style of handle which wasn't standard. I am sure wherever you are, the distributor could offer this kind of service since they are a relatively small company.
  • Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Dianela7bnorthal: A big THANK YOU for your long post. I adore long thorough posts with lots of pictures... so please don’t ever apologize for that. You doing me a wonderful favor and service by sharing your personal experience with these gorgeous roses.

Is the Ascot more red or magenta pink?... I wasn’t sure whether or not if I should add it to my consideration list since it’s some photos it looks more of a red with violet purple tones. But in your photos it definitely looks like it’s in the same color family that I’m considering.

Your raspberry twirl climber is just dreamy and delicious! Now I want one. Did it take a few years to get establish and take off? Did you ever consider growing in Margaret Mae Forever Pink Eden climber?

I’m in LOVE with your Princess and Rose... her two tone blooms and large Peony like blooms. How big is she for you? What are the purple flowers you have growing in front of her?

Your garden is breathtaking and magical... so please feel free to share as many pictures on here as you want.

I’ve heard that many Austin roses struggle in the dry California heat. And will Sometimes do better in a cooler more shaded spot if grown in certain areas of California.

I would love to hear your experience with how some of your roses handle being grown in direct sun all day... versus partial shade... versus full open shade.

Looking at your photos... Queen Anne & Ascot are holding the top 2 spots in on my list. And I’ve added Raspberry Cream Twirl Climber to my list right next to Margaret Mae Forever Pink Eden Climber.

Where do you get your roses from?

• Diane Brakefield

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

WOW!!! I’ve never seen a purple rose with that rich deep purple color like that before!!! That is just stunning!!! What is that rose?

And the peach one with its feminine frilly petals... and full blooms... it makes me think... Southern Peach.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

This is so much fun to see your roses in all their glory.

• Diane Brakefield

The purple rose is Twilight Zone, my favorite dark purple; and the peach (which can also be a dark apricot--the color is changeable, is Augusta Luise. Diane

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Whoops it posted above! Yves piaget

These are some absolutely gorgeous photos and I feel so silly to even interrupt with my words. These photos are incredible!!

My Ascot grown in Tennessee was a deep red with hint of purple to it . It was gorgeous .

My pretty in pink was a mess . I’m not sure if it was thrips or what but the individual blooms always had markings on them , and I never could photograph it correctly and I really didn’t love it . I loved it when I bought it but a after that fell out of love . I hope you can see in person first. I will say , I am the only person I’ve ever noticed not like theirs !!

I just ordered princess Elise from heirloom and I’m so excited to get it !!

Currently I have yves piaget . It’s gorgeous but if I grew it in a bed I’d plant a catmint with it to fill out its shape.

It perfumes the whole area in bloom and does look like peonies! I also have James Austin and young lycidas , similar colors . I love them both but they are new this year to me .

Yves again

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Diane Brakefield: your twilight rose looks unreal... her deep purple color is hypnotic.

Lilyfinch: thank you for sharing your pictures for Yves Piaget... such beautiful blossoms. I agree with you... Yves Piaget is a bit too bare and leggy for my taste... so it would need under plantings like catmint.

I really hope to see a pretty in pink eden in person before I commit to buying her.

Everyone: feel free to keep sharing more photos... it delights me every time I see a new pic of your roses & garden.

• sharon2079

Diane does your twilight always look so dark purple.... does it go magenta.... I have one own root, but it never looks that purple.... but that is what I wanted DARK purple.... I wonder if it is my heat that makes it so magenta.... or a missing nutrient.... straw has been making me think more and more about ph and nutrients.

• dianela7bnorthal

Diane thank you very much! I think I am a very “wound up”? person and need to vent my nervous energy somehow. Gardening has been a life saver for me. I managed to get AL from palatine in the fall of 2018 and it has been doing well. I keep looking at it and praying it likes it here. I have always dreamed of your AL. Your twilight zone is magnificent, I wonder if it would do well here. I find myself wanting every rose you have because they are just so perfect, but I know they may not do as well here. Do you think either Evelyn or twilight zone could be grown in like a 20 gallon pot? I was hoping to try one and that way I could pamper it with lots of systemic fungicide. I hope you find a spot for Princess Anne 😁I would love to see what it can do there for you. I can only imagine it will be a gorgeous amazing beast.

• dianela7bnorthal

Ann Thank you very much for your kind compliments. I also love when I get lots of explanations and pictures to demonstrate the actual rose. This forum has made my rose gardening hobby possible.

I have definitely read of many members here complaint of Austins suffering in the California heat in full sun. I do not have much to offer in this regard because my climate is so humid the blooms do not burn in full sun. Your roses would probably prefer morning sun and some afternoon shade if posible. What kind of sun exposure you dealing with?

The purple plant I grow with my roses is Salvia. I love Maynight and new dimension blue. All Salvia do much better here than lavender. My Princess Anne is kept at 4- 4 1/2 feet with winter pruning.

Ascot here is dark purple red that turns magenta hot pink. All roses here that are in that dark red with blue undertones tend to do that in the heat of summer and they will be darker in the spring.

my raspberry climber is 4 years old. It covered the arbor in 3 years. It bloomed since the first year, which in my experience is very good for a climber specially own root.

I planted them as one gallon own root on June 2016 from Heirloom

this is 2018 and the one you saw before was 2019

My Roses and clematis 2018 · More Info

I have not tried any of the Eden roses because they get too much blackspot here and I have been trying to back off from my spraying. I am sure they would look fantastic in your climate.

• rosecanadian

Dianela - If I could grow roses like yours, I know I'd have died, because I could only be in heaven!!! Amazing and fabulous roses!!!

Diane - ditto to what I said to Dianela!!! Your Augusta Luise is stupefyingly stunning!!!! And no one but you can get that shade of purple from Twilight Zone!!!

Lilyfinch - I've given up on growing Yves Piaget...but at least I can see yours!!! Glorious!!!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Dianela: Where did you buy your Princess Anne Rose? Is it own root or grafted? If it’s grafted... is there a specific root stock that’s considered the best?

• dianela7bnorthal

Carol you are always too kind. I wish we could be neighbors. we could have so much fun gardening and drinking tea while admiring the roses.

Ann I but my David Austins from David Austin in Texas and they are usually grafted in Dr. Huey. Some are only sold own root. My process Anne is grafted. I do not know what would work better for you. Here I have only tried dr. Huey and Multiflora as rootstock and they both do well. I purchase my roses mainly from:

David Austin in texas

Palatine

Heirloom

Antique Rose emporium

A Reverence for roses

High Country roses

There are many good online places, but these are the ones I use the most.

• dianela7bnorthal

Lilyfinch for some reason the site was not showing me your post. I am soo glad you are trying Princess Elise. She seems to be very floriferous and those blooms are so bright and beautiful.

I LOVE your Yves piaget. That was one of the roses I had in my wedding and I have always wanted it. I am sure it would do terrible here 😀but I love how beautiful yours looks.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

That's funny, after seeing Jen's Princess Elise, I went right to google to check it out. Heirloom has her in stock, most tempting.

Carol , big laugh on the nutritional value of eating Purslane. I actually have enough to get the whole neighborhood healthy

Im sure there are places that this is considered a lovely side dish.

OMG my husband just told me that his family ate Purslane

Well that explains a lot

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Lol kristine !!! You crack me up .

Dianela , it’s such a pretty rose but I’ve heard it’s a nightmare to keep clean . And it balls ! Ugh . I love mine in a pot , and so far so good . I bet your wedding bouquet was gorgeous. Did you custom choose the roses ?

Ann , I’m sure you’ll make a great choice no matter what you pick !!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Kristine, you are cracking me up!!! Of your possibilities I only grow Parade and Ascot. GET ASCOT!!! OMG! Here this is a non-stop bloomer with amazing peony-like blooms and lovely fragrance. I also LOVE Parade. Did you mean G.Boener's climber? I think you saw my pics on another recent post? It's a gorgeous colour and another wonderful fragrance. PiPE was so-so when I was it her regionally, but I'm sure you would take better care of it than a public garden. iI didn't like how it held onto its flowers and NEEDED dead-heading, but that's just a personal preference. Another rose in your colour range is Maggie, although I'm uncertain how she does in your area.

• rosecanadian

Dianela - that would be awesome!! We'd have to move south versus you moving north...you wouldn't be happy with our weather. LOL Really? You had Yves Piaget roses at your wedding? Oh that must have been wonderful!!! Sooooo beautiful!!

Kristine - that is so funny about the purslane and your husband eating it as a kid. LOL We learn something new every day. LOL

Vaporvac - your Ascot has a lovely fragrance? Hmmmm...that changes things...bwahahaha...Palatine offers Ascot...I may have to get it. We'll see. :)

• dianela7bnorthal

Yes Lily and Carol. I had not idea about roses when I got married. I really wanted peonies but roses were cheaper and I chose “old garden roses” from virgins farm. I went with the rose aphrodite which turns out is a Tantau and some other white rose. It was very early spring and the trees still were bare so the lady suggested I use a bit more color for the outside little arch and I chose Yves. I am glad I did because it was a windy colorless day. My weeding was tiny just parents and the closest friends so nothing big to decorate.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Dianela: do you have a pic of your bouquet from your wedding? Would love to see it. It sound BEAUTIFUL!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Vaporvac: My list of roses seems to be growing by the day... thanks to all of you. (Insert laughter and a wink). I’m now trying to find a spot for Ascot in my garden... as I’m feeling like I now NEED this rose in my life. And I can’t get over the two-toned-peony-like beauty of Dianela’s Princess Anne... she’s just so full and lush and pretty. I’m may have to get multiples of her... I’m so in love.

Yes... I believe it was your parade pics I saw. Can you tell me more about how exactly it held onto its flowers... did it hold onto it until they were all brown and looking sort of dirty? I haven’t been able to find a place around here where I could see it in person. And there’s not a ton of pics or info on it on the internet... so I’m hesitant to commit. I not only wanna see A rose plant when it’s at its best… But I also wanna see what it’s like when it’s at its worse... so that I know exactly what I’m committing to in the garden.

Dianela:
    Do the colors on Ascot and Princess Anne play well together in your garden? Do you have them planted closely together?

I need to set a reminder on my calendar to order Ascot from Palatine.

• Diane Brakefield

I think Ascot would look lovely with Princess Ann, though I'll bet Ascot grows lots larger. Diane

• dianela7bnorthal

Ann I totally agree with Diane. Princess Anne and Ascot would look lovely together. Ascot has canes over 5 feet on her 2nd year so it will end up being very tall I think. How about Princess Anne in front of Ascot? Lol 😂 I am getting too many ideas also. I actually have my Ascot next to Flamenco Rosita which another superb hot pink rose here. In this area I have laguna with flamenco Rosita and raspberry cream. All in same color range.

my wedding bouquet only had the pale color roses. I only added the Yves to the arch outside where we got married and the tiny centerpieces on the tables.

I have better picture but not on my phone:

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Ohhhh sooo beautiful dianela ... how lovely !!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Exquisite, Daniela as is everything you do!

• dianela7bnorthal

Thank you very much ladies. It was definitely a very special day for me.

Ann I think by now you probably already know no matter how small your garden is you will end up with more roses than you initially thought. Welcome to the rose craziness because it never stops 😀. Looking forward to seeing your garden!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Dianela: You had me laughing out loud with your comment...It’s so true. 😂🤣 I cant wait to see my garden either. We’re about to start some major renovations so I’m in the process of having to move some pretty large 6-7 hear old Eden climbers. We just moved one this weekend... and boy was that an undertaking. It was a 2 person job. I still have one more to go... wish me luck! I’m hoping and praying to the rose gods that my Edens will bounce back and start flourishing in their new home.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

To Everyone:
    Ok... so I’ve decided I DEFINITELY need some Princess Anne’s and an Ascot in my life. I have a question for you rose experts and enthusiasts. On Palatine’s website... it says Hardy USDA 5b - 9b. My USDA zone is 10b (sunset zone 22). Does this mean that I can’t/shouldn’t grow Ascot??? Or should I just ignore this label and go for it knowing the risks of it potentially not doing well??? Obviously I don’t want to waste my time or money on a plant that’s going to struggle. I would love to hear from all of you.

• Diane Brakefield

I'd ignore it--it's confusing. The 5b-9b are about US Agricultural Dept's cold hardiness zones and have nothing to with the heat. Is your new home in 10b also? Does anyone know what zone Lisa gardens in? She's inland from San Diego, I think, and her roses are outstanding. Ann, good luck with your move, especially moving those Eden Roses. If people who have posted here in the past can grow roses in Vietnam, and India, then you can grow them in Southern California--ha. Diane

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

Thank you Diane... I can have peace of mind when placing my Ascot order...(Sigh of relief)

• rosecanadian

Dianela - I love, love your bouquet!!! I wish I had had one like that for my wedding many years ago. Exquisite!!! And your cake - oh my!!! You did really, really well!!!

Houston's Premiere Remodeling Experts