kcorn

Kitchen remodel next steps - please help!

kcorn

I am turning to this fantastic forum once again for help with a continuation of our kitchen remodel. We moved in over 5 years ago and while we wanted to completely redo the kitchen, we only made a few small changes back in 2016. See link for previous changes (Prior views of kitchen - phase I).

We investigated doing a full remodel, but for many reasons, we have decided to keep the layout essentially the same while giving this space a fresh update. This will include:

- hardwood floors

- reduce 2 tier island to single level and add trim to sides and back of island

- replace wine rack with floating shelves

- add 6" crown to all cabinets

- paint all cabinets white

- New countertops (white quartz), sinks, faucets, light fixtures, window treatments

- tile backsplash under all cabinets and under hood

A couple of questions I have for you all...

1. Should we paint the island a different color? We were thinking a slate blue, but because the island is so large, I'm worried it might be too much and better to have it match the perimeter. Alternatively, I was considering soapstone for the island vs white quartz for the perimeter counters. Thoughts?

2. On the wall with the refrigerator, we plan to remove the larger, middle cabinet and replace with an 18" cabinet. All cabinets will then be the same height and depth. We are adding 6" of crown to beef up the top of the cabinetry. My hope is that will help balance the large built in fridge and corner cooktop area and the fridge won't look like it was unfinished.

Should we replace the hood with another style or leave the same? I was thinking it needs to stay stainless to balance the fridge. But I would love a wood hood to match the new floating shelves in the bar area, or simply a painted white hood to match the cabinets.

Thank you!