Software
Houzz Logo Print
kiesha78

Gas lantern selection HELP Please

6 years ago

Hi, I’m getting gas lanterns installed at my front entrance and I’m at a crossroads as to which style looks the best with my home. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Bevolo French Quarter gooseneck or the Bevolo London Street Rodin. I’ve included photos of my home from the driveway and front. You will be able to see my front door is recessed a bit and for that reason you only see one light fixture until you are directly in front of my home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

French Quarter Gooseneck
London Street Rodin

Comments (21)

  • 6 years ago

    french one. I like that the copper tones play well w/the stone, and give some variation against the wall

    Beautiful home.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you so much for your comment. Actually both lanterns are copper. The London Street patina has set in well.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    ah, ok. yes, bad thing about real copper, it turns a muddy brown. takes years and years before it gets the actual verdigris patina.

    have you thought about doing a copper portico or awning over the tiny gabled window?

    I like how the copper tones stand out against the neutrals.

    don't get me started on the rain gutters.


  • 6 years ago

    I have not considered the awning. Thank you for that. The copper gutters YES 😍. Believe it or not this home has been my fixer upper. We moved into an unloved home about 4 years ago. I was naive and thought I could be Joanna Gaines and pull it all together with $60K. Well the joke was on me because I was sadly mistaken. I knew we would have to do some work because this poor home was stuck in the 90’s. But the footprint and the bones were there. I didn’t account for a new roof, gutters (I thought I could get copper, the sales lady laughed and said “honey that would cost a fortune!), exterior paint, new HVAC, new front door, and new garage doors. All before we could tackle the inside. And I’m not a DIY-er by any means. So now that reality has hit home I drool over luxury home magazines and I try to add little touches here and there. The gas lanterns are my splurge to help me forget (temporarily) about the copper gutters and iron windows I wanted 😁.

  • 6 years ago

    Oh my goooooodness, either one is stunning, I do prefer the second one because its just soo grand.

  • 6 years ago

    I think they're both too curvy and feminine for your buffed up masculine facade. They may also be too wide for the space allocated to them. I would do something more slender with French Quarter styling. The key is to get them tall enough to be about 1/3 of your door's height.


    Breaux Bridge Gas Lantern, Aged Copper, 22" · More Info


    Rolltop Copper Lanterns, Black, 20", Natural Gas · More Info


    Acadiana Gas Lantern, Aged Copper, 24" · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for your comment on the slender lanterns. We have those (electric version) at our side and garage entrance. My husband and I wanted something for traditional at the front entryway.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    lol. well it's looking great.

    I also wanted copper gutters. yeah, so not happening.

    looked up a price. 5" half round, 16 gauge, copper, 20' length,,about $230.






    however, they make aluminum gutters in the copper color. And if you find a quality looking one, can look like copper without ever having to worry about it turning brown. copper is a waste outside because of the brown patina. I've had a copper rain chain for over 10 years. It's STILL brown! I could polish it up nice and new, and within a week it would be brown again. still waiting for the green patina like this! lol


    go w/the faux-copper gutters. they look just like the real stuff.

  • 6 years ago

    @kiesha78 gorgeous home and I love gas lanterns. We have natural gas that runs into our subdivision but our home has electric lighting on the front. i'd love to convert but have no idea how to do that. Can you shed some advice on the conversion? Who does the conversion?

  • 6 years ago

    @frostyfootball thank you for your comment. The conversion is handled by a licensed plumber. We also have electricity running to our exterior lighting but we have a gas stove. The plumber will use the existing gas line and run an extension to either side of the front doors. He will have to cut through the Sheetrock to run the gas line internally. Another option would be to have the gas line ran from the exterior around the side of our home to the front door. This would have caused the line to be exposed up each side of the front door. The line would be a thin copper/black line. I found a few homes in my area that went with that option and just painted the line the color of the home to conceal it. We considered this option but it was also twice as expensive because the plumber would have to dig a trench around the left side of the house to bury the gas line.

    I reached out to a local gas company and they provided with a listing of gas plumbers in my general area. I also have pictures I found on Pinterest of exposed lines with running the line from the exterior is an option you may consider. Good luck with your project.

  • 6 years ago
  • 6 years ago

    Frostyfootball, I sent a long reply. Did you not receive it?

  • 6 years ago

    No! Do you see it above? I don’t

  • 6 years ago

    Frostyfootball, yes I see it posted but I will copy and resend it to you.

  • 6 years ago

    Frostyfootball

  • 6 years ago

    I see both your responses now. Thank you! I’m obsessed with the gas lights and just admire them every time I see them.

  • 6 years ago

    Frostyfootball, well I’m your friend! I’m just the same way. I find myself driving through the historic and more effluent parts of the city just to ohh and aww at the gas lanterns. I decided one day it was time to explore having them at my doorstep 😁. Now my dilemma is go grand or keep it a bit settle. Please let me know if you decide to add them to your home. I would love to see what you choose.

  • 6 years ago

    RL Relocation LLC, Beth H., what do you think about a mix of both styles?

  • 6 years ago

    With your house, go BIG!

  • 6 years ago

    love love love it!

  • 6 years ago

    RL Relocation LLC, thank you! I greatly appreciate your response. I think it just might be the winner.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting