Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akh_sof

12X24 floor tiles for a narrow master bathroom

Sofia Akhter
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

EDIT: PAINT COLOR HELP.

We decided on the cabinet and the tiles. Now looking for a gray color recommendation(cool undertone).

Adding the pics of the tile and cabinets.

I am looking for gray as the Master Bedroom has SW Colonnade gray(50% lighter) and I feel it should be a flow of same color shade. Any way I can use Accesible Beige as I have a gallon sitting in the garage🙈🙈.

If not, I am contemplating between

SW Colonnade gray (50% lighter) or Silver Gray.

BM Pigeon Gray or Classic Gray.

My bathroom is 8’X10’ and I am in the process of replacing the vanity and tiles. The open are for tiles is around 18“-20”X 10’.

We have decided on 12X24 floor tiles but confused about the layout. I want to go horizontally to make the room appear deeper but not sure if we can see a good pattern that way. My husband wants to go vertically.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (21)

• badgergal
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Check the tile manufacture's website to see if they have a visualizer tool where you can upload a picture of your bathroom and try out different tiles, sizes and orientations. Just for an example, I used a similar tile from MSI Surfaces with your picture. Here is is vertical:

And horizontal:

If the tile comes in 24"x24" you might want to consider that too. No arguments about horizontal vs vertical😂. Less grout lines too. Actually, I have a long narrow hall bathroom and did mine in 24x24. Heres a before and after

You might have to click on the pictures to see them full size.

Sofia Akhter thanked badgergal
  • PRO
    Calvetta Bros. Floor Show
    3 years ago

Because they are rectangular tiles and not squares, I would not go on a diagonal. They are beautiful! Let us know if you have any other questions -- visit our website -- www.calvettabrothers.com

Sofia Akhter thanked Calvetta Bros. Floor Show
  • Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@badgergal, this one is not available in 24”X24”.

On a side note, let me tell you that I still remember you with helping me few years back with my hall bath tile layout. You posted your daughter’s bathroom as example and it was very helpful. It’s nice to see you again commenting on my post🙂. Thanks again!

• Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Calvetta Bros. Floor Show, I am not going diagonal with 12X24 tiles. Wanted to get opinion if I should lay in vertically or horizontally with my are being long and narrow. What’s your recommendation? Thanks

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I'd go vertically, i.e. lengthwise instead of widthwise. Ideally, though, you'd find another tile you like in 12 x 12 vs. 12 x 24.

Sofia Akhter thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

What kind of offset do you intend to use? If you use 12 x 24 tiles you might encounter issues with lippage.

Sofia Akhter thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    3 years ago

I would go vertically as well since the tiles are rectangles not squares and your bathroom is long and narrow. Go with the shape as opposed to fighting against it.

Sofia Akhter thanked Inside Out Staging and Design
  • Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ptreckel, 33% offset. Not that I understand a lot about how this works but have been reading and this is what’s recommended for bigger tiles.

Does this matter in terms of vertical/horizontal layout? Thanks.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

I think that you are right to do the 33% offset, although some of the illustrations used (above) show a 50% offset or a stacked application. I think that the best way of laying things out is lengthwise so that you can see the fullness of your lovely tile. That has my vote!

Sofia Akhter thanked ptreckel
  • Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors, I know we can do offset with 12X12 but I really want to incorporate 12X24 if possible🙈. Even if this is not something we will enjoy as we r doing the update to sell the house.

• Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ptreckel, thank you for the vote😀. I needed validation from experts for my vision.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I don't think to have the tiles turned sideways gains you that much because of all the patterns on the tile.

Sofia Akhter thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Sam Lawtons
    3 years ago

The patterns will hide ALOT.

Sofia Akhter thanked Sam Lawtons
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

I recall your recent other thread about this. I like your tile choice. Did your real estate agent recommend you update this bathroom?

Sofia Akhter thanked tartanmeup
  • Jennifer Svensson
    3 years ago

Another vote for vertical, to me it just seems the flow better. I think you can pull off a 12x 24, no problem. It’s not thaaaat big of a size. Best of luck!

Sofia Akhter thanked Jennifer Svensson
  • Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup, the other thread was for vanity size and design. I was not sure if I can add tiling qs to that thread🙂. The bathroom update was a necessity as the cabinets are falling apart and vinyl tiles are peeling off. I was gonna replace the bathtub with standing shower too but she advised against it. So doing the minimum update to make it presentable.

• Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner, thank you so much for the picture. This is the exact layout I have except i have the bathtub. This helps a lot.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Nice job!

Sofia Akhter thanked Kate
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Floor looks great! Hope you're thrilled with your bathroom. Thanks for updating us.

Sofia Akhter thanked tartanmeup
  • Sofia Akhter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup, thank you and we loved how the floor looks. We didn’t use the bathroom as we listed the house right away and wanted to leave the bathroom as pristine as it looks for the new buyer🙂