Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surfer_kim

Fireplace wall ideas needed!

Kim Veld
3 years ago

This is our brown fireplace wall. Houzz members suggested changing it.
I love the white/farmhouse/Magnolia look.

Would you paint this wall:

• cloud white (BM) to match the trim
  • Manchester Tan (BM) to match the walls around it
  • put up white shiplap wherever there is drywall (above mantel)

I really would like to go more white/light, but am unsure how to make it look good with a black fireplace and darker rock (unchangeable). We are changing the couch/sofa/art/IKEA storage units.

Would you:

• stain the mantel a different colour. If so, to what?
  • paint the cupboards white? (I do not like DIY paint look and would rather replace the cupboards if I could - I can’t because of the rock - so I would try hard to make the paint job look professional, maybe even buy white doors and just paint the box).

Any other suggestions?:) I appreciate any and all advice!! 😊

Comments (5)

• Aglitter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think the shiplap above the mantle would compete with the pronounced lines of that particular stone style that you had. Fixer Upper, the show that promoted shiplap to a great degree, is in reruns now. It was just announced this week, I believe, that a new Fixer Upper series will start filming in 2021. I've been curious to know if the hosts will move forward from some of the styles that they repeated in many homes during their previous 5 seasons and set some new trends.

As to wall color, I'm always in favor of a more non-neutral color myself more so than just white or tan, but that's personal preference. Is there some color you'd like to incorporate that you could use for an accent wall? I grew up in a home that had low storage units like that, and they had big, custom cushions made for them that created seating/sleeping areas. Yours are too small for a sleeping cushion, but if you ever need extra seating, you could consider that idea. If you paint the cabinets and walls white, I have a feeling you're going to be longing for more color. Consider again what other colors you might like to incorporate into the space that would blend with the remainder of your home.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think it's fine. I'd prob get some bench cushions made to top the cabinets under the window

maybe something with a little pattern. everything in there is solid.

or like this one in the corner.

see how they did the little cushion, pillows and a throw?

i'm not really digging the heavy brown chair, or the storage cube thing under the double window. and the square table isn't cutting it for a coffee table.

you need a proper table, a rug, and a large piece of art to hang behind the sofa. and an actual side tale w/a table lamp should go where the white storage containers are.

the fireplace area itself is fine, it's the rest of the room that needs a little extra.

maybe remove the two chairs for now and move the loveseat under the window. get an area rug and a coffee table. arrange the furniture like this:

this room is almost identical to yours (size and window-wise) look at how pretty this is. notice the print ottoman, pillows, window treatments. (and they have an area rug). Notice the two side tables w/lamps. Your room doesn't have any interest. it's all solid, dark colors.

take out the storage cubbies and move them elsewhere. get some diff furniture. (the blue sofas are fine) your brown chairs are too bulky for this spot. if you want chairs, get arm chairs, and preferable something light or with a pattern

like these blue/white chairs. they work w/the dark blue sofa. cute little end tables too. and a blue rug.

this layout shows how to do two sofas facing each other, and two arm chairs, area rug, coffee table.

like yours, only without the windows over the bench seating. notice the cushions and pillow.

pattered area rug. throw, pillows, COLOR, lamp, pendant light , artwork.

or like this. rug, coffee table, side table w/a lamp, some pillows. (ignore the two chairs)

again. coffee table, side table w/a table lamp, pillows, sofas across from each other

• Kim Veld
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all these suggestions :)
    My husband loves his recliner and won’t want to replace it with accent chairs. Any suggestions to make a recliner or super comfy chair work?

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

I actually think your furniture is fine and not overcrowded. Perhaps if you just added more wall art it might give the room a boost of interest you are seeking. You hardly have anything on your walls at present, so you have lots of room to work with.