Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cainna

Deck, patio, or combo?

cainna
3 years ago

I have had one too many tumbles out of that backdoor so it's time to make it safer. The sill of the door is 23" from the ground. The back of the house is L-shaped which I think gives us a few design options. We're indecisive and would love some input from folks here. We are considering:

1. a small porch (8x8') in front of the door, from the near-edge of the window to far-edge of the window by the pet door with steps down to the table area. Table area finished with stone patio area (flagstone or similar). Taller area would have just enough space for a chair/rocker and side table.
  2. a medium deck (12x8') across the part of the house that juts out with steps down to the table area. Maybe room enough for two chairs and a side table.
  3. a large deck across the back of the house, higher at the door (12x8') and step down to the table area (10x10). Keep the L-shape.
  4. a large deck across the back, all one level, squaring off the front edge.

From the two sketches I've attached, you should be able to imagine all four ideas, but I'm happy to clarify anything that isn't clear!

About 10' from the back of the house I have 3 large raised garden beds. We love to sit in the yard and look at them - lots of pollinator activity, hummingbird feeders, etc. I don't plan to move them at this time. Longterm, we could try to change the door to open on the other side or change it to swing inwards and add a screen door there. We still need a safer landing.

We really love our little bungalow. It's 800sq ft, almost 100 years old, and most if not all of the indoor woodwork is intact. We want to maintain the vintage style and not clash our design or materials. Since the shelter-in-place we've really increased our use of the outdoor space and that table is my morning office where I work until the sun gets too hot. My husband's workspace is in the detached garage and our last kid at home is in university. We plan to be here at least 5 years. We're in northern California so there's a long season of outside-time.

Thank you for having a look and I look forward to any suggestions. :)

Comments (24)

• jck910
    3 years ago

I would make it all deck. All the way across the back and include the table area back to house L-shape I guess

cainna thanked jck910
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

Yes what jck said. On the right, using the sidewalk as the border so when the deck is done, the sidewalk is already there to lead traffic around it.

cainna thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • cd7733
    3 years ago

cainna thanked cd7733
  • cd7733
    3 years ago

My text somehow didn't post with the picture. Weird!

I like both but think the one that includes the walkway with a sidestep looks more custom, but I don't think you should have it as two levels unless that's something you want. If you do have two levels, install deck lights to highlight the step down.

cainna thanked cd7733
  • decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I agree, whole hog for all deck. When you change the door swing, consider a retracting screen instead of a swinging screen door.

cainna thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I'd do a deck off the back door area, and a patio cover/pergola for the spot over the windows.

can't find one pic w/both, so I'll post pics w/a deck, and then the patio cover. use your imagination and put the two together

cainna thanked Beth H. :
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

Especially with that backdrop the Yardvaark version is the way to go.

cainna thanked Embothrium
  • cainna
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! I'm blown away by all the great ideas. And the drawings! Thank you all so much.

I keep reminding myself that the first priority is safety at the back door and second priority is keeping with the original look of the house (c. 1929). All of these ideas are better than what's there now. All the suggestions improve the safety of the door, so that leaves me trying to figure out what blends best with the look of the house.

One thing we keep reminding ourselves is that our house is small. Indoors, at least, the space looks best with small-sized furnishings. Regular or large size anything overpowers the space. We don't want to overwhelm the outside either and wonder if the deck across the back is overpowering on the house. We don't want to feel like the house is moored up against a dock! Does it ever happen that a deck feels too big for a house (or yard)?

I was settling around the idea of a two-level deck covering the back of the house, with the sideways step to the sidewalk, and no railings, something like @cd7733's second drawing. We don't want it all at the higher level, because there'll be too much view into the neighbour's yard. Now I'm not sure again! @Yardvaark's plain and simple design is attractive - but wonder what materials for patio and railings would you recommend to keep with the time period?

I really like the splash of veg under the window. That's where our crawlspace access is, so any plants have to be in pots.

@decoenthusiaste What's the advantage of a retracting screen over a screen door?

thanks!

• cainna
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Embothrium I like it too! But what backdrop do you mean?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

A retracting screen simply pulls across the opening when you want breezes but not bugs inside and then retracts out of sight when not needed. For going in and out constantly, it might not be advantageous, but you'll have to maneuver around opening/closing a screen door with food in your hands if you're going to be eating outside. If you have kids going in and out all the time, you might get tired of hearing the screen door slam.

• cainna
    Original Author
    3 years ago

oh - okay, I understand, thanks @decoenthusiaste. Kids are all grown up and moved on save the last one so no worries in that regard. Is a retracting screen something we can open/close with full hands? Does the install need less of the jamb than a screen door? We don't have a full width jamb right now so if we add anything, we're going to be taking on that challenge too.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Not a sales person; everyone here likes Phantom as a brand. You do have to use at least one hand to open and close it. I was thinking more of leaving it open as you go back and forth with stuff to carry and then closing it afterwards. Can't do that so easily with a screen door unless you install some kind of latch to hold it open while you're navigating in and out. People especially like them for exposing a pretty door to view. Since this is a back door, you probably don't care about that much.

• cainna
    Original Author
    3 years ago

got it - thank you so much @decoenthusiaste I will look into them for our front door too. Thanks!

• cainna
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My (embarrassing) attempt to draw a deck idea onto the house. Makes @Yardvaark's look that much better lol!

• PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

or

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

"Does it ever happen that a deck feels too big for a house (or yard)?" Because a deck is raised, making it more or less a 3-dimensional object when viewed from the yard, it can have a much bulkier look than a patio.

Brick, brick-shaped pavers, or nicely finished/decorated concrete would all suit a traditional look.

With a small space, one would probably find that dividing it into two levels creates spaces that seem too small to be truly useful. I think it would be better to try to keep it as a single, larger space. For that reason, it would be good to get it to match the driveway grade, if possible. (We don't have enough information to know what needs to be done in order to make that happen.)

cainna thanked Yardvaark
  • cainna
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Yardvaark. I'm off to research brick, pavers, and concrete options!

What about the railings? Would you suggest wooden in one of the house colours or metal?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

I think sturdy metal railings would look better -- more delicate, less obtrusive -- than wood.

cainna thanked Yardvaark
  • PRO
    Bricks Incorporated
    3 years ago

In keeping appropriate to the era, have you considered using reclaimed brick or stone pavers as the flooring material for your deck or porch? So many decorative design possibilities exist, and reclaimed materials are both eco-friendly and just as old as your home!

https://www.pinterest.com/bricks_inc_chicago/reclaimed-pavers/

http://www.bricksinc.net/salvagedbrick/

Best of luck - love your cute little home!

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

With a small space, one would probably find that dividing it into two levels creates spaces that seem too small to be truly useful. I think it would be better to try to keep it as a single, larger space. For that reason, it would be good to get it to match the driveway grade, if possible.

Yep!

cainna thanked Embothrium
  • pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

I think I would do all deck and all one level. That should give you sufficient room for a table (like you have now) and maybe some seating on the left side of the door. Unless there is a reason (like privacy) why you would prefer not to raise the seating area?

cainna thanked pricklypearcactus
  • fnmroberts
    3 years ago

This is the “Egress Porch” onto our patio. It is 4’ wide with landing style steps. This enables safe transport of items and ease of transition for anyone with mobility issues.