Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_632495081

What is wrong with my Souvenir du Dr. Jamain?

Paige Olds
3 years ago

Hi everyone. I’m new here and new

to rose cultivation in general!

I was hoping to get some input on what might be wrong with my Souvenir du Docteur Jamain rose. I noticed this diseased-looking cane today. I planted this rose back in April and it has been putting out a lot of new growth since then. This is the first issue I’ve noticed. I do a deep watering once a week and I use fish emulsion as a fertilizer. I live in zone 10b. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I think your plant is showing end old season foliage which will be shed. New foliage will be perfect again. This is normal and no need to worry.

Paige Olds thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • roseseek
    3 years ago

Take a closer look at photo #3 and the dark surface discoloration. It almost appears to be spray damage, but CT's often produce that symptom. The final shot where the foliage is distorted and you can see the stippling where the sap has been sucked from the leaves could be spider mite damage and/or CT's. Otherwise, yes ma'am, "old foliage" is definitely part of the issues.

Paige Olds thanked roseseek
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I'm sure you are right Kim. I was posting and had not seen your response.

Paige Olds thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Paige Olds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it.

• jacqueline9CA
    3 years ago

What Kim said.

A comment which only applies to anyone living where there may have been horrible fires all summer - I tried to wash off my roses after days when there was a lot of smoke and ashes in the air, but those were also days when I was trying NOT to go outside, so it was very fast, and not very successful. After several months of this, I noticed that the leaves of some of my roses had broad areas of dark color on them. Duh - damage from the schmutz in the air. Glad to report that those leaves, like the leaves discussed above, are being replaced by healthy leaves, and my garden had a lovely flush in Oct/Nov.

Jackie

Paige Olds thanked jacqueline9CA
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

water when a plant needs water ... and as winter approaches ... temps fall ... even in z10 ... and a plant seems to slip toward dormancy ... or at least a reduced winter growth rate ....

any plant may simply not need that same amount of water they needed in summer ...

dig small holes perhaps with a tablespoon and find out about water at depth ... and adjust watering if necessary ...

we also usually dont fert in winter .. if you have been doing it all summer ... i cant believe you soil is so barren.. that a few months without will harm the plant ... when it becomes active again.. is when you start again ... with the understanding that what you are using is rather benign anyway.. so its probably not doing any harm ... regardless ...

when the leaves fall off.. clean them all up...just to remove anything that might winter over ... and start a problem in spring ...

ken

Paige Olds thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Paige, Kim (roseseek) is extremely knowledgeable. I also thought the picture showing the little yellow spots looks like mites, which occasionally spraying the leaves with water, focusing on the undersides, will solve. Mites like warm and dry. I also have a rose with fine hairs on the underside of the leaves which attracts the mites more. most of my roses have leaves the were produced in Spring that look like yours. I also have the black discoloration that happened right around the time we had horrible hot weather and weeks of choking smoke, so that could have been due to ash fall damage, like Jacqueline said....I was wondering and thought maybe just the heat, but heat plus ash fall makes a lot of sense, since ashes are quite alkaline. My bushes have also have been getting a fresh crop of new leaves and a fall flush of new buds now that the weather has cooled a bit. I live in Los Angeles fall is just starting here and today it’s 82F so not actually in full swing yet. The roses in my yard have leaves year round unless I pull them off during the regular January prune. I often don’t bother pulling off leaves though since it’s too much work. Because of my tendency to let leaves fall off on their own, which I estimate to be about 18 months after they are set, I have to make sure not to buy roses prone to rust, which is a problem in my area.

• Paige Olds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much for the detailed information! I also live in Los Angeles. I hadn’t even thought about how the fires may have affected my garden. I’m glad to hear that they can still recover.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert