jerijensunsetz24

'Mme. Lambard' -- Tea Rose

jerijen

This 1878 Tea Rose is one of the most-commonly-found roses in old cemeteries and 19th-century gardens around Northern California. 'Mme. Lambard'/'Mme. Lombard' is chameleon-like in her color changes, so she's got a whole collection of "study names". She can mildew a bit, but I forgive her that, because she pumps out blooms for me constantly, during the winter months.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.4016

My plant was grown from a cutting we collected in an old cemetery off CA Hwy. 49 -- The "Gold Rush" Highway.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I'm pretty sure I have two of these beauties. One was supposed to be Georgetown Tea but I thrilled with them here. It is possible they are both GT, but either way they are lovely. Yours looks so delicate, Jeri, in a delightful way.

jerijen thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)

Lovely, as always, Jeri. Thank you so much for sharing. I do wish Houzz would hurry up and reinstate the Like button for Original Posts, since I'm not always up to posting a coherent comment, but would often like to be able to respond, when someone's gone to all the trouble of posting pics of their beautiful roses, and/or sharing their thoughts.

jerijen thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • jerijen

Sheila, out of pure curiosity, where'd your soi disant "Georgetown Tea" come from?

Apparently, some rosarians believe that the two are the same, but Cass Bernstein, who has a great eye for detail, says that they are distinct.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Jeri, my ML and GT came together from ARE in 2016. I have debated but now think they are identical. I saw the Cass remarks and photos on HMF. I replicated her experiment with one bloom from each bush. This led me to believe they were identical and ML. GT was supposed to be more cream and pink at the petal base, and ML more yellow. Mine below.

The blooms selected were small ones since I was going to pull them apart. The right and left side of the plate showed both rose's petal base and they were the same.

• roseseek

Of course, it's possible they are distinct and you received one rose with two different names. "Things" happen.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Kim, I think that was what Cass thought. There was a rose with a cream/pink petal base that she saw that was different than my two roses that is the real Georgetown Tea. I just don't have it. I do think I got one rose with two different labels.

• jerijen

Sheila, I bet you're right.