Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandaslange

Thoughts on our floor plan

amandaslange
3 years ago

We are finalizing plans for our new home build. I would love any suggestions and input on things that could be done better, or things that we may have missed. A little background information, we are a family of four with two kids ages 7(boy) and 3(girl). Our main priorities coming into this project were to have a nice outside space, a dedicated guest room and a play room. We are building on a 1.5 acre lot and we are somewhat restricted by trees in the center of the lot. Our house will face the northwest. We do not have exterior elevation drawings yet. Thanks in advance!

** We are still hoping to tweak the layout of bedrooms 2 & 3 some, but they will stay on the same general location.

Comments (23)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Cannot read most of the dimensions and verbiage on the drawings. Why no elevations? They really need to be developed in concert with each other as you cannot build a home in a vacuum.

amandaslange thanked millworkman
  • emilyam819
    3 years ago

You need a prep sink on the island. I’d want a bigger mudroom, fewer jogs/less complexity, and reach-in closets instead of too-small walk-ins.

amandaslange thanked emilyam819
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

I can't read the plans either but what I can see looks like various cubes and rectangles added on to each other. I can't imagine how these staggered exterior walls would look like or how the house would feel inside. One suggestion I do have for you: think about furnishing each room as you design your house because windows and wall space, for example, aren't superfluous design elements.

amandaslange thanked tartanmeup
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Tell us about the bedroom off the kitchen, who it's for. Do you have a housekeeper?

• roccouple
    3 years ago

i like it mostly. I like how the bedrooms are together in one wing. One thing you might consider is reconfiguring the master bath/closet so the door is more leftward and you have a bath on one side, closet on the other. This would make the closet more accessible and give you more wall space.

the smaller walk in closets may not be super useful. May be better as reach ins. I cant read the dimensions though.

A final thought is that it might be nice to have the laundry in the same “wing” as the bedrooms

amandaslange thanked roccouple
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Doors should not open and hit a car. Free standing tubs should have sufficient space to retrieve dropped bars of soap and to clean around. I do not care for gas chambers. The living room has tunnel vision to the outside. Clothes closets accessible through a bathroom can encourage mold growth and can be inconvenient walking through wet space to get to a dry space. There is more but I have to run off to meetings.

amandaslange thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

How do you get out of the study?

See the closet in the mudroom? The back corner will be a black hole, things will disappear and you’ll never find them.

If the kids are into gymnastics, they’ll use the living room as an obstacle course to do flips and jumps over, to make the diagonal trip to the dinner table and door to the garage.

Do you need a guest closet?

Will you actually have seating for six at the island? Or really just perches for breakfast, snacks, and hanging with the cook?

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Everyone will weigh in with individual issues that they notice in your posted plan. Some might not be important or of high priority to you. Others will be very helpful. I am not a professional, but when I looked at your floor plan I was overwhelmed by all of the little halls, vestibules, niches in it. It seems overly complicated and unnecessarily so. Every little corner in your exterior wall configuration will be $$$. Count them. There are a lot! How necessary are all of those jogs to the overall space that you are trying to create here? I would urge you to simplify this plan. Eliminate the many little halls and vestibules, etc. Less is more. Simpler is better. Good luck!

• anj_p
    3 years ago

I think your plan is good, excepting some things mentioned above.

My two cents:

I would actually change the location of the mud room, pantry, laundry & guest room. Flip the whole thing. Mainly because the guest room is in the corner of the working part of your kitchen, and having that be an access to a private space seems awkward to me. It seems much more natural to have that off the dining room and near the game room. If you can find a way to flip that, I think you'd have a better layout. I also think it makes more sense to put the laundry where the guest room is, which keeps the "working" part of the house in one spot, and not somewhere guests would access.

In the kitchen, switch the fridge and double ovens(?) so that the fridge is accessible to anyone without entering the cooking space (for example, people needing drinks when at the dinner table). I also agree that an island prep sink would be a good add.

Unless you expect a constant stream of guests, I would also combine the guest bath with your half bath (after flipping the laundry & guest rooms). Otherwise the guest bath will rarely see use, especially through the guest room.

ETA: I couldn't really see the bedroom side of things - it was blurry - but now that I do I agree with posters below that the bedroom access is challenging. I would make one hallway that all bedrooms are off of.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Really, all the jigs and jogs add nothing to the exterior, and cause trouble. For example, what will go in that little niche outside the powder room on the left? Square off the garage by moving the wall with the man-door out even with the closet wall, and replace the closet with cabinetry. (What are your needs in the garage?) You can make the master bath a foot narrower, eliminate the jog, and never miss the foot. And yes, do reconfigure the kids’ bedrooms, make it cleaner on the outside, give them reach-ins.

What what will the roof be like? Seems to me that, even with the trees in back, you have room to make an L with the bedroom side, so that the roof isn’t quite so fat.

• jslazart
    3 years ago

What do you like about it? I'm struggling a little here, so I think it would help to know what your favorite parts are. I'll leave aside how many strange corners there are and talk about livability.

I would want a window in the laundry room, a bigger mudroom, and a playroom that isn't so removed from the living spaces. I wouldn't want guests to have to go through the kitchen to get to the guest room, I wouldn't want to have to go down a twisty hallway and then through the living room to get to the kids bedrooms at night. I'd want direct access to my closet (not through the bathroom), and much less convoluted path to getting laundry to/from the various bedrooms. I'd also be concerned about turnaround space for your driveway. It seems a little tight (but I can't read the dimensions either).

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

All the things that one needs are here but I find much of the layout very hard. The dining, kitchen, great room are mostly fine.

But the kid rooms are so hard to access from master. That would be a big no for me.

Mudroom seems tiny compared to home size and awkward to get in and out of.

I can see why games room is far from master but it’s also super far from kids space and seems more like an after thought.

The shape of the floor plan overall is very complicated for no real reason. Rectangles are better!

I don’t mind the garage and doors issues someone else mentioned as I assume you wouldn’t open the storage doors into the car! But since you do have the opportunity to change it add a few feet.

Overall I don’t think this is a bad start but it needs a lot of improvement to be something I would build.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Like jaslazart, I’d like a little easier access between parents and kids. Perhaps a short hall behind the fireplace. That would also give the house one of my favorite things, circulation: more than one way to get from one place to another.

• jslazart
    3 years ago

Another thought: I'm not talented enough to draw it up, but I would consider swapping the guest room with the play room in general. Guests would have more privacy (and not have to cross the kitchen) while kids would by able to play right by the "heart of the home" (kitchen). But I'd put a prep sink in the island so they aren't running back and forth through the kitchen work triangle. If you did that, rearranged the bedroom wing, and then got rid of as many extra "jogs" in the exterior walls as possible, I think the plan would improve quite a bit.

• Mrs Pete
    3 years ago

I agree with those who say "too much, too much, too much". Too many jigs and jogs, too many little vestibules, too many pathways and no real traffic pattern (for example, why would you want all the garage traffic funneled through the kitchen?).

And too little natural light in the main living spaces.

No love for anything here.

• bpath
    3 years ago

In a broader way of looking at it, I don't see an organizing principal. I do see a central space for cooking and living activities, and then other activities tacked on to the corners, but, with the exception of dining, without relationships to each other or even to the central space.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Could you do this: swap the guest suite and the laundry, and if you like join the guest bath and powder room. Configure the pantry, mudroom, and laundry such that you reach them via that central area between dining. Kitchen, and back wing. This gives you a nice L kitchen, with no one passing through the middle of it.

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

That's an awfully long and convoluted path you'll have to take to get to a sick child in the middle of the night.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Along that same path, do not have a heart attack in the master walk-in closet, the ambulance stretcher can't make all the corners.

How will they know they have a sick child in the middle of the night?

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"How will they know they have a sick child in the middle of the night?"

Hopefully they will have an intercom system or baby monitors (even though the kids aren't babies).

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Notwithstanding critiques of the whole plan, I'm concentrating on the kitchen. I would m/l flip the plan to put the clean-up area in the back and the DR in the front. And I agree with emilyam about the prep sink on the island--I'd put it on the left, leaving landing space, but far enough that there's a nice prep space to the right, and also a nice drop zone for groceries to be loaded to the fridge and pantry. Perimeter line-up stays m/l as is, so fridge is convenient to living areas.

I made the island shorter, but that puts it far enough from the clean-up zone that you could have seats on the third side. There is a pinch-point at the corner, but if it's at least 36" that should be sufficient for traffic.

ETA, the corner of the great room could be moved over in line with the entry wall, but that might change the roof line, and one porch section would be wider, and the other more narrow. Also, since flipping the plan complicates the entry from the garage, that could be adjusted, but all those changes might not be worth it just to get the clean-up zone in the back of the house, and better access to the pantry.

• qam999
    3 years ago

So much has been missed. Just one point as I don't have time to make all the 50 I would like to:

1) The master WIC is huge, fine. But it could so easily have been given direct from the bedroom access - in place of, or in addition to, the bathroom access - with a huge improvement in convenience and even safety, as Mark Bischak points out. The person designing this house did not catch that huge glaring problem and the easy fix.