kdlandscapemanagement

Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eilers'

These shots are from the Rotary Gardens in Janesville, Wisconsin. Named after the nurseryman who found it growing in a waste area near an old rail line in southern Illinois. Distinctly different than the species. Introduced in 2003 but it has failed to gain much traction in the Chicago landscape market which seems a bit odd given the upward arc of natives in the landscape. Wondering if anyone out there is seeing this plant in the landscape with any regularity?

• Jay 6a Chicago

I never see it anywhere, but it should be used much more. That's an interesting story about it's discovery. I wonder why it wasn't classified as a unique subspecies of R. submentosa?

K&D Landscape Management thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT

I have never seen it anywhere but my own backyard, lol! I saw this in a catalog years ago and loved it immediately and had to buy it. And I still love it in my garden. Very carefree, hardy, eye-catching - most people who see it in my yard comment on it. I for one certainly don't know why it's not more widely seen.

:)
    Dee

K&D Landscape Management thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
    K&D Landscape Management

Not sure why it wasn't classified as a subspecies. Maybe registered for purposes of royalties although that's always a fuzzy area that I never seem to fully grasp.

Just for the heck of it I checked with a broker who represents a couple dozen wholesale nurseries, including two BIG perennial growers. The closest wholesale grower was in Ammon, Kentucky and the two big perennial growers, Midwest Ground Covers and Twixwood Nursery do not offer it. Maybe there are some propagation issues/costs that make it difficult? More sleuthing on this later in the week.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)

I had two of them at one time. As I recall one of them was a shorter version. I really liked them but without going into detail I didnt plant either in the most hospitable location and slowly but surely they faded away...permanently. (It is rare I see HE in a nursery these days)

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/1676683/henry-eilers-now-opening#n=9

K&D Landscape Management thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)
  • Sue W (CT zone 6a)

I've been growing it for a few years and love the interesting flower. I wish it would stay more upright but this year I managed to get ahead of my tallest one with supports. It's at least as tall as me and I'm 5' 8". A second plant was moved this spring so it's not quite as tall.

I do see it for sale occasionally in better stocked nurseries. Last fall I planted 'Little Henry'. It really hasn't taken off but I've had very little rain here since April.

K&D Landscape Management thanked Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    K&D Landscape Management

5'8" eh? That is one tall Rudbeckia!!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z6a)

Last fall I planted 'Little Henry'.

Thats the name of the shorter version!

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7

I got my Henry Eilers several years ago from Bluestone and I love those quilled petals. It has done well even in less sun than it probably wants and is only about 5 feet tall. I do give it support. I see that Bluestone currently has it. I'll have to look around for a Little Henry--I love shorter plants.

K&D Landscape Management thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7