Software
Houzz Logo Print
ottingerj

Help needed converting carpeted floating stairs to wood or epoxy/resin

6 years ago

I purchased a home with metal stairs with concrete pan treads. They are currently covered in beige carpet. We would like to remove the carpet and cover the treads in wood or painted concrete or resin and replace the railing to achieve a cleaner more modern look. I would rather not replace the entire staircase. Has anyone done this? Do you have advice on how to do this? and pictures of your before and after? Thank you. We are located in Central Florida. I have attached the picture of the current stairs.


Comments (12)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I think your best bet is to call out a stair professional. you aren't doing this DIY are you? Call out a few companies and see what they can do for you.

    to be honest though, I'd want to redo the railing if your goal is to have a more modern look

    any of these will look much better. Might as well do the entire thing one time.















  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! Yes, we will definitely redo the railing which will help but the beige carpet needs to go too. We will call out a professional as we are not DIY family but not sure what our options are for concrete pan stairs. (Honestly I think they were supposed to be an external staircase that was used inside! And I think the stair companies want to fully replace the stairs! I Do like your railing suggestions

  • 6 years ago

    Hopefully i can cover the treads as not easily removed. Pictures a beautiful.

  • 6 years ago

    One suggestion. If you have or expect to have children in the future, the horizontal balusters (or strings) are very unsafe for small children as it becomes a climbing jungle gym. That said, I love the look.

  • 6 years ago

    everything pictured is code compliant. kids can climb on anything if allowed.

    as for the 'cables', they'd no more be a jungle gym than other balusters. teaching children what to do and what not to do is a parenting issue.


  • 6 years ago

    I didn’t say they weren’t code compliant. It was a piece of advice.

  • 6 years ago

    heritage, I know you didn't . I was just mentioning the unsafe part regarding kids in case the op didn't know.

    Stairs and balusters are all unsafe when it comes to kids. doesn't matter what they're made of. kids will climb on anything. that's why I mentioned the teaching part. it was nothing against your comment.

  • 6 years ago

    If you cover the concrete and steel treads with a material, it will have to be thin, as you can't change the riser height to create different riser dimensions. You might want to do a little measuring to confirm.

    Jennifer G thanked Seabornman
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    IMO since you are changing the railing I assume you are not doing that DIY so when you get the quote for that ask about the stairs as to what will be your best bet. I thinl the polished concrete might be the perfect answer but you need a pro.

    Jennifer G thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all!. My hope is that I can polish (paint? stain?) the concrete but since it is a pan I assume there is metal on edge and bottom. Perhaps it can all be painted/stained/polished to be the same color. I would love to see what others have done with similar concrete pan stairs.!

  • 5 years ago

    Hi! Just wondering what you end up doing and how much it cost you? We just bought our house and has a very similar problem!