jlhart76

November 2020 Week 3

jlhart76

Looking through older threads, most of this week's tasks are the same as last week. Plant trees, pansies, kale, daffodils, etc. Minor pruning of trees. Rake leaves for the compost or use as mulch.

I got a chipdrop order last week so I'll be hauling wood chips for a while. That's all the gardening I'm doing.

• Larry Peugh

Jen, I like the idea of fast forwarding, I think that it would be nice to fast forward to about 2nd week of February.

I have sit around and not done anything today, but I hope to get out and plant some garlic that I did not get around to planting yesterday.

I will soon need to start getting our center bedroom ready. my wife is letting me use it for a seed starting room.

• dbarron

Err, I guess this thread is applicable next week? That's really getting ahead!

OLLD 3/23

Astraea. that was over 50 years ago, vets were few and far between in those days. I think you have to be registered as a breeder now to own a cat that is not desexed. For everyone else, there is no choice, although I'm not sure whether that applies to females only or does include males. The problem with not desexing males is the antisocial behaviour it brings out in them. Not having had a cat for years now, I've lost track of the current requirements. I'm not really up on the current requirements as far as mortgages go. I know some places will let you borrow 100% but that would be if you had other equity and you would also pay a higher interest rate. Ideally you should have 20% for the most favourable deal but with flexible repayments now many people who have the ability to save prefer to put it into a mortgage as rents are very high and rentals hard to come by. We have a huge shortage of property generally. You don't pay someone else's mortgage if you can avoid it. After a few years, if they have made a significant impact (particularly with both spouses working) they renegotiate the mortgage for a more favourable one. Some mortgages are so flexible they are structured so you don't have to renegotiate. It is an absolute minefield now, there are so many options, I think it is why Mortgage Brokers are thriving, it is too hard for the average person. Last July, the National minimum wage here was set at $15.96 per hour or $606.40 per week, but incomes over $100,000 pa are becoming the norm. Superannuation is compulsory and Medicare is paid as part of tax but you also need private health insurance that you pay yourself. Our health care system is totally different ot yours. A lot depends on the work and who you work for. This website and it's links might give you some better information http://www.fwc.gov.au/index.cfm?pagename=minabout

I just recently found out about our Dear Spencer. I am so sad. She had great design sense and knew her style!. I got her. I am so very sorry that I never got to see her of which she invited us several times. We couldn't wait to help her here on houzz and I got excited to see where her creativity would take her next! I am so happy that I wore leopard pants in honour of her, when many of us met in Nashville where she had tried to join us. I had talked to her several times and felt she was a good friend. She is missed! My love to her family!

What's on your November to-do list?

The windows are washed and DH has the yard raked for about the 12th time, the gardens are cleaned and over 300 tulip bulbs and some hyacinth bulbs are planted. All the hardscape is in and protected, as are the potted plants I am overwintering. Now, I just need to cover the roses, mums and hydrangea for the hard winter ahead. It's a good thing, cuz we are suppose to get our first snow early - on Mon. Whoops! I best get some firewood this weekend. Jean, you must be the upper Midwest too. I too want to get some of my outdoor lights up this weekend or it may be too late. Make sure I have enough checks for the Gifts. Yes, we are old and shop for only one gift each for the daughters and grands. So I am ignoring Christmas for now, since I have already made reservations for several of my groups. In the meantime, we will make plans to host our small family for Thanksgiving. The house is ready, since I still entertain some every month and keep it pretty much cleaned and in order. I do plan to clean the fridge good tho and steam the packed carpet where I moved furniture in the study. I plan to do some more closet purging. I still need to place some on line orders for some accent tables and table lamps for the living room I am nearing completion. I may paint an accent wall in the study - I know they are of style, but it is my house. I have begun putting out the winter linens and we are already enjoying the cozy throws. Besides the holidays, I have our maintenance guy coming to clean gutters and the contractor to measure for additional bookshelves and our geek to work on the computers. I am also trying to decide whether I want a recliner or a love seat in the study, new/reupholstered furniture in the conservatory, kitchen and family room. I selected the curtain fabric and must get those made am trying to select an area rug, seating and maybe a table and shelves with casters for use beside my computer. Until I can get all our workers going, I am cleaning out files and shelves, so I know what additional space I might need. Oh yes, I used to do an enormous amount of decorating, so I started putting out a lot less last year. So this year I want to be very thoughtful about which I put out, so I can rotate my favs and photograph those each year, put them in an album on the coffee table during the holiday, so we can look at them, enjoy and remember. Sorry about the length of this. I tried to get it all down together to keep me on target. Happy holidays to all of you. jan

Winter Curb Appeal: Landscaped front yard needs help from November - M

I agree with other posters that you should paint the coach light and its pole black. You might consider adding matching, wall-mounted coach lights to flank your front door and the garage door. You also might add white-painted window boxes and add real or artificial greenery, pine cones, and weather-proof ornaments in colors appropriate for certain holidays. For the fall season, you might use the pole to support a scarecrow dressed in autumn colors and then place three or four large pumpkins along the sidewalk. For winter, add a wreath with a red and green plaid bow to each door, window, and the yard light to celebrate Christmas. Later, you could suspend a string of small red or pastel-painted wooden hearts from the wreath on the pole for Valentine's Day and change out this string for a string of small green-painted wooden shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day and the spring season. For a bit of "punch," paint the trim around the garage door the same beautiful red as your front door. I do not know what your budget it, but it seems the house would look better with double windows on the right rather than the single window. Other posters' suggestions for evergreen plants and color are great, but some colorful, seasonal decorations could help with the curb appeal as well.
  • jlhart76

My seed starting room last year was the closet in our cat room (yes, the cats have their own bedroom). But it's really crowded so it's a tight fit. I'm thinking this year to put the shelves up in the garage. They're those little mini greenhouse sets, so if I put the plastic over them & use a couple heat mats it should give enough warmth to counter the unheated garage.

• dbarron

And....now this is on time. Wow, what a surprise to have tornado watchs last night. I didn't expect that, neither did I expect to wake up overly warm this morning. I sleep better when it's slightly cooler in my bedroom.

Well, have a happy week as we begin preparations well in advance of Thanksgiving. Not sure how many people will have big gatherings, it might not be the wisest time. Hey, maybe Thanksgiving can be outside at least this year. It might be warm enough.

• Larry Peugh

My wife and I have talked about not even having Thanksgiving. We may just celebrate together, we don't like the idea, but we both have health issues, and we are at the age where most of the family has other ideas. The kids are having grand kids of their own, and have too many places to go. Plus there is so much friction in my family that many of us don't visit. Then we have the issue that we don't like to drive any more, getting old is tough.

I had a good day yesterday. I picked a good mess of greens and took over to my aunt and uncle, they love greens, and love to have me come over. I dont go into their house, we just visit outside for a while, then come back home. This Covid thing is putting a cramp on my lifestyle.

I also put the brush hog on the small tractor and cut down the pampus grass at the end of the drive way, and cleaned up the wildlife garden. The deer have already eaten most of my Austrian winter peas. It may be that I have to go to a collard cover crop. The deer don't seem to like collards, nor turnips. This is the first year I have planted turnips and collards for a cover crop, I am still not sure how they are going to work out.

I still have a lot of clean up to do in both food gardens. I also think I will steal Amy's idea and put a cattle panel over an area in the north garden and grow lettuce under it. I even think that I have a roll of plastic in the shop that I can place over the cattle panel.

We had some pretty strong wind last night, but I have not noticed any damage, I will have to go around the yard and pick things up.

• luvncannin

Larry I think being together and being thankful is just right for you and Madge

we are having a simple one and I am not cooking

• OklaMoni

I hope no one lost anything because of the wind yesterday. It was just awful here. I even witnessed the same kind of sparking like two weeks ago when I lost electricity... but this time, it was across the back yard, at another house. Way to many people without power again.

On the bright side, it is quiet today, and the sun is shining.

About Thanksgiving... at the moment a friend of mine and I are planning on having a TG meal together here at my place... if nothing unforeseen happens. we are both more or less living in a bubble, aka not seeing anyone else.

Yes, Turkey and ALL the stuff I love and want... the main ingredient is already in the freezer.

Lets turn this to gardening: Why oh why do I have soooo many gnats indoors now? I bought new potting soil for the tomatoes I planted in pots, after they made roots (I cut of branches just before pulling the plants, and rooted them in water).

What would your plan of action be, to get rid of the gnats?

Have a GREAT week everyone.

Moni

• Larry Peugh

Kim, I will enjoy it, I do however like to be with family, but with the covid, and everyone being out in the public it may be better to be alone with our little dog, he was 14 in Sept., and I am afraid this may be his last Thanksgiving with us.

I don't like for Madge to cook a lot, but it VERY hard to get her to not do it, she is working on a meal now. This is the day for my daughter and grand daughter to come over, but I have not heard from them, they both are very busy. Both sides of the family are a little reluctant to come over, they dont want to carry a bug to us.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

We lost 2 of Ron's cousins last week. You all know how we feel.

Moni, my daughter has had an invasion of something. She thought fruit flies, but those traps have not helped. I think hers might be drain flies. I told her to put vinegar and baking soda down her drains to clean them out. If yours are in the dirt yellow sticky traps. Also look for mealy bugs. The males are flying gnats and the females look like cotton on stems. Of course there are also fungus gnats, and they need drier soil. Some people say to put sand or diatmacious (sp?) earth on top of the soil.

We will have a small Thanksgiving, too. Ron wanted to do a big meal, but half the kids will be out of town. There will be 6 of us, which makes it a family sized meal for us.

Danny said on another thread henbit is edible. I'm going to have to look for henbit and see what it tastes like. I think I tasted it before, but don't remember. I like chickweed.

I missed knowing about the storms. I slept through it. I show no rain on the weather station. Of course it gets clogged sometimes, so it could have rained.

Everyone have a good week.

• OklaMoni

Thanks Amy! I put some baking soda and vinegar down the kitchen drain. I hope, this helps a lot.

I know, there were some others... because the lemon balm and aloe vera I brought in just ahead of the ice storm has something teaming in the pot.

I put that outside, once it was warmer overnight again. I plan to dump it, and replant in the potting soil I bought for the tomatoes. Crossing my fingers, that will work... I will do this, prior to bringing it back inside. :)

Moni

• Larry Peugh

grand daughter teaching me.

My grand daughter is trying to teach me how to use my camera and post on gardenweb. This is my 14 year old baby, he spends a lot of time sleeping.

I will try to find out if my camera takes a better picture than my tablet.

• Rebecca (7a)

My rosebush is blooming, zinnias are still alive, and I’m still eating cherry tomatoes off the plants. Man, 2020 is weird.

• dbarron

Yeah, as unreliable as long range forecasts are, they don't show that there's any chance of a real freeze (into the 20s) until mid-December. So, if it's right, cole/cold crops will be available until Christmas probably, which does seem weird, doesn't it?

• Larry Peugh

I expect to have some cole crops all winter long. The quality will drop, but I expect I will have something to eat, that is the reason I picked the crops that i did. Most of my experience with these crops are from using a deer food plot mix. Although sometimes the mix does not tell exactly what type of seed is in the mix, I think by buying "Forage" seeds I can get close enough. The adds for these seed, say, bred for added nutrition and hardiness, and they do seem to be more hardy.

The outside temp is 31 now, and may drop another degree or two. I think the Ft. Smith weather said the low would be 35, but we are often 5 degrees lower than Ft. Smith.

Daughter and grand daughter were over Sunday and took produce home with them. I expect that will end soon because they don't care much for the cole crops.

• OklaMoni

Amy the gnats or what ever are gone for now. Thanks! Not sure, why I could not come up with that myself. Appreciate your help.

Now, for garden... who eats their dandelions? I have a few nice plants... and am thinking of cutting the leaves some, and toss them in a stir fry.

If you eat them, how do you prepare?

Moni

• jlhart76

My grandma used to add them to her wiltrd lettuce salad I remember not caring for it, but I don't like any mushy greens. I'm pretty sure she used lard or bacon, she was one of those old timer cooks & didn't make anything low-cal, fat-free, or any of those "new fangled diets".

• dbarron

Well, you gotta admit, those old timey recipes TASTE good, even if not good for you. I see no problem with them if you only indulge relatively infrequently.

• jlhart76

Oh absolutely! Fried chicken just doesn't taste the same unless it's fried in crisco. But the last time I actually used crisco, they'd reformulated it & it didn't taste the same.

• Larry Peugh

I have been working for an hour to get a message and picture to post.

This is a picture I posted with Nancy in mind. This is a picture of the wildlife garden, in an area where there was an old roadbed. You can see some of the old red shale/rock in the lower left side of the picture. This red shale was formed from the high heat in the coal tipples from which it was dug close to a 100 years ago.

Anyway, the old roadbed ran from the lower left of the picture, up toward the top center of the picture. You can tell it looks nothing like an old shale road now. I may not live long enough to make good gardening soil in this area, but you can also tell that it looks nothing like an old county road.

I will try to post this picture and post before I lose it again.

• Larry Peugh

I think my taster is messed up, nothing taste like it use to. Madge and I were talking about that at lunch. We had mustard greens for lunch, and they were very good. My mom would have cooked them differently, I doubt they would have taste any better, and probably not as healthy. Madge finds it hard to believe that I once used bacon grease like butter. We had real butter when I was young, but I never cared much for it. I don't remember mom baking a potato, she would boil them whole and we would skin them when we ate them, then burst them up and mash them a little and pour grease over them. We would kill hogs every year and render the fat, so we most often had plenty lard. Mon always had a container on the stove that looked like a small coffee percolator that she poured the grease into. I don't think she ever changed the oil in it, I think it would last longer than Mobil one. Maybe she just let us kids eat up all the old oil, but it was sure good.

• jlhart76

I have a small jar of bacon grease next to the stove. My husband doesn't understand why, I just tell him it's a aouthern thing.

Small thanksgiving as far as two legged companions. Me, Cliff, and his sister, maybe his mom. My dad & his wife won't come down because she doesn't like dogs in the house & thinks it's dirty. But we'll have at least 10 (so far) dogs here so it'll still be a full house.

• hazelinok

Hi.

Sorry I haven't been around. It's not that I'm not trying to be supportive....life is just a lot right now, right? I do want to keep this place going for us and for Dawn. Thank you to all who have faithfully posted here.

Some of you have seen my facebook posts, so I'm sorry if any of this is a repeat. You can skip this post. In the garden, it's greens, peas, and brassicas. I was super excited to see a small head (I'm not sure what it's really called) on a cauliflower plant today. I limped out and looked over everything in the Survivalists Garden. Also grabbed some kale while out there. Productive cauliflower is a first for me. All of the brassicas need to get on it NOW. Persephone is descending as we speak. (A song came on yesterday on one of my Spotify stations/channels. It's called Persephone's Descent.)

When Tom came home from work a little early, we started on Christmas lights. We are doing new ones this year, but need to purchase more. We only made it half-way around the house. It made me feel cheerful. I was worried these lights would bother me. Last year I decided to give away our colored lights and go back to white lights. Our last house's style "called for" white lights, but Ethan always wanted colored lights, so we did colored lights at this house, but I was ready for a change--I want a more magical, fairy-like style now. BUT, because of all the other changes this year has brought, I was worried the new lights would make me feel sad, but they didn't. I felt joyful this afternoon and even put on some classic Christmas tunes while we worked on the lights. We probably won't light them up until Thanksgiving night. It's traditionally what we do.

My jobs are so very hard and heart-breaking right now. I can't really talk about it all here, but it's been difficult.

My feet are all flared up again. SUPER annoying. I ordered my first pair Vionic shoes. They are boots actually. I'm about to replace all of my shoes/boots. I should have done this over two years ago when my feet were so bad. I probably wouldn't be in this fix now. I suspect they're flared up because of all the "dressy" things I've attended over the last 2 months. I bought shoes I though were comfortable, but they weren't. Although they probably would be for people with normal feet. That, and I've been on my feet more with work. There's very little time to sit down. So...I'll pay the money and buy shoes for bad feet.. It is necessary at this point...either that or don't walk. Grrrr!

Nancy, how are you liking your Oofos? I'll probably get a pair of the mule type of slide for outdoors soon. And wear the flipflops indoors until it gets cold and then I'll need to get some Vionic slippers.. You should check into Vionic. They're supposed to be the best for foot, knee, and hip issues.

We spent the weekend in Broken Bow. It was relaxing. We were disappointed that some of our favorite things were closed due to Covid 19, but the cabin was delightful. It had a huge back porch with a fireplace and hot tub and TV. I wanted to stay a few more days.

Oh..another gardeny thing. I finally planted the violas and pansies I bought weeks ago. They are all white and I put them in the small front flowerbed.

That's about it for me.

• OklaMoni

Jennifer, let me know about the Vionic slippers when you get them. I would love some new slippers... but they have to be warm, and not padded. I totally dislike the extra padding they have in womans slippers these days. Give me a good footbed instead.

Moni

• Larry Peugh

I have a large outbreak of aphids on my turnip greens. I am growing the greens more for a green manure/cover crop anyway. I have greens everywhere. My question is, should I try to kill the aphids, or leave them for a food supply for something else? Normally I try to get rid of aphids, but I don't need the produce. What would be the pros and cons of leaving the aphids alone?

I picked and cooked more greens today, and did a little work in the wildlife garden. There is really not much going on around here.

• dbarron

The way I see it, the aphids aren't bothering you. Why poison the environment for no gain? I'm not entirely sure this time of year anything will eat them (too small for most birds probably?)...but still no gain :) If we ever get a freeze, they're gone.

• Larry Peugh

I have had a few frost and freezes, but only for a shot period of time. It has been down to 30 a couple of times. I picked a pepper yesterday, but it was down close to the ground and was protected.

Another thing I have noticed, is the insects around and on the cole crops. I dont see well and cant get around fast, but it looked like many kinds of bees, and something larger, looked a little like yellow jackets, didn't look quit like honey bees, but could have been. Do bees hang around where there is no flowers? would wasp or bees like aphids?

Well, I had better get around, got Dr. appointment.

• dbarron

Some wasps species (and I think yellow jackets are one that does) like meat more than nectar. Certainly hornets are insectivores, though aphids are small for most.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

If you have any cabbage worms, Larry, wasps eat them. I haven't seen the white butterflies in a while, but maybe the wasps are looking for a last meal. It would be interesting to know if wasps and hornets stoop to aphids when there is no bigger prey. If the aphids are alive, maybe the ladybugs are too. I wouldn't bother the aphids, like Danny said. And ants might milk them. If nothing else, maybe a few straggling predators will lay legs for spring.

Bees ate the corn dust from Dawn's cracked corn that she put out for doves. There are some plants that have "nectar " that kind of oozes out at leaf nodes, though I don't know if Cole crops do that. Maybe they're after dew drops for a drink.

Not much going on here. Found out my dad's retirement center is in lockdown again. I can't take him for dinner Sunday. I hope the vaccine happens soon.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

Brassica juncea have "extra floral nectaries". That would be mustards. I didn't find anything that said other brassica did this, but I suppose it's possible. Here is a "layman's" article about EFNs. https://www.honeybeesuite.com/the-secret-of-extrafloral-nectaries/

And here is the abstract of a longer article about the juncea. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22889298/#:~:text=Abstract,extrafloral%20nectaries%20in%20Brassica%20juncea

• Larry Peugh

Amy, Danny, thanks. Amy, I will have to do some reading on this, I have never heard of plants producing anything like that.

I stopped at the Farmers Coop on the way home and bought more purple top turnip seeds, giant curly mustard seeds, and sugar beet seeds. I have never tried to grow sugar beets, but I wanted to fool around with them. I dont remember ever growing giant curly mustard either. I dont think Madge will like that, she will say that it is too hard to wash. I dont see how it could beat my Florida broad leaf, that stuff is really producing. I eat some of it several times a week.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

So the biggest non covid event in owasso happens on my street and nobody's around to notice. House fire 2 doors down. Oxygen tank explodes and kills one, injures 4 firefighters and one other resident of the house. We had lots of excitement tonight. My house even made it to the news. All the video shot from in front of my house.

• OklaMoni

Oh my gosh, Amy that must have been scary.

• Larry Peugh

Amy, that is not the excitement that any of us need. I am sorry for the the the fatality, injured, and their families. Was this the type of oxygen tank that a person has to use to breathe or the type on a metal cutting rig, both can be dangerous? There may be an oxygen tank in my future, and I am not looking forward to that.

I am going to deliver 3 pumpkins today. I am doing what I can to get people interested in growing some of there own food. One family I took pumpkins to made a pumpkin cake and said it was very good, and will take them more pumpkins. Another family made pumpkin cookies and brought me some, I liked them, that is one of the families I am taking another pumpkin to today.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

You are such a good and kind man Larry.

We thought an older couple lived in the house, but they said the man was middle aged. There was an "elderly" woman brought out first. She was released from the hospital already, as was at least one fireman that was closest to the explosion. We are assuming it was a personal oxygen tank. We didn't know them. My daughter pointed out that the house was gutted a year ago, remodeled and flipped. There was speculation that a cigarette started the fire, but later they just said the cause was under investigation. I think there were 3 fire trucks and pretty much every police car in Owasso, along with more than one ambulance. My son had just pulled into the driveway when a cop pulled up and blocked the street to the west about the middle of our property. I'd been hearing sirens getting closer and closer and was worried Mark had been in an accident (you know, moms go for the worst case scenario). Mark had not gotten into the house when the explosion happened. It was very loud, louder than a transformer blowing. There were blue and red lights on the street for 2 hours. Mark and his boys stayed here till the street opened up. We fed them hot dogs. It was very exciting for the 7 year old. All 4 TV stations have video, and for some reason channel 8 used OUR house. I think they were late and the only police car left was near us. It is very strange to see the videos and realize it's right out front. when I saw channel 8's video I decided I better call my dad in case they recognized my house.

So gardening. I got the bare root trees. Any advice on planting them?

• dbarron

Err, unpack, soak roots for at least a couple of hours, dig holes (extra wide), spread roots into hole (don't cramp them up), fill...possibly leaving a small depression to aid watering in the first year if you think it's necessary to have a well (I don't know your soil), water in. Do not allow roots to dry out during this process. Do not amend soil, there's no point in it.

• Larry Peugh

I planted 24 more garlic today. I have no idea what kind, I dug them up from the edge of the road. I may go back, it looked like seed pods on the top of an old stalk, not sure if any seeds were there, not even sure what it was.

• Nancy Waggoner

Hi all. I've had my nose in books all week, so haven't been on the computer much. I was outside earlier today, marveling at the warm weather and butterflies. Nov. 20 and lots of butterflies and bees. Zinnias, cosmos, salvia, tithonia, alyssum, Mexican petunias--really, most everything's still going find, except for the few things that faded in that cold spell a few weeks ago (elephant ears, ornamental ginger, sweet potato vines, impatiens, and hibiscus). Peppers are still fine, all the herbs. Yep, pretty crazy for Nov. 20.

I haven't been to Lincoln in over a week. Closer to 2. I need to get there.

Amy, I planted my stuff from Danny's recommended nursery. I don't have any room and didn't want to try and figure it out, so planted them all in a raised veggie bed for now. They can hang out there til next spring. Wow, for your excitement. Sad for them.

I'm trying chicken enchiladas tonight with a green sauce made from green chiles. I'm a little apprehensive about it. Not much going on here. Oh--Jennifer, the Oofos are okay, but I don't like rubber. So mixed feelings on them.

• hazelinok

That sounds so good, Larry! Pumpkin cake and pumpkin cookies! I was going to make a dessert for Mack tomorrow, but Mason said he's not a fan of pumpkin. (His BD was yesterday.)

Amy, how scary!

What exactly are sugar beets? I remember an anti Monsanto commercial that talked about genetically modified sugar beets. What will you do with them Larry?

Oh good...you responded, Nancy. I was afraid my post didn't show up when no one commented. I'm sorry you don't like your Oofos. They are honestly the only shoes that are tolerable for my feet when my feet are in this condition. I'm not exactly fond of the material they are made of either...nor are they that attractive, but when your feet are miserable and you slip them on and it's relief...I don't even care.

Here we go...Thanksgiving break. Our holiday will be different this year. We normally have Thanksgiving at my sister's house...we play games and pour over the Black Friday ads....although there's not been much reason to do serious Black Friday shopping for a couple of years since the kids are basically grown now. It's still fun to look, though. But, they've all had Covid19. She, my brother in law and their middle kid are all "negative" now, but the oldest and youngest are still positive...so they're just staying home alone and we'll have to figure out something else.

• Larry Peugh

Jennifer, I don't know anything about sugar beets. When I drove an 18 wheeler I saw many, many loads of of them in the north west. I don't think many are grown in this part of the country. I just bought about a half pound of seed to play with. Some people use them for deer food plots around here, but I don't know anyone who has done that. I will just find a small spot and try to grow a few. I will have to try to eat one, just to see what it taste like. I have never tried to grow sugar cane ether, but if I can find a few seeds I will try those also. The sugar beets I have seen on trucks and at truck stops were big and ugly, but I understand it is easier to make sugar out of beets than it is out of cane, I wont try that.

The pumpkin cookies were good. Oatmeal raisin is my favorite cookie, these cookies were between oatmeal raisin and gingerbread. My aunt made the pumpkin cake, she and my uncle both thought it was wonderful. I will have to get the recipe. Two of the pumpkins I delivered today was to one of my doctors wife. I had taken them a bunch of plants in spring, and the deer treated them about the same way they treated me. Anyway, they liked the stuff I had taken to them in the spring, but I am not sure any of their pumpkins survived. She also said that she liked the roelle tea and did save seeds from those plants.

• Larry Peugh

Thanks Amy, I dont think I will try to make any sugar, but I do want to experiment with a way to eat them. I have been growing forage turnips for at least 3 years now, maybe longer because I am not sure of the types of turnips was in some of the food plot mixes I have used in the past. I stumbled onto the forage turnip by accident, and last year it was the only turnips I planted, I think they are sweeter and milder, and most often larger than the purple top turnips. I am not sure, but I think they are called Barkant turnips. I have also planted some forage collards for the past 2 years. I am not as happy with the forage collards as I am with the forage turnips. The seeds of the forage collards, forage turnips, and the forage radishes cost from $3.50 to $4.00 a pound, and seem to keep very well. The sugar beet seeds cost more than that and may keep well at all, but I will worry about that after I try a few of them.

I noticed this morning that I have more garlic coming up, along with some Austrian winter peas, I also have something pushing up mounds along the rows in the garden. I have trouble with moles and gophers every year.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

Daughter's boyfriend planted garlic for me last night. Now he's a country boy, but I don't think he was involved in much actual gardening. So it was first time for him.

Your sugar beets made me think of this. I almost got it to use for greens for the chickens, but thought better of it. A lot more expensive than your seeds Larry.

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/bulk-vegetables/beetroot/mammoth-red-mangel-beet

H/J, none of us are going to be able to buy GMO crops, they save those for commercial operations and require contracts. I'm sure there are GMO sugar beets. I know there was a lot of backlash against sugar from beets for a while. I haven't seen it lately, but maybe I'm not following those people any more. I tend to chuckle at the vegan recipes with maple syrup. I don't like the maple taste in most recipes. They can't use honey because bees are alive. So I guess that's how they get around GMO sugar. I don't know why cane sugar would be out. I don't use much straight sugar since I quit putting it in tea. I get plenty from packaged products I'm sure.

Nancy I was beginning to think you were mad at me it had been so long since I heard from you. ;)

TTFN

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b

So I had to look at what's new at Baker Creek and Heavy Hitter Okra is being sold there now!

• Nancy Waggoner

Haha, Amy! Impossible! My gosh, you should see my everything room. The card table is piled high with books. I keep ordering new ones. GDW just shakes his head, as if I'm really going to find time to read them all.

And busy learning new stuff. I may not see Garry this winter. He wanted to know if there is a way he could talk and have it recorded on a document. I didn't know about Google docs and its microphone tool. He is in business! I must say, his "writing" is pretty good! And voice typing is a flippin' miracle!

HJ, I have to agree that the Oofos are extremely comfortable. Just that when it's hot, the lack of "breathing" makes for sweaty feet. Sweaty feet are stinky feet.

Okay, after reading Larry's post, I had to go out and check to see if I have any garlic sprouting. I got sidetracked checking out new stuff I planted, decided I needed to water them, and then couldn't find the sprinkler. Finally got a different sprinkler and am watering them. And forgot to check the garlic. Here I go back out there. Nope, no garlic yet.

Oatmeal raisin cookies are a favorite of mine, too, Larry. Speaking of cookies, I went on a cookie making binge 2 years ago. Wimped out last year. But sounds like a great idea for THIS year. I believe I'm rested up from the ordeal 2. yrs ago.

• hazelinok

I had never heard of sugar beets until I saw that anti-Monsanto video. I guess I was ignorant and thought it all came from sugar cane. We don't use a lot of sugar either except at this time of year because of baking. I need to get that started soon. I've had a couple of requests. haha. Maybe this will be the week. You know, we did use quite a bit in our jelly making this year, though.

Oh, Y'all, the pepper jams are SUCH a hit. Mason and Mack came for dinner tonight and just the 6 of us nearly finished off a jar with a block of cream cheese. I used one of the jars of "plain" jalapeno jam this time. I sent Mason home with a plain one and my favorite, the strawberry jalapeno.

Anyway...so we did use sugar because of the jelly making. And I'm about to start using it again in baking.

Oh, and I wasn't worried about Larry buying GMO seed. I also haven't had time to keep up with all of that stuff.

My garlic hasn't showed up yet. Maybe I buried it too deep. How deep do y'all bury yours?

Nancy, I sorta remember your cookie making two years ago...or rather I remember you talking about it.

Maybe try the open toe Oofos. I have the flipflops. No sweat. I might then the clogs and wear them with socks this winter--just around the house. Also, the Hoka One One shoes are supposed to be good as well as the Vionics. I'm about to order a pair of each. Super expensive.

If you don't bread your okra before freezing it, I highly recommend doing so. It makes frying up a batch of okra so quick! I seriously finished frying a quart of it in about 12 minutes.

• Larry Peugh

I don't think I have ever bought a GMO seed, If I can get what I want i wont even buy a hybrid seed, but sometimes I think hybrid produce better.

Well, it looks like we get to start a new week with a needed rain. The soil was not too dry, but the rain did not hurt it.

I often plant my stuff a little shallow. My top soil is shallow and I don't like to plant right down on the clay. I often use the old rule of thumb, of 3 to 4 times the diameter of the seed. The larger elephant garlic I could not go that deep, but I did try to leave at least as much soil above the clove as the clove was tall ( some were quite large ). When I checked the garden yesterday it looked like that I might have 100 or so garlic up, I dont think any of the elephant garlic was up, but it has only been planted a few days.

• Nancy Waggoner

HJ, planted about 1 1/2" deep. https://www.southernexposure.com/garlic-growing-guide/

Good morning, everyone. I watered new shrub saplings yesterday. Put the sprinkler on and then forgot them for app. 5 hrs. Thankfully it was a raised bed, so I trust it drained off quickly. .

Sponsored Story
NOVA Design
Pro Spotlight: 3 Pro Tips for Painting Indoors