Software
Houzz Logo Print
connie_stackhouse

1 or 2 nightstands?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I just redecorated a very small nursery to make it a spare bedroom. I used only 1 nightstand, along with a dresser beside the bed, on the wall perpendicular to the bed. If I had used a 2nd nightstand, the dresser would have had to go to the right of the window. That would leave barely a foot of space to walk around the bed, and the chair would have to go. The 4th wall at the foot of the bed is all closet. Room is 10.5 x 11.5. Recently I read that nightstands always should be in pairs. In my situation, what would you do? 2 nightstands and no dresser? Dresser beside the window? 1 nightstand the way it is? Other ideas? I should also say that I selected adult-looking




small scale youth furniture to fit what I have into the room. Thank you for your input!

O

Comments (17)

  • 5 years ago

    Ceiling light is not the best for a bedroom. Much better is a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height.

    Connie Stackhouse thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • 5 years ago

    The ceiling light is on the ceiling fan, and is dimmable. We also have 2 other lamps in the room

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    While I think that there should always be 2 nightstands especially if 2 people share the bed; in your case this is for guests. How many couples, how often will the space be used? if seldom, then leave as is.

  • 5 years ago

    We do have a larger primary guest room. This will primarily be used for our 2 young granddaughters. The lamp on the dresser is also reachable from the bed.

  • 5 years ago

    I think it is fine with just one nightstand. But the way I’m seeing your pictures it seems you may have more space for the dresser on the wall at the end of the bed? In which case I would move it there, lose the chair and put in the other nightstand.

  • 5 years ago

    Sorry just re-read your posting and wall at end of bed is closets, please ignore my comment🤭. One nightstand looks fine!

    Connie Stackhouse thanked lydcrafts
  • 5 years ago

    That wall has a double closet, centered with less than 40 inches on either side. The dresser is 54”, the smallest I could find. if The closet wasn’t there, I still have only 39” from the end of the bed to the wall, and the dresser would stick out into the doorway.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    One nightstand/light is certainly sufficient for overnight guests. If other person wants to place an item down, the dresser (as well as light) is an arm‘s length away.

    If you look at pictures of smaller rooms, they overwhelmingly have one nightstand.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I agree with your choice of 1 nightstand especially if it's going to be a guestroom.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I rarely use a dresser in a guest room but have often used night stands with drawers in a smaller space. I think what you have is fine.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    We think the one night stand will work since you have a dresser on the other side.

    Park Avenue Apartment · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    If you don't mind me asking where did you buy the comforter set?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It is the Emilie comforter set by Riverside Home. I got it at Kohl’s. It is also sold by Bed Bath & Beyond, overstock, Amazon, & Wayfair. I’m glad you like it!

  • 5 years ago

    Looks beautiful! Nice job!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Thanks a bunch. I have been looking for something like that for a while.


    And what really caught my attention is you managed to do with that room what I have been mentally fighting with for my own bedroom.


    I have one night stand and one bachelor's chest. With my room only being 11.5ft by 15ft. I want to put my chest exactly how you have the dresser. You have inspired me to do it.


    I plan on starting my own discussion in about a week to get help with decorating my bedroom.

  • 5 years ago

    Post some pics. I am interested in seeing what you are doing. I recently added some removable wall stickers to the one blank wall.