Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fant_agirl

Entryway design

Me AGirl
3 years ago

Please help design my entrance.

We have a small foyer.

across main entrance we have a sliding door closet( doors to be installed), we will want to pit some slide pit drawers at the bottom).

on the left side of the closet, we have a wall space of 33”wide, next to the solid white door leading into the garage.

on that wall, thinking of a small bench To sit and out on boots.

maybe with storage? Or with hooks? “mudroom bench”? maybe with storage for extra slippers for guests?

on the right side of the closet the wall is 27”wide. Would like to hang a tall mirror (custom) not sure of width of mirror and frame. Between the crown moulding and outlet is 74”.

below mirror planning to plug in (during Canadian winter) a shoe warmer.

need a place to lineup guests shoes, and how large should a floor mat be? Colour?

such nice floors, wish it didn’t have to be covered up during cold wet months.

any suggestions for design would be appreciated.

Comments (13)

• Katrina Maloney
    3 years ago

Is your last photo a closet? If so, don't put doors on it and place or build a nice bench inside with cubbies under for shoe storage. You could place hooks right below the shelf for coats. The grey baskets you have already work for scarves, hats and gloves. Here are two ideas but there are thousands of benches to choose from depending on your personal style.

• Me AGirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes last picture is a closet.

It needs to function as a closet. So will have doors to hide all the coats and shoes.(will need to have custom built roll out shelving on right side at bottom.

but I like the second picture with bench and some hooks.

• Me AGirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe we will have something like this on the wall next to garage door?

• Me AGirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Or a bench with storage ?

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

Assume you will be painting interior of the door to the exterior white to match the closet doors? I like the separate bench and rack rather than the single unit. The gray paint you picked looks great. Best wishes on your project!

• Me AGirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Susan Murin I agree with you. I would also prefer a separate bench from rack

the white garage door is currently only primed. But I think I will paint it white?

The two sliding closet doors white as well.(5paneled).

perhaps I’ll just look for a low bench, and if I find one I like with storage under, it will be a bonus. What colour bench would look good here?

how about a tall mirror on the wall opposite the bench?

• Katrina Maloney
    3 years ago

I would just keep in mind that you will see everything hanging there. Depending on your style, you could go with "lockers" to hide items. But if you are hiding most things in the closet then the piece of furniture you sent with hooks would look lovely.

• Me AGirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Closet doors are not installed yet. we want to do some custom shelving for shoes at bottom first.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I actually am a bit confused as to what you need. Is this a family entrance or just a front entry? I hate seeing a bunch of coats hanging on pegs so I like closet doors . Can you post a pic of the whole space ?

• Me AGirl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Maureen

i would love to see a picture of your foyer if possible.

i like the floor rug, but I wouldn’t want to cover up my nice floors,at least not all of it, not all year

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

If the floor is shiny, please be careful. Our home had shiny marble tile and it was SOOOOOOO slippery when your shoes were wet! I had to always keep it covered.

Finally changed the floor (after 14 years!) to a floor-rated ceramic tile--no more fear of sliding, especially for my older visitors. Good luck.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

It’s small but I think I made the best of it and the closet Downsizing is not easy.

Me AGirl thanked Maureen