webuser_565642254

Bathroom remodel

EMC Horne
last month
last modified: last month

Having trouble picking out vanity and tiles for a bathroom....I don't have an eye for this so I need to see it pulled together visually as walking in the store to look is overwhelming. Any ideas of sites to use to create a design?

Comments (50)

• houssaon
    last month

You can browse Houzz photos for bathrooms that match your requirements and save photos you like in idea albums for reference. You can even buy bath products on Houzz.

If you upload a jpeg photo of your bath, you will get recommendations from the community.

EMC Horne thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

We need photos of the space, a rough layout and adjoining rooms to see colors and furniture styling.

• Related Discussions

Bathroom Remodel Challenge!

Q

Comments (31)
    That looks amazing! I love the accent tile by the mirror. Looks like you used the same in the shower. Great job.
    ...See More

DIY Bathroom Remodel: from worst bathroom ever, to bright and fun!

Q

Comments (37)
    Wow, thanks so much everyone for your nice comments! I'm a little shocked :) Since this post we've put on a few more finishing touches: hung a linen cabinet over the toilet along with some art, did all the grout work around the door, added an oak threshold, and had a custom floor register made (in a cute herringbone!) to hide my "custom" tile job. Live and learn, right? All you nice people have made my day - thank you!!
    ...See More

Need help with bathroom(s) remodel

Q

Comments (3)
    2 small but full-use bathrooms -- particularly in a 3 bedroom home -- is much more valuable than 1 large bath. The half bath in the basement does NOT make up the difference if you lose a full bath upstairs. You didn't mention if you have direct access from the master bedroom into the nearest bathroom....??? If you don't, I'd definitely do that, if at all possible. It's unquestionably your best investment.
    ...See More

Accessible bathroom remodel for a 1980's bathroom

Q

Comments (23)
    Very nice! The shower looks very convenient, with everything within reach. I had looked at that TP holder when doing my ADA remodel, but it turned out to be too modern for my fixtures. Do you like it as a grab bar? All of your fixtures go so well together, good job! I really like your floor tile, too.
    ...See More
  • EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks.....home was a foreclosure and unfortunately I am just getting to the point to do some remodeling. This is a jack and Jill bath for a teen girl and boy. I want to add double sinks, current vanity 72 inches but will need to be replaced as well as counter and

• btydrvn
    last month

Houzz photos are a great source for overall bathroom ideas...type in “jack and jill bath teens” to start...then try any descriptive variations ...you can even include a color you like in this inquiry...this will give you pics of whole baths to guide you in your choices ...much easier than having to choose every element separately

• btydrvn
    last month

Once you find something you love..if needed you can re-post here for help in how to apply the ideas to your layout

• Dr. Horne
    last month

great

• Dr. Horne
    last month

I like these looks....thoughts

• shirlpp
    last month

Do the teens like it?

What is the size of your bathroom?

• Dr. Horne
    last month

They don't really care to be honest...my son said save the money and buy him a car! I dont want white or light colors.....they are athletes and hard on everything!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

DR Horne...does Your home have a rustic darker style like the bathrooms you posted?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Dark tiles show soap scum..I would consider something lighter not so dark

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

Good point..no the home has builder beige carpet and tan walls however our furniture is brown leathers and cherry wood tables.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

I did a remodel with similar size for a client awhile back. he wanted a bit more modern/transition look.

Before:

we borrowed a bit of space from the garage to make a larger shower.

Tiles were a 3x12 blue/gray subway in a stacked pattern, a 1x4 porcelain herringbone mosaic for the shower floor, a dark charcoal quartz piece for the curb, and a 12x24 dark charcoal porcelain floor tile.

He wanted to use a modern floating vanity.

the top was a remnant leftover from his kitchen remodel. I suggested the wall mount faucet since it would give him more vanity space and be easier to clean.

Round backlit mirror, marble mosaic tile behind the vanity that works w/the shower tile.

the recessed medicine cabinet was removed and replaced with walnut shelving (not finished in this pic)

in fact, I don't have the finished pictures since he wanted to do all of the painting himself.

we installed a pocket door so that there would be no door to take up the interior space.

Again, it's not completely finished in this picture.

If you're keeping the vanity, I'd paint it, get new hardware, and find a remnant piece of granite or quartz (or a pre-fab vanity top) for the countertop.

This is river white granite with a painted white vanity, new hardware. You could easily do this.

new sink and faucet
    this is a double, but if you only have room for one sink, that's fine.

ideas on tiling behind the vanity, and getting a diff mirror and lights. This soft blue gray is nice,

White quartz top, shiplap, sconces and round mirror.

decide what kind of mirror you want and type of lighting

Paint the vanity a deep navy color^

shower

Glass tile in the shower

This one is Cloe Tile in the shower, a porcelain tile on the floor, and a marble vanity top.

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

I love the remodel. The dark charcoal floor tile is nice and the mosaic floor. I am not a fan of white vanities.....is there another color that would work well with the floor color?

• RedRyder
    last month

A wood vanity might be more practical in your situation.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Something like these images would flow well with your home...not too dark.

• apple_pie_order
    last month

For two teens, easy cleanup would be high on my list of priorities. Big wall tiles have less grout than small tiles. No pebble tiles unless both teens are excited about cleaning them with toothbrushes, seeing as how the hard water deposits on the existing shower are significant.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

EMC, a walnut or lighter wood would be fine w/the dark colors. You could choose more of a darker gray vanity and go w/a lighter color floor tile as well.

if you like your current vanity, have it painted to whatever color you like.

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

@apple_pie_order I definitely want bigger tiles as my kids are definitely not the cleanest!

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

I plan to replace the existing vanity and top as well... thank you all for the suggestions! I plan to go out this weekend to see what I can find.

• felizlady
    last month

Since this bathroom will be shared by two teens who will each want their privacy, do
    what I did: install a keyed lock on both doors ( key side in the bedroom, lock button side in the bathroom on both doors). Hang the key for each lock on the side of the bathroom door frame in each bedroom. The locks will be operated by the turn-button on each door lock inside the bathroom. One kid will inevitably forget to unlock the other’s door when leaving the bathroom, and the locked-out teen will have to use his/her key to get into the bathroom. And you know they will do it on purpose. Now for the bathroom: two sinks are a MUST. Each kid should have his/her own bank of three or four drawers next to his/her own sink. He has one color for his towels, she has a different color for her towels. They each have a towel hook and a towel bar, their own soap dish or pump, and separate under-sink storage. You can install two matching medicine cabinets, if desired, or two mirrors, or one long mirror for the whole vanity.

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

felizlady what colors did you go with as our situations sound similar..

one teen girl and a teen boy...

I am thinking about this vanity because I like the dark charcoal floors that Beth H. shared.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Looking at your ideabook...I really think you should go with a stained wood vanity...you can still do a medium rich tiled floor...seems you like warm tones so would not add shades of grey Into the bathroom....I feel like that light grey more country looking vanity will not really mix well with the rest of your home or look anything like the inspiration images in your ideabook...

EMC Horne thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

emc,,, i wanted to show you some similar dark floor tiles.

there is a ceramic from tilebar.. (they have a ton of other similar looks)

https://tilebar.com/halo-mercury-graphite-24x24-textured-porcelain-tile.html

Or, if you want natural, there is black slate

Or a Basalt tile

This one is 'flamed' so it has more of a grayish tint. other honed basalt tiles can be very black.

I think since you don't like white, a warmer wood vanity would look very nice w/the darker floor

I posted 60" because I don't know your exact size, but these all come in 72" too)

Doug Fir.

Woodland Bluestone, Natural Fir, 72" · More Info

white washed walnut w/marble top

Chicago 72" Double Vanity, White Washed Walnut, 3cm Carrara White Marble Top · More Info

antique gray wash on wood

Grace Mid-century Bathroom Vanity w/Sink, Carrara Marble Top, Antique Gray, 60" · More Info

blue is pretty

Elizabeth 60" Double Sink Carrara White Marble Vanity, Monarch Blue, Vanity Only · More Info

or maybe you like the grayish tones. these would be beautiful w/the dark floor. and it comes w/the mirror

Caroline Avenue 72" Double Vanity Gray, Marble Top, Square Sink, Mirror · More Info

I have this style vanity (but in black) in my own bathroom and really like it. You can top any of these with your own countertops, or choose the option to have one sent w/the vanity.

Providence 60" Double Vanity, Driftwood, Without Top · More Info

this one is mine:

EMC Horne thanked Beth H. :
  • EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

I think I agree with @home@Home Interiors with Ease. My home has such warm tones the gray made not work well. I do plan on remodeling other areas in my home though so maybe it is time for a overhaul!

@Beth H. : the driftwood may fit it well with my current house look?

this is my living room now....the carpet will be replaced here and throughout downstairs next.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Good morning EMC Horne...

no image in last post?

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

I know I am trying to upload it....it is being difficult :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Ok..once you post it wait until the picture is full color before hitting submit😊

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

@Hom Interiors with Ease

The picture is not great because it wouldn't upload from my phone.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Ok thanks it helps to see your home..you do have taupe sofas..if you just changed your wall color it would really give a nice update and open up the space visually...taupe and grey work well together so you could add that in the bathroom but I would do a traditional Or transitional medium to dark wood vanity..

• EMC Horne thanked Julie Zygmontowicz
  • EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

@Beth H. : the vanity size is 72, this is the size of the current one. So I am looking for the same size with double sinks

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

@Home Interiors with Ease and @Julie Zygmontowicz

I really like the look of both vanities....I really think this fits more in the style of my home and I really love the woods and grey together. Can you share where you find the tiles and vanity so I can look a vanity sizes, etc...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Both from Home Depot 72”

• PRO
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

don't forget to look at vanities here on Houzz

they have quite a selection

EMC Horne thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
  • suezbell
    last month

Is the space large enough for a small, even tiny, private powder room for each of the teens (preferably w/small window) at the exterior wall, with each powder room also connected to a shared third "room" between the interior wall and a hallway with a shower? That would certainly be preferable than a shared vanity.

• felizlady
    last month

They can pick their own color for towels, etcetera. They need to agree that they will respect the other’s privacy
    and not take too much time in there with the other locked out.

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

@suezbell the space isn't large enough for separate the bathroom accommodations and the one window is small and located in the shower area.

• EMC Horne
    Original Author
    last month

@Home Interiors with Ease @Beth H. :

@Julie Zygmontowicz thank you for all the suggestions

I think I am narrowing down all the wonderful suggestions. The family and I like the Avanity Madison Tobacco color vanity....home depot had the best price on it!

Now we are ready to narrow down the countertop and tile. Thoughts on this counter top? I want a darker floor so I think I need a lighter top. Of course it would need to be larger to fit to 72 in vanity.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last month

Good morning..pick your flooring first than counter top....I am thinking you will need to go a bit warmer for vanity top.

• suezbell
    last month

Have you considered three sinks -- only one in the bath for hand washing but also a very small one in each bedroom with a mirror above it for grooming? That could leave you more room for a larger shower (likely meaning quicker showers).

A wall hung toilet and sink could make cleaning the floor a lot easier. Alternately, consider choosing the mid-height toilet rather than the shorter one -- sore joints after a workout will appreciate that and, after having had both, I believe they're actually a little bit easier to clean.

A rule in place from the very beginning that the teens sharing a bathroom cannot leave much, if anything, in the bathroom and what is to be left must be put away ... not left on the counter -- that could help keep the peace ... as can scheduling use time limits for showers and grooming within the bathroom.

You could make sure each teen also has storage space in their bedroom, preferably beside the bathroom door. Studs are usually placed with sixteen inch centers -- about fourteen inches between studs. In the bedroom beside the door to the bath, you could create a full height -- baseboard to crown moulding -- recessed , built in cabinet with a door (with or without visible hardware) for storing bath related items.

You could also invest in a container that might be easily carried back and forth between bedroom and bath with shower/grooming related items. Some luggage pieces might be worth considering for that purpose.

EMC Horne thanked suezbell
  • Dr. Horne
    28 days ago

@Home Interiors with Ease ,@Julie Zygmontowicz

countertop and flooring ideas so far, I think I like the one Julie suggested

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    28 days ago

Hi Dr. Horne.....HIWE and Julie are one and the same!....🤗🤷🏼‍♀

Have no idea why my name Julie Zygmontowicz posted instead of my Pro business name? But it’s me.

• Dr. Horne
    28 days ago

@Home Interiors with Ease 😂😂😂 Well, Dr. Horne and EMC Horne are both me as well. I was wondering why that occurred but glad its not just me.

So what do you think of the smoky taupe tile with the Tobacco vanity?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    27 days ago

It will look beautiful...go with a solid off white quartz counter top.

• Dr. Horne
    27 days ago

@Home Interiors with Ease I hate to keep bothering you. Do you have any suggestions for the shower wall and floor tiles?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    26 days ago

I think you need to get sample of the floor tiles and go from there..you can doo a lighter wall tile with a taupe/charcoal mosaic for a accent..so many to pick from..but you need to match it to floor tile colors.