Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

mattress-topper recommendations

AJCN
3 years ago

My kid's twin XL dorm room bed it super uncomfortable. I started looking at mattress-toppers and I was shocked at how expensive they are. I can sew. Should I just make one? I can sew household things like curtains, pillow, duvet covers, tablecloths, gifts such as dolls or stuffed animals, quilts, coverlets, and such but I consider my sewing to be utilitarian, not especially fine or sophisticated. But it doesn't seem like a topper would be that hard. And if I did, what is the best material to make one out of? I have always found memory foam to be strangely squishy/huggy and HOT.

If I decide to bite the bullet and just buy one, what type of material is the best? Again, I always thought memory foam was hot, but maybe there is a new type that is cooler?

Another alternative is to bring his home regular twin mattress (which is comfortable) and switch it out for the one that comes with the dorm room. It wouldn't be XL though. Then at the end of the year when we move him out, we could bring the twin XL one back. Or maybe I should just buy him a comfortable twin XL and switch it out, store the college one at home on an unused top bunk for a year, and then switch them back at the end of the year. Seems like the toppers are just as expensive as a new mattress. We could re-use the new XL with the next kid, and the next, and the next, when they go to college.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comment (1)