kwinseck

Help with blue on blue

kwinseck

Need help with options for a blue and white Kitchen. Blue corian with blue tile floors. Gorgeous kitchen with tons of natural light but looking for ideas to update and break up the blue while maintaining budget and staying true to original kitchen. Blue tile will be $$$ to replace as it’s installed throughout most of the first floor. Countertops will be $$$ to replace due to size and amount of space. We love the space and are looking for accents that can compliment what’s already there as we don’t want to renovate for at least a few to several years. Thanks!

• Amy k

It’ll be hard to get away from the blue if you do not have it in your budget to redo the floor. Here’s a few ideas that may help you achieve a change/different feel in a small budget -

Can you remove the backsplash (the little lip) or is this a solid piece that is part of countertop? Removing that would take away a little bit of the blue and would be more modern?

If you could remove the soffit above the counters and windows, that would make it more airy.

Change the hardware on the cabinets. That will give you a different look.

A pretty runner in front of the sink will break up the blue.

• Amy k

These are similar to our kitchen with a blue grey tile floor and white cabinets

I am painting a room and I want to get a Johns Hopkins blue jay blue

If you have something that IS Johns Hopkins blue, like a sweatshirt, take it to your paint retailer and have them color-match it.

Need help for covering a chair to go with brown and turquoisey blue rug, more brown than blue

That is more brown in the room than blue

Finding a blue is making me blue!

If you go with the silver-y tone, you can bring blue in through accents, even something as simple as towels or a wallpaper or accent in the backsplash or tiles, will do the trick, because against a neutral base the blues will really stand out. With saturated colors it does not take a lot for the room to communicate 'blue.' Often people make the mistake of thinking that the color must come in through paint, but often this ends up being too much and oppressive (out of proportion -- less a problem in bathrooms and kitchens where there are lots of tile or marble and cabinetry, but still a consideration). The stronger the color, the less you need of it (which is why the soft grey-ish blue works so well in those pictures, they are so subordinate in the grand scheme of things). I would say the Martha O'Hara rooms are predominately 'white-ish' (light neutral) where blue is being used in a sophisticated way as an accent (in the second picture the trim, millwork, cornicing, chairs, drapes and flooring really combine to create more of a neutral space that easily balances the powder blue walls and ceiling and because that room is so well balanced in terms of proportion and harmony the designer could easily have gone with a more in-your-face blue and it would've still worked. Like everyone else said, blue will look very different at different times of the day and under different lighting (it may pull toward green under incandescent light) and also relative to whatever else is contributing/polluting the visual field in the room so I'd definitely paint some swatches on the wall and see which works best for you.

Picking a blue is giving me the blues...

Hi Bri! Looks great.....and love the furnishings, too! Looking forward to seeing more of the space. How's the design project coming along overall? Are you working on finishing touches now?
  • Amy k

*similar to your kitchen

• kwinseck

Thank you! Was def thinking of hardware replacement. As for soffit, I was considering boxing it in to look more like an extension of cabinets to ceiling. Backsplash is def an option too. We’re torn on floors vs countertop. Contemplating a reclaimed wood/butcher block island to break things up too?

• kwinseck

Wow! I’m pretty sure I found your pics and saved them to my idea book! I love the tile!

• Muriel Thompson

Your soffit extends a good bit beyond the cabinets so there won’t be any easy way to create a false cabinet above your cabinet. I agree with others above to being some warmth into the kitchen with some wood and natural elements. Sit with it a while before putting any real money into anything there. It may not being your taste, but it’s a nice functional kitchen. Try it out for a while.

• kwinseck

Than you so much! I don’t want to jump too quickly so it’s nice to hear validation on living I the space before making major changes. We really love the space, just hoping for a few small cha he’s to break things up a bit. Can you share what your thinking g about wood and natural elements? The wheels are spinning now with some new ideas beyond false cabinets!

• kwinseck

The light fixtures are original to the house (1995) and we will look to replace that first as its low hanging fruit - electrician and sheet rock plus blending the textured ceiling. Any thoughts on fixture and hardware color? I’m leaning toward back for contrast but also lien the look of brushed nickel with a blue/white kitchen. Thanks all for your thoughts!

• everdebz

Possibly installed on ceiling, shade can be 'released' to change direction?

• LED/CFL/Incandescent bulb 10.5 H / 7.5 W / 12.5"

Industrial 1-Light Wall Sconce With Cone Shade Metal · More Info

• everdebz

Accents of warm finish is worth a try, since all is cool toned.

W 12" / H 11.5" / Swing Arm Wall Lamps

Omni Large Industrial Wall Mount, Aged Brass · More Info

• kwinseck

I’ve seen a lot of brass lately and definitely looking for a warmer look, which is why I was leaning toward black but this is warm but not stark in contrast, next level for sure and I love it!

• everdebz

Neutral that is warm -

Maeve Harris' 'City by the Sea I' Canvas Gallery Wrap, 36x40 · More Info

Lombardi Transitional Rug Cream, 2'7"x6' · More Info

"Hazy Dandelions" Painting Print on Wrapped Canvas, 32"x32" · More Info

• everdebz

On west side of a house I think purples become prettier. If you want a casual look, find 'vintage purple or blue' metal shades ?

Oriental Weavers Atlas 8037B Multi/ Multi Abstract Area Rug, 2'3"x8' · More Info

• everdebz

Idk if right hanging straight down... bright enough idk, but it's cute ?!

Orwell Articulating Wall Sconce, Pewter, Navy Blue Shade · More Info

"Lithosphere Black Yellow" by Hilary Winfield, Canvas Art · More Info

I can’t tell about the green tone of the island, but paint the walls that color and the tray ceiling the white of the cabinets.

• loobab

I love the countertops and floor!

If I had unlimited $$ I would reface the cabinets getting doors that were either slab front or shaker, and I would get rid of the soffit which would visually expand the kitchen.

But you want low-cost suggestions that will mitigate the blue-on blue.

What always looks nice is to increase the amount of natural elements.

I love a big beautiful cutting board.

The kind that is so beautiful and so expensive, you really don't ever cut on it.

This one is an end grain by Boos and is $200.

Another idea is a beautiful artisan basket or a few of them.

You can get them in shades of tan or with bright colors.

How about a big glass bowl full of lemons or limes or apples or peppers?

Whatever colors that appeal to you.

And you could have plants with colored foliage that do well indoors.

• kwinseck

So much great inspiration, I’m so grateful! Love the ideas for the soffit and lighting. Here are a few more pics

• Muriel Thompson

Rugs. Some runners and rugs will break up the blue floor. You’ve got lots of good bones to work with!

• everdebz

Not exact, but something to react to, maybe mull over --

Country kitchen updated by Annie Sloan · More Info

Upcycling · More Info

• everdebz

If that's creamy-tan-stone in counter, could have fabric [valance, etc] with colors you use in home, floral or other. What ways have you thought to bring color?

Lightridge - Fabric by the Yard, Aztec, 1 Yard · More Info

• everdebz

Old Gold Cream Beige Taupe Yellow Medalion Traditional Large S Upholstery Fabric · More Info

• everdebz

And you could hang a canvas art piece above the chest --

here's fabric idea --

Adril Fabric by the Yard, Indigo, 1 Yard · More Info

"Best Friend, Yellow Lab Puppy" Stretched Canvas Art by Cathy Walters, 30"x30" · More Info

Beth H. :

like the antique wood piece. was going to suggest bringing in natural wood. why don't you add some open wood shelving above that piece, and maybe make a little coffee bar out of it?

quick mock up. would actually be cute w/a sconce over the top

bring in similar stained oak shelving either like this (thicker floating oak shelves,,,,this chalkboard backdrop is cute too)

or maybe w/some brackets

these are from ETsy

and a nice jute runner, and it should warm up the space w/all that blue

last thing I'd do is trade in your knobs for handles

or, I like the black nickel too

• kwinseck

I love the concept! I was looking at similar hardware but I’m not an expert and was afraid it might not go. I love the shelves with brackets too 😍

• kwinseck

Thanks so much for the mock up and ideas, love the sconce

JAN MOYER

Your first call is to the electrician and drywaller to rid you ob the monolithic and unnecessary "space ship" looming over the island. Consider venting AND lighting. That will do more than anything else for the next few years. Don't peck at it. Start a piggy bank : )

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Blue and white can be cold when it lacks complementary colors and organic material. I'd try to bring in some texture, like woven wood shades, natural fiber rugs, baskets. Also as suggested, burnished brass accents in lighting or hardware. Colorful accessories (vases, pottery, bowls) in orange, yellow or green would warm up the space and be a great foil for the blue counter tops and floor. These are all low-budget items to use until you have the funds to make any big changes.

• loobab

Hi kwinseck-

I just noticed the additional photos of your kitchen.

I am not sure I know your style.

If you like the vintage look, then for sure, do as Jan suggests and save up to remove the whatever that is over your island and get better pendant lights over your island, and maybe a more attractive light over your table too.

One think I immediately felt when I looked at your first posted photo was that my eye was drawn to your three dish cloths.

Whaaat?

When that happens, that means I am color starved.

True, I couldn't see the little plant on your wood dresser, but you do have very little color in that kitchen.

Do you like it that way?

If you would like some color in the kitchen, and you like vintage type things, how about some vintage botanical prints of fruits or vegetables such as the type on Cook's Illustrated Magazine?You can pick the fruits or vegetable type/color you like.

Here are some examples.

There are also some great vintage posters for pasta, cheese, wine, whatever you like.

If you have more time than $, you can find lots of free , copyright free vintage art online from the Library of Congress and museums, etc and download it (upload it, whatever is the term) colorize it as you wish, resize it, change the proportions, etc and print it and plaque it, frame it, and voila.

You can go to any print shop/art store who will be thrilled to help you.

There is this book,

Vintage Botanical Illustration : Copyright Free Illustrations for Artists, Designers and Plant Lovers

and

Dover Publications has hundreds of books of copyright free vintage art and non-vintage things with electronic media.

• mrykbee

Quick fixes— Rug under table and two runners on either side of the island will warm it up a lot. Giant platter on island and flowers. Plants and a big chopping block. Art. Have fun! It’s a very nice problem to have. 👍

• kwinseck

@loobab @everdebz I really appreciate your ideas and feedback. We are buying the house and will be moving in next month so for me it’s a blank canvas. I like more of a farmhouse/industrial look. I love the idea of wood and adding texture to break up the blue and white. Was thinking of boxing in the island base and replacing the white base with a farmhouse look/wood base. Adding barn doors to replace the vent doors for the pantry. There is lighting built into the soffit above the sink. What are tour thoughts on boxing that in with reclaimed wood and painting the area around the lighting white? Also would love your opinion on the wall color. In person it looks more like a lilac than a cool blue. I was raised on a job site and can do all of the painting and most of the woodworking myself so the sky is the limit. Thanks so much!!!

• kwinseck

@ JAN MOYER I could t agree more! The space ship light will be the first to go :) I’ve already shown the photo to my electrician and even he had a good chuckle. I was thinking pendant lighting but not sure about color and texture...

• kwinseck

Thoughts on paint colors? I’m stumped.

• loobab

Hi kwinseck-

I think boxing in the island would work if you are not going to use the counter seating. I never would. However, use that space where the counter chairs were for clever storage, whatever you need storage for. If you have a lot of dishes, or cookbooks, or trays that can be stored vertically, think about what you have. You can cover that side with wood, and have closed cabinets that open with those magnetic touch latches. Or if you are going to use the whole thing for cook books, you can just build open bookshelves.

Regarding the barn door, I don't think a barn door is a good choice for a pantry.

You will already be using both hands to carry a large appliance or bags of groceries or trays, etc. into or out of the pantry, you won't have a free arm to finagle the barn door.

Also the sliding door will cover what's on either side.

I don't know the configuration of your pantry to make a recommendation.

The advantage of a traditional solid door is that you can hang lots of things on the back of it.=

I love the type of door you can simply push in with your hip when your hands are full, or your foot, and get a brass plate for the bottom of the door, but there has to be sufficient clearance for a push in door.

It is very difficult to discern subtle colors on the computer.

Whatever is the lightest color in your counter, if that is white or cream, go with that family in a light tint for the paint color. I think that is what was done for the cabinets already.

Beth above showed you lots of great ways to integrate a rustic farmhouse look. If you like more industrial you can add more metal.

I think it is important to cook with a hood vent that is properly vented to the outside, and from what I can see, you do not have that over your island cooktop.

You can get a great vent hood that expresses your taste.

You can also get a marvelous pot rack for over the island that is just your style .

If you do a pot rack and the vent hood, you might prefer can lights instead of pendants over the island.

• everdebz

I'm interested in this X design as detail for island....

Fox Hall SW9184 on island and barn door - Solitude Homes last year

Modern Farmhouse | 2019 Dry Creek Parade · More Info

• everdebz

Removing just the plastic/ light, and not the topmost 'structure' you might try horizontally flush wood panel with hanging edison bulbs of some kind.

Urban Industrial Chandelier, Antique White, Antique Brass Socket, Flush Toggle · More Info

• everdebz

Winston Pendant Lamp, 20 Lights, Golden Iron & Vintage Bronze · More Info

Cartweight 6-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze Round Chandelier With Headlight Glass · More Info

• everdebz

Could surround the upper structure with an industrial material -- so many from cold rolled steel, corrugated metal kind of too rustic. Copper or reclaimed wood. Together with new lighting it could be great...

• everdebz

Where to put shelves? What do you think about removing doors/ part of pantry, and place upper shelves there.... even where desk is could serve as something else.

Back new area with brick, or shiplap painted, and you'd think of something. ;)

A secondhand free-standing piece.

Beadboard in 2nd photo ?

Kitchen · More Info

JAN MOYER

I referred not to just the "spaceship " light, but the entire soffit above the island. Lose it : ) You need the drywall guy with the electrician.

• everdebz

how high are ceilings? I wanted to find the recommended height of pendants/ island lighting. Maybe leaving the topmost level would make for shorter cord lengths... it'd go with other rounded parts like the arches -- not as though it's the awful fluorescents with the fake wood box... I would not say a thing if you removed it, goodness....

• everdebz

Like this room - your ceiling oval might be suited to good style/ arrangement... electrician, etc...

NAVA Pendants | Blown Glass Dining Room Chandelier | Modern Kitchen Island · More Info

• everdebz

You asked about paint color --- ???

W 7.75" / D 7.75" / H 11" small but shape nice?

Quorum Filament Pendant, Oiled Bronze With Amber · More Info

• everdebz

I saw your 3 elec. places above sink -- idk if any posted could go there...

Large Bell 8" Semi-Flush Mount, Antique Copper, Glass: Plated Smoked · More Info

Large Bell 8" Semi-Flush Mount, Antique Copper, Glass: Silver Mercury · More Info

• Tara

Is that a pic of your kitchen now? What needs to be updated? It's gorgeous as it is. If you love it, why change it? Just for the sake of change? It's not avocado green and orange.