Software
Houzz Logo Print
mtjls

For resale only small master bath update

5 years ago

We are building a house and selling our 1980's home. It is small but in a hot area for sale. Most of the house has been updated over the years. The master is tiny. I have a tub surround in there now and am thinking of regazing the bathtub and tiling the shower. I need a small vanity as there is NO storage space. I am thinking white but am open to whatever. I plan to replace the toilet to a current model and add a built in medicine cabinet mirror and maybe some shelves above the toilet. The room has a window (yet it is not clear glass as I did not want neighbors looking in). I had the floors done in 2009 with a high end laminiate and am not planning on redoing that in the house but thinking of it in the bathroom. (there is some water damage, never do laminate wood in bathrooms I know). I am thinkig of taking off the glass and using a shower curtain too. I do not want to spend high end just updated. I need help!!! Hours and hours of looking at photos I am still at a loss. BTW we are in the country. I will post pics frorm my phone

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    IMO chances are this will bwe a waste of money new owners will probably put bathroom reno on the top of their list to do so save the money clean the space twice and let it be. I will wait for the pics though just to see how bad it is.

  • 5 years ago

    Photos haven't appeared yet.

  • 5 years ago

    Take the money and run! Put your energy and bucks on your new house. That's what the new owners of your place will do.

  • 5 years ago

    I cannot figure out how to upload from my phone. The bathroom isnt' horrid it is just small. The realtor suggested to recaulk all caulking in the bathrooms. I need to replace the lights at least as it has been on my list. We didnt know if we would add on or build so my room did not get any love.

    I am struggling to find a neutral paint color also to go whole house. My kitchen cabinets are two toned bottoms are a maple and the top a hazelnut glaze. My colors are my taste so a tad to bright.

    Thanks for the input..

  • 5 years ago

    Especially since you said you are in a hot market, I'll tell you what my Dad did.

    My Dad recently downsized and I helped him with everything. He too was in a red-hot market. A chipper, young, inexperienced friend of my sister's was the realtor. She talked my Dad into over $150,000 "updates" to his 1990's large and very nice (but 1990's dated in the finishes) house before putting it on the market. Instead, he listened to me.

    He emptied the house (that took a long time), fixed anything that was broken. Had the house and driveway washed and a clean-up and mulching of the yard. Had the carpet and tile cleaned, and had a painter come in to touch up in most areas, and the kitchen/living needed a re-paint, but all in the exact same color.

    Instead of $150,000 doing a total re-surfacing of the entire house, full bathroom remodels on 5 bathrooms and all the other stuff this realtor wanted, touching every single square inch to make her job easier, he spent $8000 which included all the moving and storage services he needed during the process.

    He sold the house in less than 24 hours for more than the asking price.

    So, I'd recommend that you save most of your money to use in your new house. Clean like crazy, fix anything that is broken, put out some fluffy new towels, a nice candle and maybe a new clean white shower curtain (all which you will take to your new house) in the bathroom, and call it a day. If some other areas in the house need a paint refresh, do that, but stay in the same color because the painters will charge you less if you don't change colors. Do touch ups in rooms where are whole room paint job is not needed. The new owners will change the paint anyway. Clean up the yard, wash the front door. Keep the costs to a minimum, The goal is to make it present very clean and well cared for.

    If you really are in a hot market, it will sell quickly and you will have saved a lot of money.

  • 5 years ago

    Declutter, clean, repair, paint. Replace burned out and dying light bulbs with bright new ones. Add fluffy towels and display some flowers. Done.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    My SIL spent months and $$ fixing up her house, missed a hot market and regrets listening to her realtor. In addition, while she was fixing it up he city announced a recycling plant near her home which further reduced her property value. Hot markets do not last forever.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Sorry but many of your choices are dated like glazed cabinets so clean , clean declutter and move on

  • 5 years ago

    The cabinets were put in in 2009. They are high end and I see them all over the place still. I suppose if someone wants to paint they can but at least these are quality. My house is a $200 plus house not a $500 house so we didn't go crazy on updates. What we do have is 3 fences acres, a pond a horse barn and decent landscaping. Out here it is either a trailer or a $500 plus. Rarely a in between. This is more of a starter home or a downsize for someone relax and watch the deer in. It is quit livable as is. Funny if I was in southern California this would be worth 5x what it is here.

    I was planning or remodeling the bathroom and update the guest bath before we decided to buy more land and build a house. I guess my mind is still on that train of thought. We will do some things like new screen door (we use those a lot out here for spring air), put a new kitchen door in since the dogs have scratched that, remove back screen door, paint interior to lighter color, carpet bedrooms (they are concrete now as I pulled the old up), have caulking redone where needed. I likely will still have to put in a bit of money to fix some things like sheetrock seems in tv room and hopefully I will get out of it what we want.

    Thanks.....

  • 5 years ago

    You could offer buyers an allowance and let them pick their own carpet, or other flooring. Ask your realtor if that is desirable in your area. My DS refinished all her woodfloors for resale and the new owners ripped them up. Such a shame; you just never know what the next owner will want.

  • 5 years ago

    I was thinking that also. OMG who rips out wood floors? I am sure someone will come and do changes as I did, but I have lived here 25 yrs so I lived with most of it a long time and it was old. At least most of this has been touched...