Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trista_majette

Yellowing Monstera

Trista Majette
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello,

New poster here, and thank you in advance for any advice.

I Purchased a medium – large Monstera in June that was doing really well during the first few months. There was lots of new growth, and Bright healthy Green leaves. Sometime in August the plant stopped thriving or growing. Any new growth that popped up, had brown tips, and during the last month or two, the bottom leaves have started yellowing and browning. I potted it in a standard organic potting soil, and have been fertilizing it with fish emulsion every other watering at half strength. I make sure to not water until the soil is dry. I typically test by putting my finger in to my second knuckle, it never gets watered any more frequently than every 10 days.

It seems to be accepting the fertilizer well, there’s no crust on the top layer of the soil. I live in a garden floor apartment, and the plant is placed 3 feet from a west facing window, a little bit to the left. Across the street is part open sky, part tall building and we have a bushy tree on our sidewalk.

After I repotted it, I noticed that the water sits on top for a moment, but then drains through pretty quickly. As time has gone by, the water pools less and less. The larger leaves nearest the window are deep green large and beautiful, but the leaves on the bottom and in the back are the parts I am having the issue with. It started with just the small leaves that have no splits, but now some of the larger leaves are beginning to yellow or brown or both.

I’m getting confused if this is an under watering issue, an overwatering issue, a soil drainage issue, a light issue, or some combination of each.

I’ve begun to be a bit more proactive about watering the plant, if anything it felt like I was watering it too infrequently. This issue started after a two week vacation with no plant sitter, and I often go at least two weeks between waterings. I have also started misting the aerial roots daily

I’ve been wondering if changing the potting soil would be the fix. I have organic cactus soil and organic standard potting soil. I was thinking of making it equal parts cactus soil, perlite, and for bark. I also have Pete Moss, but the Pete Moss seems to hold water in my other plants.

Any advice? Should I adjust the soil? If so, what soil blend do you recommend? If it’s not getting enough light, would adjusting the soil help? Or do you think it needs to be closer to the window. I just bought a moss pole, would that add any benefit to the issue?

Thank you so much!

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Nature lover
    3 years ago

Yellowing leaves can also be a sign of under fertilization or nutrient deficiency in Monstera plants. For best results, fertilize your plants using a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer at half-strength once a month during the growing season.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    3 years ago

Hi, Trista. It's common among hobby growers to believe that because this plant is a denizen of the rain forest, it must follow that it likes or prefers a wet medium. It does not. Most plants of the rain forest grow in a thin layer of soil and duff that rests atop solid rock and drains quickly and thoroughly. Your images show classic symptoms of over-watering, or put another way, they show a large fraction of the grow medium it's currently in is chronically remaining saturated for extended periods. This robs the roots of their ability to function efficiently and prevents the plant from moving water to its most distal parts, leaf tips and margins.

I can't tell how deep your pots are; but, if they're deeper than 5", it would be a good idea to abandon the second knuckle manner of testing for moisture in favor of using a wooden tell, stuck all the way to the bottom of the pot. See below for more info.

Balanced fertilizers like 20-20-20 do not provide nutrients in the ratio that plants use them, so in order to provide enough N, you have no choice other than to provide more phosphorous and potassium than the plant needs or uses. This excess has only the potential to be LIMITING. The average plant uses 6X more N than P, and about 3/5 as much K as N. Fertilizers with a 3:1:2 RATIO (ratio is not the same as NPK %s) comes extremely close to providing nutrients at a much more favorable ratio. Examples of 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers are Miracle-Gro 24-8-16 and 12-4-8, as well as Dyna-Gro's Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 which I and many here on the forums favor highly. It has many other advantages as well - if you have interest, just ask. It's the only supplemental nutrition you'll need.

The larger leaves nearest the window are deep green large and beautiful, but the leaves on the bottom and in the back are the parts I am having the issue with. It started with just the small leaves that have no splits, but now some of the larger leaves are beginning to yellow or brown or both. It sounds like the new growth is shading out the younger leaves, which are in the process of being shed. The first stage of this process is called 'resorption', during which the plant reclaims valuable nutrients and biocompounds and puts what is reclaimed to use in the rest of the plant, usually to help fuel new growth. Large leaves turning yellow might be caused by a wide array of cultural influences. Over-watering, compacted soil, poor nutrition (if you look at the NPK % of fish emulsion, and they differ, you'll see it lacks several essential nutrients and the ratio of nutrients is not in sync with the ratio at which the plant actually uses the nutrients. I don't know if you have gnats, but they do love fish emulsion ..... a couple of additional gold stars for the FP 9-3-6 fertilizer.

I’ve been wondering if changing the potting soil would be the fix. I have organic cactus soil and organic standard potting soil. I was thinking of making it equal parts cactus soil, perlite, and for bark. I also have Pete Moss, but the Pete Moss seems to hold water in my other plants. If by using the tell (see below) you determine the medium is indeed holding excessive amounts of water, a change of soil to something more appropriate could represent the transition from a soil that fights you tooth and nail, working against you and at cross-purposes to your efforts, to a soil that works for you. "The right soil" also makes watering and fertilizing monkey easy. If you're serious about putting more tools in your bag, This Concept will help you understand how/why water behaves as it does in soils. It's probably the largest single step forward a container gardener can make. You'll learn why the size of the particles that make up the medium you use determines how much water it will/can hold. If I was to grow another monstera, this would be what I would use, made from 5 parts bark and one each of peat & perlite.

Using a 'tell'

Over-watering saps vitality and is one of the most common plant assassins, so learning to avoid it is worth the small effort. Plants make and store their own energy source – photosynthate - (sugar/glucose). Functioning roots need energy to drive their metabolic processes, and in order to get it, they use oxygen to burn (oxidize) their food. From this, we can see that terrestrial plants need plenty of air (oxygen) in the soil to drive root function. Many off-the-shelf soils hold too much water and not enough air to support the kind of root health most growers would like to see; and, a healthy root system is a prerequisite to a healthy plant.

Watering in small sips leads to avoid over-watering leads to a residual build-up of dissolved solids (salts) in the soil from tapwater and fertilizer solutions, which limits a plant's ability to absorb water – so watering in sips simply moves us to the other horn of a dilemma. It creates another problem that requires resolution. Better, would be to simply adopt a soil that drains well enough to allow watering to beyond the saturation point, so we're flushing the soil of accumulating dissolved solids whenever we water; this, w/o the plant being forced to pay a tax in the form of reduced vitality, due to prolong periods of soil saturation. Sometimes, though, that's not a course we can immediately steer, which makes controlling how often we water a very important factor.

In many cases, we can judge whether or not a planting needs watering by hefting the pot. This is especially true if the pot is made from light material, like plastic, but doesn't work (as) well when the pot is made from heavier material, like clay, or when the size/weight of the pot precludes grabbing it with one hand to judge its weight and gauge the need for water.

Fingers stuck an inch or two into the soil work ok for shallow pots, but not for deep pots. Deep pots might have 3 or more inches of soil that feels totally dry, while the lower several inches of the soil is 100% saturated. Obviously, the lack of oxygen in the root zone situation can wreak havoc with root health and cause the loss of a very notable measure of your plant's potential. Inexpensive watering meters don't even measure moisture levels, they measure electrical conductivity. Clean the tip and insert it into a cup of distilled water and witness the fact it reads 'DRY'.

One of the most reliable methods of checking a planting's need for water is using a 'tell'. You can use a bamboo skewer in a pinch, but a wooden dowel rod of about 5/16” (75-85mm) would work better. They usually come 48” (120cm) long and can usually be cut in half and serve as a pair. Sharpen all 4 ends in a pencil sharpener and slightly blunt the tip so it's about the diameter of the head on a straight pin. Push the wooden tell deep into the soil. Don't worry, it won't harm the root system. If the plant is quite root-bound, you might need to try several places until you find one where you can push it all the way to the pot's bottom. Leave it a few seconds, then withdraw it and inspect the tip for moisture. For most plantings, withhold water until the tell comes out dry or nearly so. If you see signs of wilting, adjust the interval between waterings so drought stress isn't a recurring issue.

Al

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert