Software
Houzz Logo Print
tandac

Cabinets need updating

13 years ago
Renting this house but looking for ideas on how to spruce up these dated cabinets.

Am open to suggestions, including taking off some or all doors, putting on background , painting.

Relatively small kitchen so need to optimize these shelves. Tried storing food here on first month living here and attracted moths. Should I stick with dishes here? What do you guys think? This is the first thing you see when turning corner into our kitchen. And when walking on from back deck. So needs to look pretty.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

  • 13 years ago
    Thanks I was thinking the same. I'm contemplating taking off the top doors or bottom doors. to open up the room a bit.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would be careful going solid white, it gets dirty so easily and shows every little thing.
    Maybe remove the top cabinet doors and paint a color that will flow with your existing or planned color scheme. This could make a space that you can showcase items in such a decorative serving ware, pitchers, bar ware, etc. Hardware will also bring it out. If the house is not yours though I would be hesitant to modify things. I know I would not be happy if one of my tenants started painting my cabinets in our rentals that I spent time and money on.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Check with the landlord before painting because stained cabinets are easier to maintain in rental property.
  • 13 years ago
    Ms colours thanks for the tip. Good to know.
  • 13 years ago
    Brandon I was thinking of just taking the top doors off too. We have some nice things to showcase that were buried in our 700 sf apt for years. So it will be nice to see them.

    Of course I would ask the owner before changing the finish. Luckily he is a friend of ours and a reasonable person. House needs a lot of work inside and out and very thankful he wants to update, as the house is wonderful but very dated in some areas! Thanks again for the tips . Good to know on white paint. Most people advise the white. Seeing as a couple of cAbinets need replacing, it probably isn't worth painting them. Ill check with my guy and see.
  • 13 years ago
    Would wallpaper or fabric and spray starch work with the inside back of the cabinet once I take off the top doors. The faux wood liaminate is not unattractive. I don't know if you could easily remove fabric from this icky material (I don't understand the concept of gluing a fake wood contact paper to pressed wood!) or would paint be better? ... Of course I will run it by the owner. ... Oh how I envy you homeowners when it comes to things like this!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I truly believe that press wood is evil and should have never been invented much less ever used for cabinets lol.
    On that note I don't think I would bother painting a vinyl laminated press wood. I believe you will be disappointed in how it comes out. If you are friends with the home owner see if they will let you do improvement work to the home in exchange for rent till you guys finish the remodel. I know many people who have had rental units that had handy men renting the units. It normally turned out well for both parties. The landlord had an updated home he could charge more for when the tenant moves out and the tenant will have a space that he enjoys to live in.