vbagden

Pinching/Pruning Recommendations for Fiddle Leaf Fig

Victoria Bagden

My fiddle leaf fig is in need of some radical pinching, but I'm nervous to make the wrong cuts! I've had him for exactly 2 years (about 5ft high when purchased) and, while I've trimmed him back over time in order to avoid hitting my apartment's 8ft ceiling, I've not been strategic with my cuts -- thus resulting in a very lopsided shape. (At first, the wishbone-like Y-shape was charming but now he looks like a demogorgon!) I have south-facing sun and am located in the northeast corridor of the US so, with fall upon us, I realize my window of opportunity to make radical cuts is quickly closing (if not already closed).

My goals are to (a) immediately correct the parallel-growing branch and to (b) promote growth and have a long-term branching strategy, so that he will eventually grow into a densely-branched tree shape. I've read responses from @tapla and would love your expertise! Below are labeled photos and I can answer any questions/provide additional information as well. Thank you, Houzz community!