laura_mcelhinney9

kitchen island help!

Laura McElhinney

Hi there! I’m designing kitchen and stuck on configuration of what goes into the island and the order of everything. Can you take a look at the attached two options. Would live feedback!!

bottom
top

• Laura McElhinney

Here is another shot at elevations. Another qq on trash. Right now we’re planning two trash areas - one in prep area in island, another to the left of clean up sink. They’re pretty close to each other. Would love feedback on this. Do you think I can do double recycle in island where it’s located and get away with not having one by sink? Will I regret not having trash right by clean up sink for easy dish clean up?! I think it’s important to have trash on island for prep.

• Laura McElhinney

Not blurry. Sorry!

Kitchen Island Help!

I would suggest keeping the island size and countertop. I think that increasing its size would visually and functionally impede the dining area, and that the current finish maintains a level of consistency in an area where there is already some color inconsistency between finishes (i.e. cabinet color and flooring color).

Kitchen island help!

I think skipping the peninsula was a good choice. You have space for an island if you want one, for counter space, additional storage, and even a couple of stools, although it looks like you already have seating at the raised bar in the breakfast nook. Given that, you could just get a square island in the middle of the kitchen area proper -- just make sure you have enough space all the way around (40" usually), and that you don't block the path from fridge to sink. Should be doable.

Kitchen Island Help!

Great piece. I would paint the back same as other 3 sides. I would paint it a medium gray, right now it blends into the floor & cabinets. I would use it as is for a while before adding height with casters & top with overhang, so that you can better evaluate its usefulness

Kitchen island help!

In lieu of a built in island, consider a rolling cart cabinet usable as an island you can park with one of its ends either against the post or on the opposite side of the post from the kitchen. https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/hd0/adelle-a-cart-kitchen-island-with-granite-top-l56-k~atgr8753.html?refid=GX107983282826-ATGR8753_20256546&device=c&ptid=292866197488&network=g&targetid=pla-292866197488&channel=GooglePLA&PiID%5B0%5D=20256546&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImu7q-ris3QIVggOGCh1RiAYPEAkYByABEgKMKfD_BwE
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH

I'd put the prep sink beside the MW drawer, so you can scoop prepped items to the range, without going around the sink. Also, make sure your seating overhangs are at least 15" deep, for comfort at counter height.

Other than that, I really like your layout, and your window seat/reading nook looks as if it will be charming!

• lucky998877

I would also move the prep sink next to your mw, I just did that and it keeps my kids out of the kitchen/out of my way. I have 2 garbage areas also, 1 at the end of my L-shaped cabinet run...again, to keep people out...and the daily/food scrap one is below the prep sink. This works really well for us (family of 6).

• Laura McElhinney

Thank you! @mamagoose - so the island would be microwave drawer, sink, fridge drawers, cutting board drawer, trash? (From left to right). The reason we were trying to get sink farther to the right was to keep sink farther out of eating area. We def have 15 inch overhang! Thanks for the reminder. Do you agree two trashes are necessary? Thank you!!!

• Buehl

24" is plenty to avoid splashing and you have even more, you have 40" (15" seating overhang + 1" for decorative door/end panel on the side of the cabinet + 24" MW drawer = 40")

By moving the sink you not only reap the benefits listed above, but you also have more continuous workspace where it's needed most -- across from the range.

Trash pullouts...Two trash pullouts? If you have the space, sure, put in two. However, I would put the 2-bin 18" trash pullout in the island next to the prep sink for both trash & recycling. Put the narrower one next to the cleanup sink for trash. It's more important that there be a two-bin pullout in the Prep Zone than the Cleanup Zone b/c more trash & recycling is generated while prepping and cooking than while cleaning up, and for a much longer period of work time. You probably only need a single trash bin next to the cleanup sink, but you definitely need both trash & recycling for the prep sink.

If you don't want two trash pullouts, then put a 2-bin one in the island at the end closest to the Cleanup Zone so it's easily accessible from (1) the primary Prep Zone in the island, (2) the secondary Prep Zone b/w the range and cleanup sink, and (3) the Cleanup Zone.

Island seating...I think the island is 54" deep. The island also looks like it has "legs" in each corner on the short seating end. It may not be enough for two seats + legs. When you have legs or other obstacles, you need to add extra space for people to maneuver in/out of the seats. It takes more room to maneuver around the legs than it does open-ended seating. You should plan for 3" to 6" additional space for each end seat. You also need to account for the space the legs take up.

24" linear space for the seat + 3" maneuvering room = 27" for each seat

Two seats = 54"

Then, the legs, are they 3" x 3"? If so, another 3" needs to be added to each end.

Is there also a counter overhang around the legs? If so, then another 1.5" needs to be added to each end

Total....

1.5" counter overhang

+ 3" for the leg

+ 3" extra "maneuvering" space

+ 24" for 1st seat

+ 24" for 2nd seat

+ 3" for the leg

+ 1.5" counter overhang

========

63" for the overall depth of the island. It may mean a slightly deeper seating overhang on the long side, but that may be a good thing for either tall family members or tall guests (or either with long legs).

All in all, you should

I also like your layout overall (with the few tweaks mentioned above) -- great job!

• Buehl

Hmmm...do you need the "desk" in the Kitchen? I'm asking for a couple of reasons...

(1) Desks become "junk collectors", especially in Kitchens. Most people tear them out when they remodel, they don't add them

(2) If the desk is eliminated, you could have a nice reach-in pantry along the wall where you have a "bookcase"

Reach-in/step-in/walk-in pantries are superior pantries to pantry cabinets.

• They allow you to use the entire space, floor-to-ceiling
    • They allow you to see everything without having to open/close doors/drawers/roll out tray shelves (ROTS) while searching for an item
    • You can have the ideal shelf depth of 12" -- not too deep that things get lost in the depths but deep enough to store cereal boxes, cans 3 or 4 deep, pantry containers, all but oversized small appliances, etc. (E.g., my bread machine, blender, food processor, waffle iron, toaster all fit on 12" deep shelves. The only thing that doesn't fit totally within the 12" is my oversized toaster oven (it's the larger one that handles full-size pizzas))

Pantry cabinets, OTOH, have deep shelves (24"D) that allow things to get lost in the depths. Add to that the 24" or more width, and you have shelves that are impossible to easily find things. Even if you get the swingout, a lot of space is wasted on hardware, multiple walls, and empty space needed to allow movement of the swing out. Then, if you have to look for something, you're opening first one part of the swing out, then another, etc.

If you must have pantry cabinets, then get ones that are no more than 18" wide and that are pullouts (i.e., shelves attached to the doors that pullout when you open the doors). You can see everything without having to move things around by looking first on one side and then on the other side. You'll still have to open several doors looking for things, but at least you won't have root around the shelves searching for an item. (FYI....pantry cabinets are probably one of the most expensive cabinets out there (especially with "swing outs") and one of the ones that cabinet salespeople make the most money on when they sell them...just saying.)

• Buehl

An island something like this:

• lmckuin

I really like your kitchen layout! My kids (and dog) would love a window seat in the kitchen.

Our island has a very similar layout. It goes (from L to R): drawers, double trash/ recycling bins, prep sink, mw drawer, tray cabinet). I definitely like the trash bins right next to prep sink - it’s definitely where I prep everything and I can scrape trash and recycling directly into the bin. This is our only place for trash and recycling and I definitely would not like another one to have to empty and keep clean.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

I don't think you need two trash pull-outs--unless you have so much recycling that one won't be sufficient. A pull-out on the corner of the island can service all zones.

• Muriel Thompson

I had the same thought as Buehl when I saw the desk and seating area. Are you confident you’ll use that? Usually when I see that in someone’s home, it looks like an unused junk collection area.

• Laura McElhinney

Thank you all so much for the advice and suggestions! I’ll think through them all and think everyone is right regarding trash. Need one that is dual trash/recycle in the island. Now need to get husband on board. As it relates to desk area, totally appreciate that this often is underutilized or torn out in some homes, I do not have a home office and am currently working from home from my dining table. It’s the worst, honestly. We need a proper spot to have a computer. Not only for me and my work but also as my kids age as the family computer spot. I will make it look pretty and cozy so hopefully it won’t be only trash collection zone. Thanks again!!