rhonda_furlong

Candlestick cassia

Rhonda Furlong

I put in a new butterfly garden in the beginning of April this year. I wanted a popcorn cassia as a host plant for my orange-barred sulphurs but couldn't find one. So, I ended up buying a 3' tall by 2' wide scraggly candlestick cassia.
Well, that cassia is now 12' tall X 15' wide and covered in flowers, buds, caterpillars and eggs! I've trimmed several 6-8' lower branches off and several small branches for the enclosure and it just keeps growing! Never seen a shrub/tree that grows as fast!
It's definitely not a plant for a small garden.

• Rhonda Furlong

• four (9B near 9A)

I get all of that plant joy, but not the pay-off ! , because carpenter ants (or similar) always own the plants. I think that all of my Sulphurs are produced on my other host species.

• Rhonda Furlong

Four, I've heard that before but guess that I'm lucky. Every now and then I'll see an ant here or there but not often. I've had tons of orange-barred sulphur cats, eggs and chrysalis on it.