Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_231712857

Help! What is this fitting called?

Mikayla
3 years ago

This piece connects my shower head to the wall. It is leaking and I would like to replace it. Is it a common fitting or something special that I'll have to replace the whole shower head over??

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

I'd try replacing the rings first.

• Mikayla
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That's not where its leaking unfortunately. It's at the connection between the two pieces, which I cant get apart. And I have pretty well destroyed them trying.

• sambah006
    3 years ago

Which side connects to where?

• Mikayla
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The top with the rings is what connects to the shower head. The bottom is basically the shower head arm, it just doesnt stick out as far as most

• sambah006
    3 years ago

If you cannot get the thing apart, I'd replace the whole thing with a new shower arm and head. I've never seen that fixture piece before.

• Mikayla
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Unfortunately I agree with you. I replaced the shower head today. But this was almost a $200 fixture. I would LOVE to put it back up if I can find a replacement

• sambah006
    3 years ago

You could try two vise grip pliers to get the thing apart, and re-seal the threads.

Or contact the manufacturer of that shower head and see if they offer replacement parts.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

The bottom fitting that is threaded on both ends is a brass pipe nipple.

Brass Nipples

If you don't have the tools, take it to a real hardware store or a plumbing shop. Either should have a pipe vise. If the fitting for the the shower head is nicked & scuffed up, assuming solid brass, you can clean it up to acceptable w/ some light filling/ sanding. Just buy a new brass nipple; they're not they're expensive.

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    3 years ago

I recently installed a Kohler shower rail and it used that type of fitting. The fitting screws into the nipple in the wall, using teflon tape and pipe dope. The shower head then pushes onto the fitting to engage the O-rings, and there are two screws holding it to the wall.

Kohler offered three different lengths for the threaded fitting, and I had to use one that had the right range to handle the distance from the tile face to the fitting in the wall.

It looks like your fitting may came in two parts, and the part without O-rings is what you use to adjust the length. If you can't get the fittings apart, you might need to find a different combination of wrenches. If you haven't bent the piece with the O-rings out of shape you should be able to get it to seal again, even if the other piece is destroyed during the removal.

Bruce

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

I can't imagine why that would be leaking at the top threaded joint. It looks screwed in plenty far, and if you can't get it apart that means it's tight. They used teflon tape. The brass isn't even oxidized from age, this looks like a pretty new fitting.

You're totally sure it's not coming from where the o-ring seal is?

• Mikayla
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I thought I was but you have me questioning it now. I can definitely try replacing the rings. The fitting only leaks when it is connected to the shower head (which is probably my first clue that you're right) but it makes it really hard to assess. Thanks for the input! I'm torn between keeping my nice showerhead and the certain destruction of my wall if I dont fix this leak...

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

Those o-rings are 50 cents each. Take one off (use a tiny screwdriver to pry it out), take it to a hardware store or plumbing supply, and get an exact match (times two). Pop them on, a bit of plumber's grease (a small tube is a couple bucks) and try it out. Very easy to do.