mr_bill_m

Took a chance and repotted a macrophylla today

Bill M.

I know I'm not supposed to be repotting in the fall / beginning of winter, but I took one of my macrophyllas, which was growing in a 2-3" nursery pot, which was nested inside a small completely sealed outer pot, just to add some weight to the plant, and repotted it today.

After removing the small nursery pot from the outer one, I noticed the roots were completely filled inside the original pot, pushed through the bottom and were actually resting in a puddle of water in the outer pot. Since I'm not growing them hydroponically, I thought it needed repotting. I know they like to be root bound, but this was too much, in my opinion.

So, after teasing it from it's starter pot (which I had started it in about four months ago) I repotted him up. We'll see how it goes. Prior to this, it was growing like crazy and adding about an inch of growth every two / three days. Hopefully it will continue and I'll just end up with a more robust plant.

Thoughts anyone? Comments?

• popmama

My thoughts are this. While it's ideal to wait until Spring to repot, one has to do what one has to do. It sounds like based on the water situation that you made the right decision. I'd love to see a picture of your macrophylla. I have one but am fairly new to it. It isn't growing much at all.

And if you post a picture today, then you can use this thread as a historical referral later! Bonus.

• Bill M.

Just a quick follow up on the repotting effort. This plant had doubled in size! The original vine stopped growing after I repotted (it was only a single vine plant to begin with) but now it has thrown out three new vines from this single stem. They are 3-4" in length and all appear very healthy and strong. I'm thinking the repotting was just what the doctor ordered since the patient appears very happy and content.

• popmama

Awesome, Bill! That sounds really great. What kind of soil did you use? I hear those like a more acidic soil. Post pics!

• Bill M.

Attached are some pictures of my macrophilia which I repotted in October. (It's the bottom image because I can't figure out how to change the order! Aughhh) It's been a little over a month and the growth is fantastic. The original vine, #1, stopped growing immediately after repotting. Then three other vines appeared. #2 is almost 6-7" in length! #s 3 & 4 are maybe 4-5" in length! Repotting seems to agree with this plant!

The other pictures are of my lacanosa. I have no idea what type it is, but whatever it is is covered in peduncles. One picture shows the peduncles on the side easiest to photograph. The other image is the lacanosa itself. Can someone tell me the variety?

These plants are in an eastern to south eastern window and are watered weekly. The lacanosa is watered twice a week. They are damp but not wet. Apparently they like it that way.

So - any ideas on the type of lacanosa? Thanks all....

• moonwolf_gw

It looks like the standard lacunosa to my eyes, and how gorgeous it is! :) Yes, they like a little more water than say your carnosa or pubicalyx. But not as much as a multiflora.

Congrats on all of the new growth! I may just have to repot my multiflora since she hasn't flowered yet. Needs water, too.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Bill M.

Thanks moonwolf. A number of the plants seem to be growing actively at this time of year. I don't know if it's because of them being invigorated by being outside throughout the summer, or if they are just really happy in this location.

Last spring I placed a carnosa outside which was in a hanging pot. I placed it hanging from a tree branch. When it wasn't raining on itI would water it. Well they thing grew profusely! Took me almost 15 minutes to untangle it from the branches. It twined around everything. Don't these plants realize that when the do reach the canopy top they're going to be in direct sun?! Anyway, the carnosa is growing vines now but no leaves or flowers, although I did have maybe 8-9 umbrels when I brought it inside. Too bad it isn't fragrant.

Stay well and stay safe, and keep growing those plants....

• popmama

Wow, I studied and admired your pictures for quite some time! The macrophylla looks very happy with its very long tendrils. It looks like you have it potted in chunky mix with bark and perlite. Am I right? Did you give it anything else special?

I also really like your mounted air plant on that wall above the macrophylla. For the longest time I had zero appreciation of tillandisia. But then I saw my friend's collection in the back "employees only" section of his nursery where there are very large, substantial tillandsia specimens many of which are in bloom. I really fell for them then. Yours is really cool. I already killed the one my friend gave me. But I may have to acquire another and try again.

You have a lovely bright window for your plants. I can catch a glimpse of an orchid back there!

Quite a few of my hoyas are putting on a surprising amount of new growth considering this is the cold season. I'm so happy to see new leaves and peduncles. It makes the winter so much more tolerable!

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures! Let me know if you have any other macrophylla tips.

• popmama

Thanks for the info, Bill. You have the green thumb and some lovely plants. I'm going to have to look up that orchid even though I'm not so good with orchids. But hey, I'm usually willing to try try again!

I'll try to get a picture of the tillandsia at my friend's nursery when I am there next time. His are incredible!

• popmama

By the way, what is miracle grow for epiphytes? I didn't know that MG had a fertilizer specifically for epiphytes. Link?

• Bill M.

You are 100% correct. I for some reason typed miracle grow. That is NOT what I use on them. I'm sorry for the senior moment. I use Epiphyte's Delight, which is what I use on my tillandsias too. A little goes a long way. I mix it 1/2 to 1/4 strength.

I've just purchased a bottle of super thrive too since I've read so many good things about it. It arrived Friday so I haven't tried it yet, except on the couple cuttings I'm trying to propogate. I'll begin using it regularly on all my plants this week.

Again, I apologize for the incorrect and misleading info. Thank you for picking it up.

Later....

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)

Looks like I made a few good new friends here. Both of you like what I like and grow what I grow.

In fact, I LOVE the info you gave Bill on what you are growing your Hoya in. I am always trying a different mix until I get one just right and it seems I am being to fussy. I have bark and perlite and will try that. From what it sounds like, they like to be moist, but not wet. I have seen mine dry out where they don't like it, especially the Lacanosa and the leaves will yellow or will or fall off. Sometimes I loose entire vines. I hate it. It seems when I water enemy when they are almost dry not dry, they like it. As if they love being watered more often than most plants as long as the mix is porous I guess.

The air plants, I have many of those too but never knew what to fertilize them with. I just use plain rain water and I keep wondering what they can handle without burning. Do you use a weak strength of it?

Popomama, boy do you have a good eye. I know what Bill means. I have 3 of those orchids and boy can they smell up an entire room. You should try one))

Maybe I can figure a way to break one of mine up come spring and send you a rooted piece.

Great job growing my friends...

Bill, I found that the

macrophyllas can be very fussy with me, a lousy grower so this gives me hope. And I myself did a huge re pot on many of my Hoya after bringing them inside a month ago, not the best time, but if I had waited, I think they would of rotted since they were in such a lousy mix. I am finding that a couple of my Lacanosa are rebelling, but I guess that is natural until the roots take to the new less compacted mix. I pray they do at least)

• Bill M.

Meyermike - My macro I keep a little damp. for some reason that seems to work for it. i realize every person has different conditions, soil, light, geographic location, humidity etc, but mine resides in an eastern to south eastern window, about 3" (yep - 3") from the panes. In winter the temps around the window drop to the low 60's or so, even though they are Andersen Thermal panes. I water this plant at least once a week. The soil is extremely porous. Orchid bark, pearlite and some cactus soil. When I water it literally drains right through. I don't know how much it retains, which is why it gets watered so often. It seems to be thriving, growing and setting new leaves. I really like this plant for it's foliage. I've had it maybe 9 months or so and for the longest time it would just stare at me. I'd catch it following me around the room, but never doing anything else. Suddenly it started growing a vine and pumping out leaves. When I picked the pot up from it's plastic saucer (drip tray) it had roots extending down into the moisture trapped between the pot and the plastic tray. I figured it needed a bigger pot and repotted it, and it's taken off again. The original vine stopped growing, but it shot out three new ones.

You mentioned similar hobbies - it's great isn't it? Everyone has such diverse backgrounds and yet we can all agree on a common goal with a free exchange of information. My background is unique, but in all the years I've been enjoying this hobby, or interfacing with people all over the world, I've found that people themselves are great - it's the governments and religions that divide us. If we just accept each as to who they are, take what they offer and exchange our ideas in turn, we can all live peacefully and productively.

Enjoy our hobby my friend, and keep coming to this forum. I've found it a great place to learn, and I never get tired of learning!

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Bill, good morning to you and Popmama too. I hope we can all avoid this virus while we have fun growing our Hoya and trying to figure them out. I love the mix you speak of and in fact made some last night and re potted a couple into it. You know, I find that when a Hoya is use to growing in a lousy mix, they do rebel until they get use to one that is better for them. Like going from junk food to a healthy diet. Some people actually get sick when changing their whole diet routine.

You are right, too bad the world has to be that way. It would be awesome if they stopped dividing the human race and worked together. An example is the Olympics. Everyone gets a long and it's just breath taking)

You are right about different environments. Funny, I have several different zones I could grow any of my plants in and I am still trying to figure out which plants thrives best where, ha. This is always on going. I have several up stairs in my very warm bright sunnier room around south facing windows and a huge skylight above. It's very toasty in there and humid since I run a humidifier 24/7 in there and it cools to around 68 at night and fans running as well.

My grow room is very sunny coolish with lots of artificial lights facing south , a lot cooler than upstairs and not heated but heat from the kitchen door is allowed in making it not dry in there. Orchids love it and I am still tryin to figure what Hoya does.

Porch is very cool, 50's all winter and very bright no Hoya in there.

I shall have to figure out what area mines likes best. But yours sounds like it's very happy my friend. You are doing something right. Keep in touch and I will take pics for you. I hope mines does well. I'll figure it out. Funny, it has pendicles on the only vine I have and one leaf. Trying to save the poor thing ' I will take a photo of it to.

Be safe and happy Holiday

Mike

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Here is one of my grow rooms
    You might see things in here you grow too.

• Bill M.
    yesterday

Meyermike - I like your grow room, it looks like a nice peaceful place. Mine is so crowded it reminds me of the jungles I love so much. I also like the geodes on the shelf. I have a few myself. They fascinate me. Tens of thousands of years to form and only under absolute perfect conditions - then we come along, dig 'em up, split 'em in half and enjoy them for our lifetimes! They are amazing, and to me they represent a more ancient slower way of life, then the planet was forming. I can't begin to imagine what this planet looked like during the time of the dinosaurs. From all I've read, some of the more intelligent dinosaurs did keep and raise hoyas. No really, it's true. there's even a species named after it - it's called hoyasaurus. In fact, a lot of their descendants frequent garden webs such as this one!

From what you've described, your plant room appears to be perfect. You may want to try some miltonia orchids. They're also known as Pansy Orchids are are huge fans of cooler temperatures. Your one room seems perfect for them. When I lived in NY, I had a small outdoor greenhouse I designed myself and built. I would let the temps go down to the mid 40's and they loved it. I grew exclusively orchids, some very rare and difficult to find. After moving to PA, I brought most of my plants with me but working a FT job and not having the time to construct another wooden GH myself, I purchased an aluminum and polycarbonate one. The aluminum lost too much to heat in the winters, so now it's only a 2.5 - 3 season GH unheated. Most of the orchids have passed, and I'm growing, or starting to grow, hoyas now. Your setup looks great for both orchids and hoyas which require cooler temps. Your upstairs room appears to be perfect for whatever you wish to grow, so go for it and fill it to the brim!

I wish you a lot of success with your plants. Stay well and enjoy this coming Thanksgiving.