kellycmackay75

Need floor tile help for odd shaped bathroom!!

kellycmackay75

Please help me decide what shape and size floor tiles would work best in this angled bathroom. Large format tiles can become small fragments in an angled bathroom so I'm not in favor of them. I was thinking about a medium-sized porcelain hexagon shape but don't know how they would look being cut on an angle. Also, depending on the tile, I need to know in which direction to lay them.

I live in the desert, and my house is Spanish colonial so I want to keep that style in mind. Also, any help with shower wall and floor tiles would be appreciated as well.

Thank you all for your help! I really need it!

• kellycmackay75

Flo,

Thanks so much! Looks great! I will do the taping and templates tomorrow. You are amazing!

It would have taken me 3-5 days to come up with that sketch if ever.

• kellycmackay75

Ok, I've completed my first attempt at a mockup. I have created a mirror template using photos for dimensions of frame as well as arch size and placement..

From Floor:

1st tape line-countertop height 36.75"

2nd tap line-4" backsplash 40.75"

Bottom of mirror-5.75" gap (was going for 6") 46.50"

Sconces:

Floor to back plate midpoint 65"

Floor to light bulb 68"-70"

Wall to back plate midpoint 14"

Mirror to back plate midpoint 7.75"

Floor to bottom 54.75" Floor to top 79.25"

Mirror:

Floor to mirror center 68"

Let me know what you think.

I need help with an large odd-shaped bathroom in a geodesic house

I love the way geodesic homes look! Do you have a photo to share of your space?

Help!!! Need help selecting tile for bathroom floor

The simplicity of the bath could benefit from a sort of busy floor..maybe a mosaic that represents your style..an artsy widely spaced pattern...a decorative border with a simple center...a zig - zag...?

Need help for an odd shape bathroom

A registered interior designer can provide you with the best layout for your bathroom. In the U.S. we use feet and there are building codes and min space requirements. You can easily get a qualified professional to draw a layout that meets standards and will be livable.

Need help with tile for a shower base, bathroom floor and walls.

Here are the materials I used recently in a gray, white and black shower: Shower walls: Emser Uptown Sugar Hill (light grey) 12 x 24 Shower floor: QDI The Rock Black 3 x 3 Curb, ponywall tops and tub surround: Marble (same as my countertop material, but you could choose a quartz or light granite, instead of marble). You can repeat your countertop material, but if you don't want to you can pick any white tile (a mosaic, a pretty shape, etc) for the white part of your combination. We happen to have a woodfloor in this bathroom, but if I were putting tile on the floor I probably would have put the Sugar Hill. I was in Emser and Arizona Tile today and they seem to be showing a lot of light gray/greige tiles that are light enough so that you would not darken the space too much by using them. IMO shiny chrome shower fixtures look really nice with this color combo. Good luck!
  • btydrvn

Looks like the lights should be centered on the mirrorr

kellycmackay75 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn

Section

• claire larece

does that height of vanity includes countertop?

• kellycmackay75

New photo-

Right Sconce 63" floor to center

Left Sconce 62" floor to center

I think I will cut out the sconces for a more clear picture of what it will look like.

• kellycmackay75

The first line is vanity ht. + countertop=36.75"

The second line is the backsplash.

• kellycmackay75

Cut out sconces:

Right 63" Left 62" from floor to center of back plate

• everdebz

Watching progress, fun. I'm just copying online advice:

"personal preference... Generally, between 60”-65” from the floor. The height should land just around eye level, preventing unflattering shadows or harsh glares."

kellycmackay75 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

Houzz: The American Lighting Association’s general rule is to mount them 65 to 70 inches from the floor, at about eye level. This allows light to fully illuminate your entire face without casting shadows. Ideally, the fixtures should be placed about 28 to 30 inches apart, but achieving this depends on the size of the room and configuration of the design.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-get-your-bathroom-vanity-lighting-right-stsetivw-vs~57853042

kellycmackay75 thanked everdebz
  • kellycmackay75

everdebz,

Thanks for your research! Sconces are different heights so how do you know what part of the sconce to put at eye level-the middle of the back plate, the middle of the sconce, the middle of the light bulb?? I am 5'7" and my eye level is 62.25".

Also, my mirror is 29.5" wide so my sconces won't be 28"-30" apart-I don't think they'd look too good attached to the mirror frame :)

Flo Mangan

Ok. Nice work. Guidelines are just that. You adjust for your space and use. I think I would lower mirror. With the shape it needs to be lower. About 2”. I like sconce on right so lower it 2” too and level up other side. Should be great.

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
  • kellycmackay75

Thanks Flo! Ok I will make the adjustments and post another photo. I am still wondering about a vanity backsplash. Does the tile have to have all warm colors?

Flo Mangan

The backsplash tile needs at least one warm color. An orange along with blue and cream works.

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
  • btydrvn

The backsplash seems very skinny (out of proportion) in sketch..once you lower the mirror maybe the splash should be wider.....almost...or touch the mirror base?

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

btydrvn,

Thanks for your thoughts. The backsplash is 4" from the top of the vanity to the top of the tape above so you have to include the tape itself as part of the height. That could be part o f why it looks too narrow. I wouldn't mind having a 6" backsplash.

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

Here is the lowered mirror and sconces. The sconce on the left may look better, but standing in the room, it seems too low. The floor is 2" lower than it will be so right now my eye meets the lowest part of the shade. Standing 2" higher, I think the sconce would definitely be too low. Thoughts?

• btydrvn
    yesterday

To incorporate the size and shape of the mirror and needed height of sconces...and to make the mirror part of the whole group...a much higher back splash would make sense...never mind the obvious...does water only splash lower than 4”?...teeny splash ..BIG mirror...BIG counter?..proportion and function are both important

kellycmackay75 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    yesterday

My impression was the mirror may need to be raised to bring the sconce lighting up high enough?...also lost track of what tile was chosen for the flooring...(hoping it will be installed parallel layout starting at the door opening)

kellycmackay75 thanked btydrvn
  • kellycmackay75
    yesterday

btydrvn,

Ha ha my mind thinks like yours regarding splash sizes and backsplash height. Whoever thought 4" was high enough for water issues?! Yes, the tile will be parallel to door opening. Yeah, the sconce doesn't look right when its top point is even with the part of the mirror that starts to curve. It definitely looks better below that point. Thanks for your perceptions.

Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Remember back when I suggested taller maybe sculpted backsplash? Might be time to revisit that.

Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Those are pretty, but you have to select all your tiles together so they work together. If you go with those, then you have to go more white and I don't think that is the best direction for a Spanish look. It would require different floor tiles and shower tiles. Can you do it, sure. but it will also direct all the choices in the other rooms as well, so be sure.

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Has to work with countertop as well. So, start with what you want on the floor and then countertop, then shower walls, then accent tile. Then we can figure out wall color once everything is selected. You already have the "rustic sconces and mirror", so that is in the "warm" family. I truly believe, you need to stay in warm colors. Your vanity stain will also be fairly warm being wood. Right? See what I mean. These choices all build on each other. Kind of like Jingo, when you pull one piece out, it affects all the others. lol!

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Opps - auto correct! The game Jenga.

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

Flo,

Yes I know you are right. I think I will just have to give up on tiles because I can't find what I'm looking for. Countertop backsplash it is.

• AJCN
    yesterday

Hello, I have a 6" backsplash and I like it because it provides a little bit of a taller background for the faucet.

Are you saying that you are giving up on a colorful backsplash because you can't find tiles you like? Maybe leave it empty for a few weeks after the countertop is installed while you look around some more.

kellycmackay75 thanked AJCN
  • kellycmackay75
    yesterday

AJCN,

I totally agree with you about the taller backsplash complimenting the faucet better. Yes, that's what I'm saying about the tiles. You are right that I don't have to choose my backsplash now. I can certainly wait until after the countertop is installed to make my final decision. That's a good suggestion. Thanks!

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

So if the backsplash is 6"H, should the mirror be placed 2" or more above the mirror?

• btydrvn
    yesterday

As to the mirror height ...after seeing the cutouts it doesnt seem to be quite as important to center them on the mirror...the higher one on the right looks fine...however ...the mirror height and sconce position should come first....the backsplash after...and...the tiles should not dictate the backsplash height...the backsplash space should dictate the tile choice....the goal being the tallest backsplash possible..so use smaller tiles if necessary , to fill the space fully from counter to mirror...

kellycmackay75 thanked btydrvn
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

The position of the mirror is key to use. Get that set then splash tile can wait. You could even design a niche for mirror with tile around it. Lots of options.

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
  • btydrvn
    yesterday

Another option would be a border along the top of the backsplash ..if needed to get the right height and use your tile of choice...waiting is ...of course ...best..as the backsplash may need to be more or less exciting depending on all the other features

kellycmackay75 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    yesterday

You may want to have the electrician leave extra wire to the sconces...in case doing tile on the whole wall above the counter in a simpler tile is more appealing...this is not much space to do ...and maybe a fancy splash will complicate the rustic aesthetic...

kellycmackay75 thanked btydrvn
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

I found this and it might give you some inspiration for adding some beige tiles to your blue and white to soften the white look. You could do something like this but of course designed with your mirror in mind.

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
  • kellycmackay75
    yesterday

Well you Houzzers are just full of great ideas! To Do List: 1. Mirror placement 2. Sconce placement ...17. Backsplash Now I have so much more to think about. I really appreciate your suggestions!

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

btydrvn,

Borders work for me. Don't worry, I'm not a fancy splash kind of girl. You are right about the tiles complimenting the rustic Spanish style. I want something subdued and not too busy. There is extra wire length for the sconces. I have considered a tiled wall. Below are some ideas I like, but I want the mirror shape to stand out so they may be a bit busy.

Woodside Residence · More Info

I like this one, though it may be too bold.

Bathroom Design Ideas · More Info

I would consider something like this wall tile for the vanity wall. The same tile is used for the backsplash.

Bathroom Design Ideas · More Info

I like this tile for a backsplash, but maybe it would be too much.

Rolling Hills, CA · More Info

This shower tile could be nice for a tiled vanity wall.

Fresh Contemporary Spanish Colonial · More Info

I could do something like this, but I would place the decorative border higher.

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

Flo,

Wow. The beige really does soften the white tile. That is a great idea! Thanks! I will look into that combination.

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

Ok Here is the mirror touching an 8" backsplash. In my master bath, I measured where my eyes hit the mirror while bending over my vanity to look closer at my face. I tested that height with this mockup. The mirror is not too high, and the sconces look ok in the image, but in person, they look low. I think I will try to make the sconces 3-D to see if that helps with placement.

Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Please put a piece of blue tap at 63” above floor in the mirror.

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
  • everdebz
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Hey....smart to watch details. Here's your post:

at eye level: the middle of the sconce, the middle of light bulb?? I am 5'7" and my eye level is 62.25"

... I'd think where the light 'shines' whether up or down, toward your face idk!

kellycmackay75 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    yesterday

gosh I just got it that's why Flo said to tape it. I feel a slight dumb.

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

The top of the tape is 63". I moved the right sconce up to see what it would look like because my husband said it was too low. I guess he has a point because he is 6'1".

• claire larece
    yesterday

and your husband is totally right your mirror has to go the 63" mark as well

• kellycmackay75
    yesterday

I forgot to give these measurements: Top of mirror to 63"=24" Bottom of mirror to 63"=21".

• claire larece
    yesterday

couldn't you put up the walls first before doing measurements for vanity, mirror and sink?

Flo Mangan
    yesterday

We are working on determining where electricals should go Claire for the sconces. At 63” I think that works. The shades for sconces should be roughly at face height. Right too high, left could go up a inch or two. Look at where the “backplate” is located though. That is what needs attention here. Let me grab fixture. Bbl

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

See mock up. The backplate is the square part of fixture. That is where the center of the junction box needs to be located. The fixture then sits on wall where you want shade to sit. This box is not centered to total fixture so you will have to do the best you can in locating where wires should go. If they leave 12” or so of extra wire that will allow adjustments once you get mirror, vanity etc installed.

kellycmackay75 thanked Flo Mangan
  • claire larece
    yesterday

Don't these mirrors come in different sizes? I think you should get one that is a more taller. For a sink I see plywood that shouldn't be there. I get the electrical stand point but your measurements will not work for the dimensions will change once everything is in.

• kellycmackay75
    14 hours ago

Flo,

Thanks for the mockup. I will adjust the sconces today and tell the GC I need at least 12" of extra wire. Your input is invaluable.

• kellycmackay75
    14 hours ago

Claire,

Thanks for your interest in my project. The mirror is vintage and only comes in one size.

• kellycmackay75
    5 hours ago

Here is my new mockup. The right sconce hits the 63" mark at middle of shade (2 1/2" from shade bottom).

The left sconce hits the 63" mark at bottom of shade.