Software
Houzz Logo Print
eestewar

Replicating this kitchen question

6 years ago

Hi, We are replicating this kitchen in our new home. Would you change anything? Gold hardware vs silver? Backsplash in bar area? Any ideas? Thanks!



Comments (11)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    In a 150K kitchen like that, the first thing to change is the bad layout with the island as your big obstacle to roller skate around when trying to work. All they would have needed to do was add a prep sink, and it would have helped immensely. The corners are pinch points too, with try e truly terrible corner oven placement. So many misses.

    Get a better kitchen designer than they used. And prices have risen, so you may want to have a bigger contingency fund too. Start by paying a retainer to the better designer.

    eestewar thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    I’d start by asking yourself what YOU would change. It doesn’t really matter what we think. Do you have this same exact layout? Are you purchasing the same finishes, appliance, bar stools? Would you like some sort of window treatment over the window? There are definitely things I’d change because this isn’t my style, but that doesn’t really matter. You need to think what you would change and whether this kitchen works for you. I get that you liked it when you saw it online, but is this what you would have selected without ever seeing it?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Drawers instead of base cabinets.

    I can barely make it out in the second picture, but it appears that the range has at least one of those spice pull-outs flanking it. Ugh, nope. Those pull-outs sound so nifty, but in real life you will not like them. Avoid.

    I am not a fan of pot fillers. You still need to take the full pot of water back to the sink so it helps only 50% of the time. And will some people in the house be forgetful and leave them on or leave them with a slow drip? Also, people I know who have pot fillers say that once the novelty wears off, they don't use them.

    Not a fan of wall ovens on a diagonal. When an oven door is open, that diagonal placement is an ergonomic disaster.

    The seating table or the island but not both. So intrusive on the space it gives me the heebie jeebies.

    I actually disagree with One Devoted Dame's comment about the recessed cans. While I do not like recessed cans in living rooms or bedrooms, I think they are an absolute necessity for lighting in a kitchen. How will you light the space without them. And 3 pendants over that island would be too crowded, yet the addition of a third pendant would not help light the rest of the kitchen if you were to do away with recessed cans.

    I do agree with One Devoted Dame that that kitchen is begging for color.

  • 6 years ago

    I don't like the ovens on the diagonal and the opposite corner square but I like symmetry.


    I have never had a prep sink but the large solid island doesn't bother me but i sew and craft and a big uninterrupted surface comes in handy. I doubt you would ever have 4 people on the stools though. Maybe 3?


    I too would like a chandelier over the table.


    I would be fine with a few lower cabinets,. KitchenAid storage, large roasters, pitchers, etc. It's a lot cheaper cabinet than drawers.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The layout is a big concern. Most of us here believe that form follows function. I.e., function is the most important thing to work on first, THEN work on the looks (or form).

    However, if you don't cook much, then you might not care about function. So, I have to ask these questions. Please do not take offense, they really are things we need to know.

    • Do you cook much other than throwing something in the microwave?
    • What's more important to you, looks or function?
    • Be aware that it's very easy to make a functional Kitchen look nice, but it's next to impossible to make a nice looking but dysfunctional Kitchen functional without tearing it out and starting over
    • Some people don't cook and just want a show Kitchen...they never plan to use it. Are you one of those?


    There's no right or wrong answer to these questions, just what's right for you and your family.

    Everyone is different and has different needs...do you need a functional/working Kitchen?

    I think this Kitchen can be made functional with a few changes, but if you're trying to replicate it exactly as it is, then that won't be possible.

    Where did you find this Kitchen? I wonder if it's the Kitchen of one of those people I mentioned who only want a show Kitchen, not a working Kitchen?

  • 6 years ago

    I have never seen a kitchen I wanted to replicate exactly, so maybe I'm not the person to ask. My advice would be to inject some personality into the kitchen through some independent choices. Different pendants, chairs, stools, island color, window treatments. What you display in your glass front cabinets and open shelves can show some personality, too.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    See this thread...

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2699586/getting-there-from-here-or-how-did-it-go-so-wrong

    scroll down to "5 years ago" to see the original pictures...the inspiration & the result. (*sigh* I miss how GW kept track of the date & time for comments so you could reference a specific comment.)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    thanks all! I'm building this home. This is the kitchen, but I can make any changes obviously, so looking for input. I am a moderate cook I should say! I like to cook , I m decent, but by no means a die hard. The decor was staged, so that isn't what im asking about. Just the kitchen itself.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hire a Kitchen Designer. As fast as you possibly can. You are under a deadline, if that’s the home’s layout. You don’t want to end up with what they did there! Get expert help NOW!

  • 6 years ago

    Could you post the floorplan with as many measurements possible? I know it's not built yet, but sometimes there are at least basic measurements available. It will also show us how traffic will be flowing through, around, and in the Kitchen.