marlorena2

'Wildberry' from Tantau Roses...

Marlorena-z8 England-

This rose is almost 100 percent clean here for me and weather tolerant - i.e. very wet, or very dry.. yesterdays' near 100F heat seemed not to trouble it.. it also has a musky sweet fragrance, very pleasant, not powerful..

... For future reference, if you live in a black spot prone area and can obtain this rose, then it should work out for you I think, unlike some other Tantau roses I have here..

Aquarell/Perfect Harmony - sport of August Luise - black spot 50 percent after the first flush.. partly defoliates..

Eisvogel - totally defoliated after the first flush... wonderful scent, gorgeous blooms otherwise..

Lavender Ice - clean but no scent to speak of.. outer petals discolour in wet weather..

..just an update on a few of their roses I've tried.. I find these roses a bit of a strange breed if I'm honest and can't make my mind up totally how much I like them..

A few photos to follow - always hoping..

• Marlorena-z8 England-

..these are all 'Wildberry'..

• Marlorena-z8 England-

'Aquarell'..

'Eisvogel'...

'Lavender Ice'...

• dianela7bnorthal

These are all gorgeous Marlorena. If I could somehow get my hands on Wildberry I would definitely add her to my garden. It is disappointing to hear about Eisvogel‘s lack of resistance to blackspot since I absolutely adore her coloring and bloom form.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

I love that dusky pink coloring on Wildberry - that's also the one I would choose, if they were available here! Thanks for sharing.

• Lek Arun

I love the look of Wildberry and Eisvogel if I can find them, maybe they would like my dry heat. Your flowers are so beautiful!

• Diane Brakefield

I love them all, Marlorena, and your photos are beautiful depictions. I've wanted Lavender Ice for years. And your photos of Eisvogel just confirm that it's for me, too. I agree that there is something different about these Tantau roses, and that's just what I love about them. Since my roses don't black spot here, I could grow all of them, if only Tantau would get its act together and offer a wide selection of its line here in the US. Thanks for posting these lovely photos. Now to drool over them again. Diane

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Thanks so much!... I think they're made for warm dry climates... like yours Diane ..

Tantau missing a trick there..

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    yesterday

Marlorena, your roses are lovely! I can't get over how exceptional they are. It is sad that the health of Eisvogel and Aquarel has not been all that you'd like to see but they might perform well in parts of the USA. Guess we'll never know.

• Lisa Adams
    yesterday

Those are all absolutely gorgeous, Marlorena! I hope at least a few of them make it over here someday! I think they’d like my dry climate as well. Same as Lek, I like ‘Wildberry’ and ‘Eisvogel’ best. In Holland, “Eisvogel“ is the Kingfisher bird. Literally, the word “Eis” translates to the word “ice”, and “Vogel” to the word “bird”. I wonder what made them name this rose ‘Eisvogel’? Too bad most black spot for you. Do you think they might outgrow it, or does that not happen? I really don’t know. I’m glad to say that it’s just too dry for black spot here. Thanks for sharing them. Tantau roses are SO unique. Lisa

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    yesterday

..thanks Lisa, that's interesting about the name, I hadn't got round to translating it.. Kingfisher bird, perhaps because of the various colours in the blooms, I'm thinking that might be the reason, they are quite a mixture..

Yes the roses might get better with age, but being in pots they are better provided than in my soil conditions, as they get the best attention... I was disappointed a little, but it's a chance I take with imported German roses and that includes ADR ones too..

Definitely made for your climate...

• rosecanadian
    yesterday

Marlorena - You have Eisvogel!!! I really, really think it's gorgeous and have lusted after it since I first got my Tantau catalogue!!! WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! What an incredibly unique rose!!! Your Wildberry also rings my chimes!!! Drool-icious!!! I want!!!

Lek, Lisa and Diane - I agree...my roses don't BS either...I'd get Tantau roses in a heartbeat!

Lisa - I remember reading in the catalogue that it meant kingfisher. I think it's a great name...such a colorful bird's (has that bit of orange just like the rose does) name seems to just fit the bill. (pun intended LOL)

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    yesterday

...great pun Carol. !.. why didn't I think of that ?..lol..

You're all very lucky not to get black spot... I never knew such places existed before I came on here.. i can't imagine being without it, not that I find it comforting ...

• Edhelka (North Wales, UK)
    yesterday

I like Wildberry and Eisvogel a lot.

Your blackspot experience is interesting. These are blackspot ratings from Tantau website:

Wildberry - 3/4, Eisvogel - 2/4, Aquarell - 3/4, Lavender Ice - 2/4.

I would expect roses that get 2/4 in Germany to blackspot badly in the UK. I know they have different strains and more of them, but isn't at least one of them the same? I guess roses graded 3/4 could go either way. It would be interesting to try some of their 4/4 roses.

But finding one which has 4/4 rating, some fragrance, full blooms and doesn't look like it will ball with the first rain is actually a challenge.

• Dave6aMO
    yesterday

It’s so fun seeing these unique roses you grow that we in the US can only dream of, Marlorena. I do like the subtle color variation of Wildberry and Eisvogel is quite a novel beauty. When you say they’re a strange breed, do you feel it is because they are too modern in color while trying to trying to appear like an antique rose?

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    yesterday

Dave.... I'm not used to them, nor hybrid teas these days, so it's a culture shock when you go from the Old Roses and Austins, with their lax habits, floppy canes and weak necks, then you find these very stiff upright roses, with huge fat blooms held on rigid necks that go straight up, petals that are so thick the buds need all the heat they can get to open... they detest cool, cloudy damp weather... they just take an age to open in those conditions..

..I would hate to try any of these in a less than full sun situation, it's just a no-go that one..

..but I do enjoy the richness of colour tones, the interesting mix of colours at different stages... you don't quite know what to expect and it takes you by surprise..

..with Tantau roses I feel I'm dealing with something I've not dealt with before...

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

I agree that Augusta Luise likes it hot and sunny. She did not like our cold winds in spring a bit. Here is a bloom on July 21 when it was nearly 100F. Diane