Software
Houzz Logo Print
taryn_haffner

Help with COREtec LVP flooring options

6 years ago

Hi! I am looking for some outside opinions on the color of LVP flooring for our downstairs great room/kitchen/dining area.


We currently have cheap builder grade dark engineered floors that need to go. We have two dogs and three kids that completely thrashed the floors in the 5 years we've live here. Because of this we are planning to go with LVP. After reviewing several brands at our preferred flooring store we like the look and feel of the COREtec lines.


I am having some trouble selecting the best color for our style and finishes though. I would call my style eclectic mid-century modern, but the house makes it lean more transitional because of all the mill work (columns, built-ins, cabinets). I prefer the lighter and wide plank modern look, but I can't select between the shades and patterns. I've included super imposed images of our top colors below as well as a few more pictures of our space


I would love to know your thoughts! Also, if you have experience with any of these COREtec lines please let me know how you liked it. I am waiting on samples to know the true colors of these options. Thanks!














Comments (23)

  • 6 years ago

    I am gonna guess you’re leaning towards #1 since that’s the one you posted first lol. It seems to have a slight bit of gray in it, which will pull in your counters. That’s the one I would choose. Whatever you do, get a whole box or 3 and lay them out and make sure you love them.

  • 6 years ago

    I agree with KR. I'm drawn to the first, the Noble Oak, as it looks the most realistic to me, and doesn't have a lot of pattern. The pattern of knots, etc on the others repeats several times in your mock-ups and looks less realistic, IMO.

  • 6 years ago

    Have you already decided? I had read somewhere here on Houzz that Noble had a lot of obvious repeats, though in your photo it does go really well with your cooler tones. I have looked at all these samples in person. I liked the bigger plank size and 1/2” thickness of #3. It doesn’t have any rustic elements to it so I think would fit nicely with that transitional vibe you’re looking for. It definitely has more warmth than #1. #4 to me didn’t look as realistic—May have been that it’s not embossed in register where #3 is. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Would love to see what you pick!

  • 6 years ago

    I personally like #1 Noble Oak and last Kobuk HIckory if I were picking in a vacuum. I think in your setting, especially in your kitchen that the 2nd one TULUM HICKORY goes well and combines the warmer and cool gray tones .My pick for your house would be TULUM

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I m not crazy on any of the colors; they all look fine on their own, but are very light and don't mesh well your colors and furnishings.. Your current ones are very dark but they anchor the space better and the tones work better with what's already there. Can you try something a little darker?

  • 5 years ago

    Tayrn floors looks great. May I ask why you choose LVP? We need to add flooring to our home, but am so confused with so much out there LVP, engineered hardwood, real hardwood. How to decide! The how to decide on a brand - my head is spinning!


  • 5 years ago

    Thank you! We hard engineered hardwoods previously and they didn’t hold up to the two dogs and three kids in our house. We also live in a suburban neighborhood where it is likely a family would buy and there aren’t luxury finishes. In my dream home with no kids I would do solid hard wood, but the investment was too much for the risk of damaging them and I couldn’t deal with engineered again. I’m sure there are some engineered hardwoods that last better than others, but my family is hard on floors. If you go with LVP do your research and make sure to talk to an informed flooring person. There is a lot of bad LVP product out there. Our Coretec LVP ended up being more expensive than engineered would have been, but it will last longer and was the most realistic feeling. Laminate is just bad all around in my opinion. Hope that helps!

  • 5 years ago

    We just did our entire Florida House using Coretec LVP. Yes, some are more wood looking than others, you need to find one that appeals to YOU.

    Hardwood is always a top choice but it is not always the best choice.

    I have hardwood up north and yes there are areas that will need to be addressed for upkeep

    .Although people do use hardwood in Florida it was not the best choice due to our moisture level.

    I’m very happy with the floors. The ease of care, drop something on it, no problem. Dog scratches, none. Drag that chair across the room, no issue.


  • 5 years ago

    Taryn the floor looks great! What color are your walls?

  • 5 years ago

    Taryn, I got a sample of Aurora and saw that there was mismatch in texture and prints. Not sure if that’s because it was a flawed sample. Do you see that issue with the plank you have installed?

  • 5 years ago

    Catherine, it’s true the print does not match the embossed texture. I found that it’s not noticeable unless you get close, but it is something to keep in mind if you are looking for something that passes as wood.

  • 5 years ago

    Is this what you are referring to? The patch on the left hand side of the sample?

  • 5 years ago

    Hmmm no, ours wasn’t that noticeable. The texture doesn’t match perfectly, but I don’t believe it was completely mismatched like that.

  • 5 years ago

    I really love the way it looks! I am waiting on Aurora oak for the 1st floor of my lake house where the bedrooms are. Mine was backordered for a few weeks and is not going in until the end of Feb. I didn't notice the mismatch of texture and print and i don't see it in your photos. i had to go with the slightly thinner product rather than the wildly popular Calypso or Cairo oak as it it being installed over burgundy tile. Can't wait for my floors and your is the !st I'm seeing of the Aurora Oak that is not a company pic. To me it is the perfect light color, not too warm, not too washed out and not too grey. I hope the mismatch is not noticeable!

  • 5 years ago

    Jackie Hart, I just realized I missed you comment. They are Agreeable Grey by Sherwin Williams.

  • 5 years ago

    Pmoskie, every person I’ve had come over (which admittedly is not many right now), has said they can’t believe how real it looks. Until you go to feel it with your hands or bare feet, it’s very hard to tell it’s vinyl.

  • 5 years ago

    I am trying to decide on a color for our floors we were thinking of going with Aurora Oak. The sample looks much lighter in person, do you have any more pictures? Do you still love your choice, since you did have engineered wood floors before to compare them too.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    vivianamoore06 The Aurora Oak is pretty light. Here is a pic in our hallway on the lower level of our lake house and a closer-up pic. I love the color. it is very neutral in tone, not too warm/yellow, not too gray/cool.




  • 5 years ago

    thanks all.

    going through the same confusion. we have pretty dark engineered hardwood floors and they get chipped regularly.

    we want to go light flooring. debating between engineered hardwood and lvp.

  • 4 years ago

    Is the aurora oak along the gray side. i am trying to decide . and does it have alot of variation. i saw you pictures and the floor looks beautiful but it ’s hard to tell from pictures

  • 4 years ago

    Marcey, I wouid say it leans gray and is more cool toned to neutral. The variation is moderate. I’ve seen some floors with very liitle variation and some with tons of variation, Aurora oak seems midway on the variation scale…

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you trying to stay away from gray, not sure what to go with at this point.