Software
Houzz Logo Print
paula_blay

help me style my kitchen.

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've just finished remodelling my house and the kitchen looks very bare and stark. I'd like some ideas on how to style it. should I add shelves, tile behind the hob, clocks, artwork? I want to keep my countertops relatively free, but think it needs a few key pieces there too. The photos are a little dark, the countertops are solid mid grey concrete and the doors solid oak.






Comments (34)

  • 5 years ago

    Love the window and all the natural light. I assume there is pot lights from ceiling to get light over the range. You could tile that entire wall in a light tile that is simple so as not to compete with the patterned floor. Or live with it a while. You could hang some artwork. Maybe something colorful and abstract. Your kitchen has a very cool laid back style

    Paula Blay thanked rachann61
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Thank you. I was very meticulous with planning the cupboard storage, everything has a place and is easy to access, hence nothing on the side. We have a quooker tap and built in coffee machine, so no kettle needed. The microwave is also built in. So although it looks like we've not moved in yet, we've actually been here 2 months and it still looks that bare! There are spot lights in the ceiling and in the cooker hood for lighting.

  • 5 years ago

    I would say art or shelves on the stove wall. Do you like greenery? What about something living on the left side of your sink? Lots of contemporary/modern style plants and succulents that would look good in front of your window.

  • 5 years ago

    Also your kitchen is beautiful!!

  • 5 years ago

    have you considered doing a curved slab backsplash behind the cooktop? You can google the images, there are lots of examples of people using a piece of marble for that though you could use tile as well. Because food splatters when you cook I really think something that's easily cleaned needs to be behind the cooktop. As for the rest you could do open shelves or art work depending on what lovely things you have to display. That's where you can bring in the pops of color.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    My reply disappeared...trying again. Beautiful and very European! But it looks like you haven't moved in yet. I would add herbs by the window in modern pots with varying heights. Place a salt and pepper mill with an evoo dispenser on a stainless tray by the cooktop to break up the countertop top and wall area.







  • 5 years ago

    The answer is nearly always plants and art.

  • 5 years ago

    Gorgeous kitchen. I would find a beautiful, large ceramic or maybe metal bowl and fill it with fruits and vegetables. Alessi has some very nice flattish, metal fruit bowls. I would not add open shelves, and personally do not care for art in a kitchen. I think the art in this kitchen is its very beautiful, modern and warm design.

  • 5 years ago

    I think you need some back splash behind the cooktop for messy jobs e.g. tomato sauce. But maybe you're a very neat cook, or use the front burners for messy dishes.

  • 5 years ago

    I love the suggestion of curved backsplash tiles. You know the white ones that are three dimensional. You seem to me as a very clean person who could easily wipe down the backsplash regularly. I’m not so good at those things

  • 5 years ago

    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your kitchen ❤️
    We are about to start a refresh of ours with white uppers and wood lowers.
    Can you share the stain color?

    I will be following this post for ideas 😊

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    There are some great ideas on Instagram - search modern kitchens. Look for the one with 444k posts!







  • 5 years ago

    So if you go online and start looking at popular modern kitchens you will have a kitchen that looks like it was designed by a committee.

  • 5 years ago

    LOVE it. I would keep my eye out for a fantastic sculpted piece for the counter such as a large handmade wooden tray or a huge oblong bowl with colors placed on one side of the cooktop. Then one painting on the wall. That’s it.

  • 5 years ago

    You’ve lived there and presumably cooked there for 2 months....how is the painted wall behind the cooktop holding up to splatters and cleaning? I personally would want a backsplash and a single piece of stone (not marble) would be a nice addition to your beautiful kitchen!

  • 5 years ago

    hi, Thanks everyone for your ideas.

    paintedpeggies, sorry not sure on the stain colour, it was from Koak kitchens and just called colour 301. the kitchen is actually an ikea kitchen with custom oak doors and solid concrete worktop from Koak.

    The painted wall behind the hob is holding up perfectly, despite lots of cooking splashes it simply wipes clean. However, I think a Splashback there would add interest and be a little more long lasting. Not sure what you mean by curved Splashback or 3d looking tiles though. Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands so maybe it's not popular over here?

  • 5 years ago

    A modern steel floating box shelf unit on either side of your range would be interesting and add some volume to your range wall. Keeping them symmetrical would be key but could be styled differently with cookbooks, footed bowels, pitchers etc.., lots of inspiration photos out there! Instead of a traditional tiled backsplash you could consider glass art, photo printed on glass for behind your hob. Thin and washable! Maybe enlarge a single pattern image from your floor tile to keep it simple and cohesive? A knife block, utensil holder, paper towel holder, or even a toaster oven are all functional items that make a kitchen feel cozy and lived in. Nice remodel!

  • 5 years ago

    I think a backsplash would break up the expanse of white wall ....here are a couple of pictures I found...........a 3-D type tile (although I’m not sure I would want to have to clean it!), some larger sized tiles and a “curved” piece of stone, although a rougher more natural edge detail would suit your kitchen better.

  • 5 years ago

    Trying to figure out how to post photos from my idea books...

  • 5 years ago

    Here they are...

  • 5 years ago

    One more..

  • 5 years ago

    this is what I was thinking of when I said a curved backsplash. Obviously it can be cut to any shape or even created with tile so color choices and style are infinite.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Gorgeous kitchen, so sleek. While not my aesthetic ( I live in a 120 year old farm house) I am envious of the clear counters! Backsplash behind the stovetop that doesn’t clash with that gorgeous floor and finding interesting sculpture and maybe something in a rustic wood bowl or cutting board would be my thought. Perhaps a rug by sink?

  • 5 years ago

    Agree with a simple backsplash behind stove- either a single piece of stone or porcelain or a simple tile with some dimension. Would consider adding modern very clean-lined shelving on either side.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks everyone. Think I’ll start with a splash back and some nice chopping boards lent against the wall. And maybe add a shelf with a few key pieces if it still needs more.
    Ann, this is a new style for me too, I’m usually very country kitchen style and my last house was over 400 years old (1610). Thinks that’s why I was at a loss what to do!

  • 5 years ago

    Photos please when you’re done!

  • 5 years ago

    What cabinets do you have? They look great.

  • 5 years ago

    Crazyamydaisy They’re IKEA cabinets, with solid oak doors from Koak kitchens, based in the Netherlands, but there are a lot of companies that make custom doors for IKEA cabinets. They also did the worktop, which is one solid piece of polished concrete. I love the fact the worktop has no joins, not even in the corner.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think the kitchen would look stunning if you did that long wall with tile or shelving, or both.

    A Zellige tile would be gorgeous w/the otherwise modern look

    (they have tons of colors, these two just show the white)






    or, look at some of these other examples and see if you like any of them. (keep in mind the colors in the pics would differ for your space)

    Simple line of vertical placed tiles w/a single wood shelf


    Glass panel or glass mosaics:






    I like the marble splash here w/the integrated shelf. very clean design


    Or, just bringing in a piece of marble to run the countertop length


    You can do two shelves, one, or none. maybe a few pendants or under 'shelf' lighting.




  • 5 years ago

    You obviously need some color, a backsplash (tall behind the cooktop), and some window treatments. You can wait for a couple of months to decide if you can get everything into the drawers or if you need some shelves or upper cabinets. Don’t make the decision until you live in the space for a while. If you decide that you don’t need wall cabinets or shelves, add some art on the empty walls.

  • 5 years ago

    We will add shelves. We were already thinking we needed some before disaster struck -was thinking wood that matched the cabinets, probably floating

  • 5 years ago

    And something behind the stove area. My husband wants a glass panel I think.

  • 5 years ago

    Sorry, was talking to myself again!