Software
Houzz Logo Print
norgen

keep or get rid of?

5 years ago

I have had this urn for years and I really still like it, but it is tired. Those are bamboo poles i put in it to get it to look better. What can I do to make it stand out more or look great? (or get rid of it - I really don't want to)?



ignore The orange electric cord for my computer. i work out of the dining room - temporarily.



Comments (26)

  • 5 years ago

    Good question. Needs something different than the bamboo poles.


    https://www.google.com/search?q=large%20floor%20vase%20filler%20ideas&tbm=isch

  • 5 years ago

    just take out the poles. It doesn't need anything in it to look great.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    lol. i've got similar poles and a similar urn! I have it stuck in a corner. except my bamboo poles are thicker, darker and ridged.

    try finding a diff spot for your urn and put something better in that corner

    maybe a nice chair, or a tall plant




    or:


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Put it yard and turn it into a bubbler fountain.

  • 5 years ago

    Totally random safety concern comment. We're all doing the best we can working from home these days, but you may want to consider getting a shorter extension cord for your laptop. The longer the cord, the more the cable will heat up. Periodically check your extension cord to see if it's heating up after several hours use. If it is, get a shorter cord. Also, the longer the cord, the more there is a voltage drop, but likely not enough to affect your laptop as it has a universal power supply that accepts a wide range of voltage. But if WFM is your new normal, you may want to consider getting a shorter cord.

    Re: the vase, this look is nice



    norgen thanked tozmo1
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Put the vase away for a while and try life without it . If you have enough light then a nice tall plant would be great but the plant needs to be real.Get some art for above the FP and move that mirror somehwere where it reflects something worth seeing twice.Post pics of the whole space ir appears this is your DR with the FP so a bit unusual I would like to see the whole space.

    norgen thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 5 years ago

    I would not put anything in it - I think of it as an art piece, not a vase. If you like it, keep it, but make it the focus rather than what you put in it.

    norgen thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    something like these actually look pretty good










  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Too small pic to see clear. I would paint your urns with white and replace polls with olive branches.

  • 5 years ago

    tozmo1

    Thank you for your comment on the CORD!!!!! Today I smelled some burning, I never in a million years would have thought it was the cord if you didn't post the comment. I looked at it and in fact, the plug had burned black and was totally hot!! That's crazy that your comment made me even look at it. I unplugged it and threw it away.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    good catch toz!

    norgen, the problem is the length of the extension cord. That's a lot of juice being pushed through all of that length. it generates a lot of heat and that smaller outlet wasn't built for that.

    You need a 6 or 10 foot cord, not a 50 foot cord!

    Very good of Tozmo to notice that. Those orange extension cords are meant for exterior type of work in yard and around homes for shorter time durations.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Holy cow! I've never felt more useful. :-) I learned that one the hard way myself. There should be a list of "things we do all the time that don't seem dangerous but are."

    Here's one for the list: Cat bites, even when they don't appear to break the skin, can cause a very bad infection. Treat it immediately. Learned that one the hard way too.

    So glad I could help.

    norgen thanked tozmo1
  • 5 years ago

    Oh, and BTW, now you totally have to keep that urn and give it a place of honor because it may have kept your house from burning down.

    norgen thanked tozmo1
  • 5 years ago

    Speaking of cat bites, I had a patient that ignored a cat bite and DIDN'T even WASH it and ended up in the hospital with a raging infection and gangrene--surgeons amputated one of his fingers. I have 2 cats and always wash my hands if I get an inadvertent scratch.

  • 5 years ago

    the bacteria in a cats mouth is horrendous. even our own mouths have horrible bacteria. ( I did a culture of it in a pathology class. if people really knew they'd never kiss another human! lol)

  • 5 years ago

    Whoever thought Houzz would save lives and prevent electrical fires!!


    And look, no more electrical cord, i put some pine into the urn, and a trusty can of black semi-gloss spray paint on the sconces. (which i think I will replace)

  • 5 years ago

    for xmas you can up the pines, and do some lights.

  • 5 years ago

    Definitely agree the bamboo had to go. It was too tall. Why not keep it empty and stick it on a simple white pedestal to highlight it as a "art piece"?

    Atherton, CA / Art Installation · More Info


    norgen thanked margaret17
  • 5 years ago

    I'm not a fan of sticks or dry brush as decor. Imagine the fire that pine could have fueled!

    norgen thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 5 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste - I am thinking you might not like my latest find. Cut it from a tree in my backyard last weekend. Finding a place of honor for it somewhere in my home.




    You probably wouldn't like my sister's statement piece in her game room



  • 5 years ago

    @Jennifer Hogan - you'd love the 5' tall paper wasp's nest that was in our barn at the vacation cabin I manage! We didn't do anything with it though! I staged my aunt's home; Chinese decor from her husband's travels, a gold chesterfield sofa, and all their wild game mounts - huge elk, moose, etc and the finishing touch; a Chinese urn full of 10' black bamboo. Not against it at all, just the tentative way most use it as a filler and not a dramatic highlight piece. Try your hornet's nest in the center of a dining or coffee table!

  • 5 years ago

    OMG i can't believe your sister put that in her living room!!! I don't think decorating with wasps nests is a decor trend I will ever adopt :) !!!

  • 5 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste - hope you took my comment with a light heart - I was teasing you. I've seen enough posts by you to know you could make the barn at that vacation cottage look better than many living rooms.


    My oldest wasp nest is one I inherited from my mother more than 20 years ago. I think my brothers bright it in sometime in the 1960s. I didn't think of this as a trend item, but when trying to identify the species of wasp/hornet that made this nest I found a bunch of nests for sale on Etsy. One on e-bay is about 2' tall and they are asking $1500.00 for it. I can only imagine what someone might have paid for your 5' specimen!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @norgen , I understand your dismay. I kind of thought my sister was a bit nuts when she called me and asked me if I could drive to LA from San Diego to pick up this log and bring it with me when I moved from San Diego back to Central PA. But she was visiting her daughter and found it and it spoke to her. I had no idea what she was going to do with it, and neither did she, she just knew she loved the shape and feel and whatever it said to her.

    When I saw the wasp nest in the tree in my back yard it spoke to me. As I told Decoenthusiaste, this isn't my only wasp nest. I have one that my nephews sent to me back in 1986 when I moved to California and was homesick as anything. They knew I loved the wasp nest that my mom had displayed in her home and thought it would be nice for me to have a piece of home in my home. My mom displayed the one in her home because my brothers shot it out of a giant tree in our backyard with a bow and arrow. My dad talked to us kids about the amazing architecture of a bees nest. How they instinctively built a nest that hung from a tree branch with just a strand of wood fiber. How, somehow the bees knew the strength of building something with connected hexagonal shaped cells. How the hole in the top and the hole in the bottom and the paper exterior created a climate controlled space, perfect for hatching their eggs and rearing their young.

    When my mom passed away I inherited her wasp nest. Every time I see one of my wasp nests it floods me with warmth. It reminds me of the wonderful parents that I had and it makes me think of my brothers as they were when we were kids, not old and decrepit, like they are now. It reminds me of how much my family cares and how they worried about me being so far from home. It reminds me of just how amazing mother nature is in all her forms.

    To me, this is what decorating your home is all about. Not what speaks to anyone else, but having a home where as you walk from room to room you see things that speak to you and evoke memories that bring you joy or speak to you of things that you are passionate about.

    I will most likely find a place to display my newest wasp nest near my sculpture depicting the extinction of elephants due to the ivory trade. I spent 25 years working and volunteering for humane causes. Again, this sculpture is something that many find interesting, but many also find disturbing. To me it represents much of my life's work. It sometimes makes me sad, because we are loosing the battle to save elephants and wild mustangs are being cruelly rounded up and removed from land in favor of pipelines and we are still euthanizing far too many dogs and cats, but I am also proud of the work that I have done and enjoy educating guests who come to my home on the need to continue to fight for those 4 legged creatures who cannot survive without our help. I am reminded of Wild Horse Annie and how one woman changed the future of our wild mustangs through engaging school children. It gives me strength and hope.



    Your passions are probably very different than mine, but wouldn't it be wonderful to walk through your home and find joy and inspiration around every corner?

  • 5 years ago

    HI, I love crazy decorating and use of unlikely objects in decor, but for me, that hanging log conjured a very despicable time in the history of the South.