Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Some Hope Re: Citrus Greening?

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've lost all but 2 of my citrus trees and the ones I have left aren't doing very well. This seems encouraging...
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/27/895775625/exotic-australian-fruit-may-help-save-floridas-citrus-industry";
"There's some good news in the long-running battle against a disease that's devastated Florida's signature crop, oranges. Researchers are developing tools to help control citrus greening, a disease that has killed thousands of acres of orange and grapefruit trees.
One of the most promising treatments was recently developed in a fruit most people have never heard of, the Australian finger lime...."

Comments (12)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

Very interesting article. This would be great news for FL and other US citrus producing states. I have 3 Red Finger Lime trees. I have noticed they stay very healthy here. They are own root and are more frost tender so I keep them potted.

I have a couple potted Buddah's Hands that also stay very exeptionally healthy. One is on Flying Dragon rootstock and one on its own roots..a cutting from the mother plant. I tried a own root BH in the ground here and it died at 26F so they have to stay potted.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I miss my Meyer lemons and Rio Red grapefruits. My Ponkan tangerine is limping along, but I don't think it's going to last much longer.

I have a variegated pink lemon that I will have to remove soon - and it's still quite small. Same thing happened with a blood orange - it never even had a chance.

The only thing that seems halfway healthy is a young key lime I grew from seed, but I noticed some dieback on it today ☹️

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago

Ruby Reds are good. But really nearly any grapefruit left to ripen on the tree can be exceptional. You should consider planting a Pickering mango. It can be very productive and is quite compact.

• scogebear
    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing. When I moved to South Florida in 1981, there were healthy citrus trees in every neighbor's yard - nothing now. I'd love to be able to grow a lemon tree.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know - it makes me very sad...

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    3 years ago

Oh Carol I hope this works. It’s so sad to drive by these citrus orchards where all the trees are dead.

I only have two citrus - a Satsuma and a blood orange- neither one produces much . Maybe 1-2 fruit each year even though both trees flower. But the giant swallowtails love them for laying eggs.

• vml68
    3 years ago

When I moved down to FL a five years ago, I had visions of having a nice little citrus orchard. I went on a buying spree being blissfully unaware of citrus greening. I was growing everything in pots while we looked for a house. A lot of travel and other time consuming activities meant the trees were a bit neglected. We did not end up moving into a house with land till last year which is when they finally went into the ground. A few trees look like they are recovering and might make it. A Nules Clementine and Shiranui have bit the dust. A Xie shan, Owari satsuma and Dream Navel are looking like they are next in line for plant heaven.

I was going to replace the citrus with other fruit trees but being mule headed ( and apparently also enjoying flushing money down the drain) have decided that I would like to give it one more try.

Bea - The giant swallowtail caterpillars decimated my Rangpur lime. I saw them on the tree when they were young and I picked them of and transferred them to my dying citrus. Apparently, I missed quite a few. In 2 days, my tree was striped bare. It was my best citrus. I got a bunch of fruit from it the last few years. I am a bit upset about it and hoping the tree will recover.

I hope they find a cure for citrus greening soon.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

Bea is your Blood Orange in the ground or potted? I am debating putting mine in the ground now. I think it would do better. Anyone have a Meyer Lemon in the ground im the Jax area?

I have several potted MLs for many years but I am tiring of dragging so much stuff in and out of the greenhouse lol.

• tinael01
    3 years ago

I agree on the Pickering mango Dave mine is wonderful and was loaded down with fruit this year.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    3 years ago

Sultry we had the Blood Orange in a pot for the first two years and moved it inside fir the coldest months. In the spring of 2019 we planted it in the ground after reading that older more mature Blood Oange trees are more likely to survive our coldest weathers. The tree has really grown and flourished since the move.

We too got tired of dragging these big heavy pots inside every winter…we’re not getting any younger.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mangos are delicious, but they're no substitute for fresh citrus, unfortunately.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio