dani_shugart

Expensive Color Mistake

Dani Shugart

I had my cabinets professionally painted with the same colors that are in my office. The office looks GORGEOUS with those colors (pale green trim, creamy white walls). But the kitchen looks stark and cold. Somehow the pale green looks pale aqua in the kitchen even though both rooms are south-facing.

I'm only mentioning my office because I know this color combo can be amazing in the right context. Maybe the dark gray countertops in the kitchen are what's making it look cold and unwelcoming?

This kitchen was really dark before with the orangey cabinets (pic below). But I didn't want to paint the cabinets ALL white because that's too stark for me. So I needed a color or a darker neutral on at least the bottom cabinets and went with this pale green from Sherwin Williams called Evergreen Fog. Top cabinets and walls are both Alabaster.

What would you do in this situation?

I don't really want to have the cabinets repainted because that money could go toward a new countertop and backsplash, and maybe those two changes would be enough to warm it up.

Or could I repaint the wall a warm neutral color. Sherwin Williams has a color called Shitake (like the mushroom) that actually complements both of my current cabinet colors.

Here's the "before"...

And here are the not-so-after pictures. Not sure why but this just feels too cold/stark to me...

My whole house has an earthy, boho vibe going on and this kitchen doesn't really do it justice. Would love your opinion on what to do.

• mnmamax3

You've already received a lot of good advice... Just hang tight and see if it grows on you. Remove the 4" splash and tile. Choose a handmade tile for some movement and variation in color without being too busy. Beth always has excellent tile suggestions.

I would suggest a woven shade for your kitchen window but with a woven light fixture it would be a bit of overkill. Maybe a nice roman fabric shade with some of the tones from your rug.

Find a big wooden cutting/serving board and prop it up under the counter. Add a wooden bowl with fruit on the island.

BigWood Boards Rectangle Walnut Carving Board · More Info

Get some interesting lighting for over the island but I think additional woven shades would be a little too much. Choose hammered metal or shell or something. It looks like your dining room fixture is from World Market. I think a pair of these shell ones would bring in some organic shapes and fun over the island. Or one of these others...

It is really a beautiful space.

Dani Shugart thanked mnmamax3
  • chicagoans

(not a pro) Beth mentioned your lighting and I'd start there. Try a few different kinds of bulbs, paying attention to the K factor. (I tried Daylight in my kitchen and yikes - way too bright/stark so I put those in the garage, furnace room, and storage area.) I was surprised at how much the bulbs changed the look of the room. Save your receipts because there might be a bit of trial and error to find the ones you like best.

ETA I like the color! And cute dog :)

Dani Shugart thanked chicagoans

How expensive is stucco? Is it worth the expense?

There are several aspects to the overall cost to changing any wall finish on the exterior of your home. First, what is currently on the walls? The cost to get it off, wrap the home in lath and stucco on a single story home with no window or door revel issues costs between $70-$100 a linear foot. So a 30'x60' will have approximately 180 linear feet of 10 foot high wall. That's $12,600 to $18,000.00. If you use a color coat it saves on the additional cost of painting but if you try to match the color later it is almost impossible. Over time the it will fade. The potential common issue; the windows and doors. The way they are installed can change considerably from material to material. Installing new or re-installing the existing can cause interior wall repair costs as well. Doors can cause flooring challenges in addition to the repairs. In my opinion stucco is worth the cost. Done correctly the return on investment is also good. I would paint the stucco. Also if you want to upgrade your insulation, the time now. Good luck Artisan Pacific Construction, Inc. Los Angeles, Ca.

Giant, expensive mistake. Who is at fault?

Another thing comes to mind about this whole thing. I do agree someone should have caught this mistake along the way. However, the carpenter is NOT the designer. This layout looks wonky to us (homeowner, amateurs and pro's alike), and may have looked wonky to the carpenter, too. But they were working off of whatever information they were given - or making a best guess with the materials they were given. I'm sure tradespeople do things all the time that LOOK wrong to them but they do what the homeowner wants anyway. As long as the cabinets were installed properly (and by that I mean level, plumb, etc.) then the carpenter did their job. Several times I've had professional painters disagree with my paint color choices. Truthfully, I didn't mind them questioning it up front to make sure I knew what I wanted, but in the end they painted what they thought was "wrong" because I wanted them to. On the other hand, I took their advice 100% when it came to brand and finish of paint, because they're the experts in that aspect. In the long run, building and design needs to be a team effort that includes all the necessary trades and the homeowner.

Expensive Sofa Mistake

Most would assume since you hunted for so long you tried the sofa out before buying it. There is no reason to beat yourself up over it. We've all done this at one time or another. I think you idea to have cushion inserts made seems like the easiest solution. The suggestion to sell it on Craig's list worries me. That has become dangerous in many areas. If you do decide to sell it for some reason try Ebay, Etsy or a local second hand furniture store.

Expensive fireplace "mistake"

And what I'm complaining about, ackcx3, is that the post interrupts the stairs on the other side from the falling hazard (that side doesn't bother me visually) -- the post should be against the side of the stairs, rather than interrupting them. Compare photo #3 to this, where the whole newel post is outside the railing: In the stairs above (see the op's updated photos mid-thread), the post is really inside the normal railing line, and thus a person descending will have to move to their right for the last few steps (thus needing a railing to catch them from going to far). It's a load-bearing post, but everything should ideally have moved over a few inches to clear it. I did find this example of an intrusive newel, but you can see that the staircase is so wide that it doesn't intrude meaningfully (and it aligns with the newel on the next level): In the current case, that post feels like an obstacle, even if there's in fact plenty of space to walk around it. The steps were extended leftward not for artistic reasons, but to try to help disguise what would otherwise look like a very narrow couple of steps. Somebody needs some serious biting. ;)
  • Dani Shugart

More amazing advice! I'm actually taking notes and making a shopping list. Can't thank you all enough. (And thank you for noticing my special guy, Kipper, he's a very good boy!)

• Dawn Martinez

I think your kitchen looks great. I even think you could keep your countertops, and just remove the 4 inch splash and add a fun tile. This visualizer I used put the tile all the way up the wall, (didn't remove the splash as it assumed it was part of the counter top) and so I can't figure out how to remove it, but you wouldn't put the tile on the soffit. Yet it helps you get an idea of what a fun backsplash alone could do..

Well done the look is completely new and fresh.

Dani Shugart thanked Dawn Martinez
    Beth H. :

don't know if you saw this pic w/the glass doors. maybe you could do a few doors w/the glass inserts? (doesn't have to be the ones over the stove, just showing you how it looks)

the soft gold hardware would add a bit of warmth to the look, plus it goes well w/the light fixture and the wood butcher block. I prefer all pulls over knobs, but that's up to you.

or a pull in nickel would also work.

don't worry about tile splash until the countertops are installed. (no 4" piece up the back!)

Dani Shugart thanked Beth H. :
  • ILoveMod

I think your new kitchen colors look fantastic. settle in, make small changes (like hardware) and live with it a while.

a quick story to help you feel better: I installed skylights in my office and bathroom, and the effect was a total flop. I didn't know the skylights would be badly placed, so the new light coming in was a very cool color temperature. the change looked so wrong to me. I was sick with how expensive that mistake was. after some time I got used to it. I stopped noticing the colors as "wrong" and am really glad there's more natural light coming into the room.

Dani Shugart thanked ILoveMod

Paint the top cabinets the same as the bottom cabinets.

• sydneyfv

Can you post a picture of your office where you like the colour combo. Maybe there is something there that someone can see that makes the difference and point it out.

Dani Shugart thanked sydneyfv
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors

I totally disagree! It looks great! I think it needs a boost of pattern or color for the backsplash. Remove the 4" backsplash of solid surface material and put in some pretty tile, instead.

Something like this, perhaps? (Get samples to check the colors, but this is the right idea.)

8"x8" Atlas Handmade Cement Tile, Green/White, Set of 12 · More Info

Dani Shugart thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • dan1888

The old kitchen was warm and inviting. A gathering place. Heart of the home type of feeling. Your office colors are calming and quieting. A place to clear your mind and work out solutions and develop strategies. Now the kitchen is more for producing challenging things for family and friends. A workplace.

Dani Shugart thanked dan1888
  • cat_ky

I think your kitchen looks very nice, it just needs a bit of your personality added to it, to take away the blah sterile look. The color of the lowers is very pretty. You may want to do some type of window treatment that adds a bit of color too.

Dani Shugart thanked cat_ky
  • Debra Blair

A runner with the sage green and cream would tie in the colors and make it warmer, and add pattern. The new paint looks beautiful.

Dani Shugart thanked Debra Blair
  • msliu7911

100% agree with Beth H above! I think if you changed some of the doors to be glass, that would give some character. Same with hardware which is a cheap and easy swap out.

If you’re willing to spend money on backsplash too, I think that’ll definitely make it pop. Finally...no need to repaint at all. What you did looks so much better and not a huge mistake!!

Dani Shugart thanked msliu7911
  • flopsycat1

Love your kitchen. And your dog. I wouldn’t change anything. Maybe add a wooden bowl with lemons to the island. A little color on the countertops. Change the title of the thread to “This is a really nice kitchen, just needs a little life.”

Dani Shugart thanked flopsycat1
  • herbflavor

It is a change . thats the only issue. Just allow yourself to adjust.. I wouldn't do another kitchen change just yet.... but certainly have things in mind like hardware and backsplash. Let yourself get accustomed to this....it is a classic combination: you'll find this to be durable over time which should be heartening. So anything else you put in should warrant consideration in that light. Nice work!

Dani Shugart thanked herbflavor
  • Dani Shugart

Oh my goodness waking up to all these amazing suggestions is almost an inspiration overload!! I can't thank you all enough for the great advice. You've definitely got my wheels turning.

I think this is going to be a gradual process simply because my husband is not super on board with revamping the kitchen. This paint job was supposed to just be a mini-refresh.

But a butcher block counter for the island is a great starting point, and then replacing the 4 inch solid surface backsplash with tile is the next step.

So here's the new question: How do you tile this corner area?

As far as a tile backsplash goes, this corner is going to be a pain to figure out.

I would've wanted the backsplash to just end at the corner, underneath the cabinet, but I think it's going to have to come out all the way to at least where the 4-inch border is, right?

I mean, it kind of has to cover the wall damage that will be left after that border is removed.

But then where does the backsplash end? Will it need to cover that whole wall that touches the ceiling?

How do you feel about backsplashes that extend out further than the top cabinets and end with the bottom cabinets. I think in THIS case it would look a little jarring if the backsplash extended out with the bottom cabinets, but didn't also move up the wall.

But I could totally be wrong on that! Thoughts?

• Dani Shugart

sydneyfv, here's what my office looks like. These pictures were taken at different times of day so the lighting isn't uniform... but the trim (same color as the kitchen cabinets) never looks teal or blue the way the cabinets do.

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

You can definitely wrap around the tile. Depending on the size and material you could (a) use Schluter edging to finish it off (end it aligned with the base cabinet, not the counter projection) or (b) get either bullnosed tile or quarter rounds. The Schluter edging works best for porcelain or cement tiles that are unfinished on the edges and don't have matching trim pieces. The other options are better for ceramic or stone tiles that do have matching trim pieces.

• Dani Shugart

JudyG Designs, I like your thinking on that because it would definitely cut down on the stark feeling, but I'd be worried about doubling up on a color that didn't turn out quite right. And I have had such bad luck with painters in this area.

The two we used for our cabinets ended up having a huge fight in my kitchen ending their partnership, and I think their quarrel had to do with all the flaws one on them left on the doors. I'm not thrilled with their work, but believe it or not, I've actually had even worse experiences than this! (I can tell you the horror stories if you're interested.)

So if I want the uppers painted, I'd have to do it myself, and I don't really have the time or skill for that.

• Dani Shugart

Beth H. you are a design genius, and I would love to do some glass fronts, but not even sure where to start without a professional who could do the work. I'm afraid that trying to DIY that project would lead to some busted up cabinet doors.

I also think my husband is going to be putting his foot down on this kitchen refresh that was only supposed to be painted cabinets. Ha! But holy smokes I'm loving your ideas!!

• Dani Shugart

Dawn Martinez I really like those backsplash choices you chose!

• Dani Shugart

Beth H. thanks again for all your help! I'm saving the pictures you provided to help guide my decisions. Wow! Awesome work.

Beth H. :

NP Dani. as for the glass doors, really not a big deal. they can easily cut out the center panel and replace with glass. DIY it's about 50 bucks, but you'll pay about 200 or so for each door to have it done. a glass company could prob do it for you. Not necessary, just providing you w/options should you feel the need.

as for the tile, if you have corian, is the 4" piece attached (as in, part of ) the countertop? or was it a completely separate piece like they do w/granite?

IF the latter, you can score the caulking and pry it away from the wall.

but if it's all one piece, you won't be able to.

if you can pry it away, take care not to peel off the paper to the drywall. (if you do, it can be repaired). normally people don't tile the side walls at the end of the countertop. you can if you prefer, but it's not usually done.

if you have any inkling of getting new countertops, hold off on the tile splash. once you get the walnut butcher block, you see how beautiful it is, and you'll want something light like the marble or the quartz to go with it. (hey, in for penny, in for a pound!)

Dani Shugart thanked Beth H. :
  • Dani Shugart

Great info Beth H.! I had no idea about the glass fronts and will def look into it!

As for the 4-inch border, it's not attached. However, if it were pulled off, I don't think it would have the same texture as what's on the wall above it.

Story time: The previous owners had a makeshift backsplash behind the stove. It was a tin looking thing that they glued on, and when I removed it – as carefully as possible – it took the wall texture off with it. Then after several tries of trying to spray a new wall texture on it, nothing matched.

It was kind of a hilarious/terrible debacle LOL. So I painted that wall with a flat paint (this was last winter) and it's not too obvious where the wall texture was mangled, but it needs to be covered up with tiles.

Love your ideas about the surrounding countertops too! I will have to do everything in the right order to get this right!

Beth H. :

if the wall texture really bothers you, a dry wall finisher can come out and make it all look perfect, and match the surrounding texture. dry wall finishing is an art form, so those guys (the good ones) know what to do blend it.

Dani Shugart thanked Beth H. :
  • sydneyfv

I think the colour in the kitchen is playing off the dark counter -- nothing like that in your office. I think the dogs and the art, along with the softness of the couch and the carpet are what makes the office cosy and different from the kitchen even though the colours are similar. So maybe think of what are you can add, consider a valance or curtain for the window along with the suggestions for some wood. A treat on the floor always brings my dog to the kitchen, so I'm assuming yours will do the same:)

Dani Shugart thanked sydneyfv
  • Dani Shugart

Thank you sydneyfv! That's great advice and my fur babies love it too. ;-)

Color Zen

Overall the after looks soo much better than before! Wouldn't change a single thing. *very rare Houzz response lol*

Dani Shugart thanked Color Zen
  • C Allred

I concur with Beth’s idea to replace the hardware with the soft gold. That kitchen jewelry could bring needed warmth and shine to your space and ties in very nicely with your other gold accents. When budget permits, I think that a lighter counter top as shown in the inspiration photo with the glass doors and Beth’s photo with the gray/green cabinets with white countertops and backsplash will really brighten up the kitchen and make it look fresher. Your office colors look brighter because you do not have a significant amount of gray ( counter tops) or black (hardware) that contribute to the overall feel.

Dani Shugart thanked C Allred
  • itsourcasa

Love all the advice, the first thing I saw was no backsplash and I think that will really tie everything together. It's beautiful, great job so far!

Dani Shugart thanked itsourcasa
  • Linda Stefanish

These cabinets are SW Alabaster I believe you said your uppers were. Hardware is Amerock golden champagne.
    Just thought I would share a picture with you being people have suggested to go with gold hardware, so happy we did!!

Dani Shugart thanked Linda Stefanish
  • msteezzy

The change looks really good. Looks like just a few more tweaks needed. I think the butcher block island to start will be awesome!

Dani Shugart thanked msteezzy
  • Dawn Martinez

So pretty @Linda Stefanish, love the champagne color!

• Dawn Martinez

@Dani Shugart your doggies are absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing your office photos with us, so cozy including the fur babies.

Dani Shugart thanked Dawn Martinez
  • Dani Shugart

C Allred yes, good points – the gray countertops really had an affect on the color that I wasn't expecting!

• Dani Shugart

IdaClaire your suggestion about finding some new artwork to tie in warmer colors was a great idea.

So I found this painting from an artist I love on Minted.

https://www.minted.com/product/art/MIN-WZY-DNA/step-up-step-out-i?color=A&shape=

(I also think a framed canvas would be better since the plexiglass on the current picture seems to reflect a lot of glare from the window.)

• Dani Shugart

I love the advice about the brass or gold hardware, and I fully agree with it.

The only problem is, the current hardware is just one year old. It was kind of a splurge from Rejuvination last year and I was using it on my orange cabinets. So it pains me to get rid of those so soon!! LOL

• ILoveMod

how pretty! it reminds me of Candada's art collective "Group of Seven".

Dani Shugart thanked ILoveMod
  • KW

Dani, we just had new countertops & backsplash put in. This pillar & cut out was our challenge or where to end - wrap around or not? We didn’t wrap & think looks good. For the other two counters ending at a wall, we lined up stop point with base cabinets to make a continuous line & think that looks good too.

Dani Shugart thanked KW
  • flopsycat1

I think your kitchen is so nice. You don’t need new cabinet hardware. Just some color to liven it up.

Dani Shugart thanked flopsycat1
  • msteezzy

Regarding the kitchen hardware - you can definitely spray paint or use one of those rub on compounds to change the look. But since they’re new I wouldn’t get rid of them either.

Dani Shugart thanked msteezzy
  • ILoveMod

don't paint metal that you're going to be touching multiple times a day. it will wear off no matter how careful you are with the application. plus it's so much work. and I especially wouldn't do it if what you have now is expensive and relatively new.

Dani Shugart thanked ILoveMod
  • Rachel M. Frazier

Lovely colors @Dani Shugart. Totally understandable that going from the honey wood cabinets to white feels stark. But your new painted cabinets are beautiful.

What about adding in some warm wood feeling with decor, like a large rectangular wood serving dish on the island, wood cutting board under cabinets on sink wall. And maybe even a simple switch of changing the clay pots to baskets for your plants would soften things - and perhaps match boho?

Dani Shugart thanked Rachel M. Frazier
  • Rachel M. Frazier

One more pic of wood cutting boards as decor

Dani Shugart thanked Rachel M. Frazier
  • Me AGirl
    yesterday

Inexpensive, fun solution. ..and Practical. Get ready for it.... ACCESSORIES!

boho inspired... think, wood, bamboo, organic.

A nice large bamboo fruit bowl on the island,

wood utensils,

wood canisters,

cutting Board,

knife holder.

how about a boho inspired area rug?

)?

perhaps 2 wood shelves some succulents on them? (where the painting and wall decor are.. although I do like them).

Wood mantel?

Dani Shugart thanked Me AGirl
  • Me AGirl
    yesterday

Herb pots on window sil?

Or below the painting, some wood stand with herbs? Succulents?

Dani Shugart thanked Me AGirl
  • Dani Shugart
    23 hours ago

Me AGirl yes!! I've already started accessorizing with some warm wood tones, and I love your ideas here. I'm going to do a google search for some of your photos! Great tip!

• Me AGirl
    22 hours ago

Oh I will post links if you like

• Me AGirl
    22 hours ago

Keywords:

boho kitchen accessories,

wood kitchen accessories,

bamboo fruit bowls,

Dani Shugart thanked Me AGirl
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    21 hours ago

I'm late to the party, so this territory has probably been covered to death already, but:

The cabinets are beautiful - don't change those. That blue/green is gorgeous.

I see two big problems right off the bat - the counter is of a shade that is fighting with the cabinets now - you say that it is dark gray, which should look great with the blue/green (I am thinking of steel gray granite, for example) but it seems to have a pinkish or mauveish undertone to it in some of the photos. It could just be my computer's rendering of the color, but if not, change the counters. Otherwise everything else you do will just be trying to disguise them.

Maybe changing your lighting's color temp would help, so try that first (I favor 3000-3500k usually)

Then, you've gone from kind of blah walls to white-white-white. Too much white. Yes, accessories will help, but really I would look for either a pale backsplash tile, or a pale paint, in a color that complements the lower cabs. Doesn't have to exactly match the blue/green, although that would be pretty. but either close or in the same tonal family. If you use a bit of color on the walls, then a textured white tile like some of the examples about would be even more fab.

Most paint manufacturers have tools on their websites to help you find a good color to go with what you already have. I like Valspar's, even though I don't always use their paint - I did use Valspar colors mixed in a different brand in my kitchen.

Dani Shugart thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio