Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_944360160

Island or Two-Tier

6 years ago

I am in the process of updating my condo and evaluating if I should turn my two-tier counter into an island.

I am wondering what are the usual costs involved to do so?

Comments (15)

  • 6 years ago

    There are two issues here. Going from a two tier to a single level peninsula is an enthusiastic yes. The cost will be minimal if you are planning to change your counters anyway, but you will have to move your outlets. Turning your peninsula into an island? That depends on how much you want to reconfigure your space.

  • 6 years ago

    Ahh yes sorry new to this! I did mean single level not island.

    Do you think that would look better?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Totally. It will look more updated. What counter material are you considering?

  • 6 years ago

    Yes totally

  • 6 years ago

    Quartz, here is a pic of the slab we’re considering.

    Also the flooring we liked and a pic of them together.

    Not sure if they match too much but I liked it.

  • 6 years ago

    Also the paint colors were considering.

    Far left, Second to Right and far right.

  • 6 years ago

    I would keep it 2-tier. That tier is a backsplash for the sink and effectively a wall keeping your working kitchen out of the rest of the home. Certainly expand the top tier if it's not adequate for desired seating.

  • 6 years ago

    @Nik M, you have very warm cabinets. Are you planning to keep them as is? If so, paint your samples onto a wall next to the cabinets to be sure they play well together.

  • 6 years ago

    I don’t put barstools there since the table is directly behind the second tier. So space isn’t really an issue. I was thinking it would be a good update since nothings been done in the kitchen since it was built in 2003. 2 tier bar just looks a little dated.

  • 6 years ago

    I’m not sure if the cabinet color would match. We were thinking one of the lighters blue/grey or white?

    We were just going to repaint.

  • 6 years ago

    In general I like one level vs 2 tier. However, once that area is all one level, the sink/dirty dishes/dishrack, etc are all visible to the dining and living space. If you are generally tidy or don't mind seeing "the mess" while you eat or lounge, then it's fine.

  • 6 years ago

    Island = yes, but you will have some major challenges by the looks of it.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    We did both, and I recommend it to you! We had a 2-tier penninsula that we knocked down to one level for most of the penninsula, but kept a backsplash riser directly behind the sink. That way, we are not seeing our sink from the living area. Here are some before & after photos of our project:





  • 6 years ago

    What @pittsburrito did is so clever! And I think a single level looks more modern.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you everyone! I think we are going to go ahead and remove the second tier.

    Now the issue we are having is matching the colors.

    The light floor and light countertops may not work. We were thinking of painting the cabinets to match the grey accent in this quartz

Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals