Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Clematis these days

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Polish Spirit on the rail:

Tie Dye on the obelisk:

Yukikomachi in the rose bush (looking a little worse for wear I see :( )

Rooguchi on an obelisk:

Comments (26)

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Wow! They're doing rather well. I'm curious about how tall your support fence is for Polish Spirit. I have one in a 2 gal. pot and thought it might get 20' tall, but if it can go sideways on a fence that would be good to know. I like the color.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked erasmus_gw
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

I am blown away !! These look so beautiful. You must really be enjoying them !!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Lilyfinch and erasmus...very kind of you both.

That railing is for safety for one side of a deck. From the base of the PSpirit to the top of the railing is 5 feet and this clematis has gone 6 feet left to right on the railing.

• mazerolm_3a
    3 years ago

Beautiful!! I’m envious, my clematis are stingy with their blooms.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked mazerolm_3a
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Gorgeous!! All three :-) A healthy blooming clematis is a thing of great beauty....my favorite flowering vine!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Always supportive 'gg'...thank you.

Do you have a favourite or two of clematis?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

LOL!! Whatever happens to be blooming at the moment??

TBH, I am not having a good clematis year :-( My florida 'Sieboldii' experienced wilt this season and a couple of others - all of mine are in containers - didn't respond well after winter. Not sure why....it was a very mild, almost non-winter. But my new this season Taiga is doing well, Durandii just finished its first flush and Ramona is in full bloom now. Still waiting for any of my type 3's to shows signs of flowering, especially Sweet Summer Love and My Angel.

I've been applying alfalfa tea liberally in hopes to reinvigorate those that are performing weakly. And I have plans to plant a few actually in the ground!!

• lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    3 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I've been trying to find a clematis at a nursery in my area for the last few weeks, but no luck. I guess I need to start looking earlier next year!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

I had been eyeing up yukikomachi at brushwood . I passed on it bc it seemed like one that would fade immediately and the pics may have been “enhanced “ but it appears not . I do actually have some light shade for it but didn’t want to be disappointed. I think I’ll add it back to my wish list . It’s very lovely !!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lilyfinch "yukik" is one of my 'special' plants.

I do recommend the flowers. I just wish this clematis was more vigorous (for me?).

• jimandanne_mi
    3 years ago

lovemycorgi, in a normal non-COVID year, by the end of May your choices of clems in SE MI will be limited, and there may be none at some places. This year, with the garden centers ordered closed at first, when they did open people who normally don't even plan a garden were there with all of the regulars - lots of things sold out that normally would have been on sale later in the summer to get rid of them. I couldn't believe how empty the places I usually go to were in June, when there had been lots of stock earlier in May.

Anne

Original Author
    3 years ago

erasmus, I have admired Pr. Di for many seasons but I have no space for another clematis. How long have you had yours? Is it a vigorous climber ie how large does it get?

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

I think this is year two for Princess Di. I grew it on in a gallon pot for awhile, then planted. I can't say much about how big it will get but from what I've read it is very vigorous. This year it is about 4' tall and maybe 4' wide. It has several vines. I went overboard buying clems the last few years and am not sure where I'll put them all. I'm intrigued with the variety of shapes of the blooms.

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    3 years ago

Beautiful!! Polish Spirit especially caught my eye. Very nicely grown clematises!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
  • totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Rouge21, how large are your polish spirit blooms? Mine bloomed for the first time and they are like 1.5 inch. Same with Chelsea. I wonder if they will be larger next year or whether I have the right plant. Beautiful deep indigo purple color.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello totoro, from edge to edge directly across they are about 3.5".

• cercis47
    3 years ago

Rouge, beautiful clematis. Love that Yukik. I can never seem to get them to thrive. Yours are thriving for sure. What is your secret? Do you fertilize? This is one blooming now. Does anyone know which it might be. Lost the tag.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked cercis47
  • erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Rouge, come to think of it this is year three for Princess Di. The first year I grew it on in a pot and planted in the ground in fall. The following year it got established but didn't bloom. This year it had its first blooms.

Sounds like Polish Spirit has pretty good sized blooms. Would you say it has more red in the purple than Etoile Violette?

• cercis47
    3 years ago

Another photo not posted:

Original Author
    3 years ago

What is your secret? Do you fertilize?

I only show you the "good" ones ;). I have a couple that aren't thriving eg Piilu.

I never use "fertlizer" for any of our perennials or shrubs or trees...homemade compost for sure.

• cercis47
    3 years ago

Gardengal, I will try alfalfa tea on my clematis. Our soil is so sandy and lean even after 40 years of mulching, composting, etc. heavy feeders just don’t thrive. Do you have a proportion for the tea?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I never really measure but typically it is 4 cups of alfalfa meal to 5G of water.

• buyorsell888
    3 years ago

I just buy a bag of alfalfa pellets at the feed store and throw handfuls at the base of my Clematis regularly....

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked buyorsell888
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

And I used to have pet rabbits and used their partially digested form of alfalfa throughout my garden :-) I miss both the bunnies and their poop and just make do now with alfalfa tea.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Rouge, your clematis are beautiful!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz