Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadywillowfarm

Need help choosing trees along road frontage!

ShadyWillowFarm
3 years ago

We had 5 large mature spruce tees taken down along the street due to disease and we now feel hot and exposed! My original plan was to put in 3 Eastern redbuds, but now I am wondering if that will be enough. The spruces gave us a lot of privacy and some late day shade for the horses. There is not a scrap of shade in the front paddock with the spruces gone. It’s a fairly large area, 150 feet long, and 30 feet wide at the utility pole, narrowing to 20 feet at the end of the fence. My local nursery only has 2 redbuds available that are the same size. So I was thinking about doing 3 evergreens along the fence, and putting the 2 redbuds slightly closer to the road and between the evergreens. Any suggestions for evergreens? Yew will kill horses, as will red maples, all prunus species, and black walnut.

Comments (13)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The wires from the utility pole run to another pole that is across the street, so I do want to avoid trees with a wide canopy.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My driveway is to the right of the pole, and there are a lot if underground lines. We are leaving that area alone for the time being. No underground lines where the fence runs along the road. Regardless we will have utilities checked before digging.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just found the iScape app,and this is what I am thinking of. Thoughts?

• KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

No ideas without knowing where you live except that replacing those trees is a tall order with your necessary requirements. My first reaction is that you need good advice & help from a local arborist. Second reaction is that I hope you are building an open structure to provide shade for your horses.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

That's pretty!

• debvanatl
    3 years ago

That looks nice - crabapples would probably be fine, but I'm sure you know cherry is also poisonous to horses and cows.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

need location... big city name.. zone alone is not good enough ...

ken

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

15 miles north of Baltimore. And we have plenty of other spaces with shade for the horses, although they don’t need it in October. This is my only paddock without a shed.

• Christopher CNC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

For the evergreens, Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii'. It would be nice if the redbuds were 'Rising Sun'. With 150 feet to use, there is room for more trees. That would depend on how much screening and shade you want. You could add some Sourwood, Oxydendrum arboreum, on both ends of that arrangement.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

Just remember the redbuds will lose their leaves for many months Maybe magnolias instead?

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Eastern Redbud is one of my favorite trees. How about adding a Sargent Crabapple? It has a wide (about 20') spread will not get tall enough to interfere with the wires.

Native evergreens you could use include these:

American Holly (Ilex opaca) grows from 15-50 feet tall and produce red, fleshy berries that are available throughout the winter. It would take decades to reach 50' and they're about 15 wide so you could plant them away from the wires.

Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis) are tall, cylindrical trees with dense foliage.

Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana) can grow in any region of Maryland and are found in dry-moist soils. This tree has scale-like leaves and produces bluish-green berries from July-March. Many birds and small mammals eat the berrylike cones of eastern red cedar.

Here is a link for native Maryland trees.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! We are going to price trees later this week.

• George
    3 years ago

Thuja Green giants if you are in the right climate . They grow so fast and make a 40’ tall wall 365 days a year.