christy_correll

Pet-friendly vines for deck pergola

Denverish Z6A

Hi! 👋 I am looking for recommendations for vines that will grow up and over our pergola to help shade our West-facing deck. The new pergola is gorgeous, but does not provide quite as much shade as we would like mid-day.

The pergola is not attached to the house, but butts right up to the roofline of our brick ranch. So while I am cool with annual maintenance, I don’t want something that is so invasive it could potentially damage the house the minute I turn my back on it.

Here are some of the traits we are seeking in vines for the pergola:

Full sun (west exposure)
Pet-friendly and kid safe
Low to medium water
Drought tolerant
Fast-growing
Not too messy (as we eat on this deck)
Super hardy (Arvada Zone 6A, 5,500 ft.)
Pest-resistant
Won’t destroy treated wood pergola and painted deck (or nearby brick house)
Thrives in slightly alkaline, sandy loam
Bonus: Colorful foliage and/or blooms/blue-green foliage

We have a gorgeous Kintzley’s Ghost honeysuckle that has been growing along a corner of the deck railing for two seasons, but I don’t think it will get big enough to provide shade for the pergola, will it?

We can also plant one type of vine in a part-sun area that is protected, on the NE corner of the deck, between the deck and brick wall of the house.

TIA for your help!

Christy 😊