jackjess2

Need advice for accent chair, rug, and decor for study/ den, please.

I am considering these accent chairs for this room in the empty corner.

The floors will be hardwood to match the foyer. I am considering an off white rug with a decorative chair or a patterned rug with a plain chair.

A large contemporary painting will go above sofa but I’m not sure what else.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

The first photo is my inspiration photo.

Elaine Gauthier Art

KW, thank you! Yes, I am the artist but not an abstract artist. I thought abstract would look nice in that spot so I tried my hand at it, Lol! Not that easy, but I’ll try more. I took the lamp from another room. Unfortunately, I don’t think the chair I like will work, too big for the space and scale for the room. I’ll have to keep looking. Thank you for your input!

• KW

Well if you determined the chair you liked is too big because you made a template to see floor space needs then that’s a good thing! You’re not stuck with a chair that doesn’t work & you have a better idea of what to look for in accent chair sizes. I wondered if a white wooden rocker with some upholstery on it would fit if it’s the width that’s the problem. Many rockers have shorter rockers so they don’t rock back as far or need the floor space longer rockers take up. Might be cute with your desk chair & coffee table bench.

HELP! Need Color and Decor advice!

I think your photo is fabulous and definately deserves to be a large canvas or even get put onto digital wallpaper for a whole wall in your apartment? I agree with michigammemom, blue would balance the pink nicely. Maybe replacing the salmon pink cushions? Personally I would paper the walls in a subtle geometric in a slightly paler version of the curtain (drape) colour to cosy up the space and make it more grown up. Definately no more zebra or animal print, the rug makes a great focal point but any more and you've got a themed room. Could you place matching large lamps onto simple plinths either side of the armchair in front of the windows to improve mood lighting and add pleasing symmetry?

Im in need of desperate advice! Please help me decorate my living room

What a great space! I would pull the one sofa over to the other to make an L shape as well, this will create a better flow for seating and conversation. Then you can always add chairs on both sides of the fireplace for extra seating, each with a small accent table. If you're into entertaining, you could also place a pub style table to the right side of the fireplace with 2-4 chairs and then have your sofas in an L shape and 1 accent chair next to the left of the fireplace. I would place a sofa table behind the one sofa facing the fireplace but you also don't want too much furniture or to take away from the fireplace. You could always paint the main wall with the fireplace a creamy, warm yellow color and continue that on the walls that open up to the ceiling. Below that area, I would paint a lighter creamy, warm yellow color, this will help to enclose the space and make it cozy and warm versus open and cold. Draperies or roman shades would look great in here, depending on the style that you're wanting. Roman shades tend to me more clean and simple looking and won't take away from the focal point of the fireplace and the beauty of all the windows. Of course accenting with some pops of colors in throw pillows, blankest, artwork, etc. will tie everything together and I'd even add some larger scaled items to the "shelf" above the walls. This is a great architectural element of the space so you want to accentuate it with some large scaled baskets or vases... Lots of great space and natural light to work with! www.villagedesigngroup.com www.coastalcottagehome.com www.modernlofthome.com

Need advice on furnishing and decorating a small home

I really appreciate all the ideas and feedback I've gotten from everyone!! The 3D rendering & murphy bunks are awesome!! Do to space limitations, I'm considering putting a queen size sofa sleeper against the front door that will face the wall that's next to the fridge - put a TV & storage units along that wall and using the kitchen door only for entering/exiting. The kitchen counter next to the stove facing the family room extends out and can be used as a seating/eating area as well. Since we won't really have a place/room to call our own I'm thinking of setting up zones. The zones will be the two bedrooms, family room, and garage. I want three great areas to sleep, study, have time together & alone. Thanks in advance for everything!!

Accent Chairs and Wall Decor

I'm glad you've decided to make the furniture you love work. Don't be hasty. Think about it, save lots of houzz pictures, be methodical and purposeful and you'll end up with a whole room you love. Last time I gave you an African look because that is the way your art and sculpture seemed to go. Today I decided to give you a tropical look to go with the blues and greens. Your room has lots of possibilities, and this is just one. Thanks for letting me play in your space.
    Elaine Gauthier Art

KW, OMG! This was another idea although I didn’t put it in my post: I had two wicker chairs in my living room before I repurposed it. One, I had painted and covered for my bedroom, the other a rocker, has been in my basement. Thank you for validation! Now I think I could paint it white and maybe cover it with the fabric of the chair I like! The fabric is available on Wayfair. Win, win!

• njmomma

Love your art, but it's a little too high, bring it down a little.

I think adding the wicker chairs is a great idea!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked njmomma
    Elaine Gauthier Art

I think the angle of the photo is distorting the position of the painting. The center is 60” from the floor. Thank you for your validation of the wicker chair!

• KW

jackjess2,, OMG is right! 😁 Great minds think alike! I do love to repurpose things inside my home - it‘s fun & I think, creative, gives things a new look & sometimes gives me just the attitude adjustment I need. Love both of your wicker chairs & either one will look great with that upholstery & white wicker. Please do post pic when you have that done but you can move the chair into the room now right? What a fun post thread this has been. Thanks!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW
    Elaine Gauthier Art

KW, Awww, Thank you! I felt that I was all over the place, but with Houzzers help I’m getting closer to my goals. Moving the chair now to the spot is a great idea! I’ll do that!

• W

Love the chairs & your art! Drop it 5" and see how it looks. It think it'll cozy in to the lamp and sofa a little more. Cute space!!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked W
  • Nancy Walton

Since you already have a rather large print on the sofa cushions, I think a fabric like the last chair would be the way to go. That way you won't have two different prints of the same scale fighting for attention. You don't want to get the same exact print as those pillows, as then you would end up with a look from the 70s, instead of contemporary and fresh.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Nancy Walton
  • felizlady

I only use chairs with arms. An armless chair is just not comfortable...where can you rest your OWN arms?! Too many or too-large pillows on the sofa make sitting there less comfortable, too. Three pillows is all I would use. Someone who gets stuck sitting in the middle can use a pillow for an armrest.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked felizlady
  • Nancy Walton

A Club chair has arms, as well as an ottoman sometimes. I'll see if I can find an example to post. This is an example of style, not color of upholstery:

Nelle Herringbone Armchair · More Info

• Nancy Walton

A chair like you are referring to without arms is called a Slipper chair.

• btydrvn

Painting the wicker ivory or even a pale beige may make it work better...or aqua to add a more interesting unexpected twist

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked btydrvn
    Elaine Gauthier Art

I think the wicker chair fits nicely in this corner ( thank you, KW). I ordered a sample of fabric that is on the first chair I posted. I am planning to paint the chair off white, same as the bench/table. Question: should I just make a square pillow for the back or a rounded one like what is currently on it. TY all for your awesome advice!

• Lis

Coming on nicely. To me the table in front of the couch does not quite fit. Maybe paint the bottom part in one of the bright colors from your cushions?

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Lis
    Elaine Gauthier Art

Reconsidering painting the chair and leaving it natural, but changing the fabric on the cushions. Need help on what type of side table, lamp, what to put on wall (mirror, painting?). Thank you for all advice!

Elaine Gauthier Art

Almost finished!

• felizlady

A chair with arms is more comfortable than an armless chair.
    A white rug is likely to get a dingy appearance unless people in your home do not wear their “street shoes” inside. A patterned rug is my choice in all public rooms: it gives you a color palette for decorating. It should be large enough that each seating piece will have at least its front legs upon the rug....I like to have the front half of each seating piece on the rug.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked felizlady
  • KW

Jackjess, that floor is stunning! And your wicker chair with its new color and cushions - perfect!! What a pretty room you’ve created & I think it’s so great that you were able to use that chair you already had! Thank you so much for coming back and showing us your great progress.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW
  • W

The floor looks great! What about finding a neutral textured rug like the carpet in your inspo pic? It'll keep your artwork & pillows as main focus.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked W
    CB Interior Design

I like your first choice of chairs, the arm chairs are more comfortable and cozy. Also I would go with the print fabric on the arm chairs a neutral color area rug would look very pretty with your wood floors. I would add a small round table between the two arm chairs with a color table lamp either in the yellow or the turquoise you have on your throw pillows. Perfect the Contemporary painting above the sofa, you can add window treatment that will definitely complete the space.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked CB Interior Design
    Altair

Arm chairs are everything! It's all about comfortability for me.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Altair
  • Amanda Smith

A white area rug would brighten the space.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Amanda Smith
    Elaine Gauthier Art

Should I hang any more art on the walls?

• KW

Since you’re asking ... 😁. I was thinking that your pretty art over couch looks a bit lonely. Wondering if you’ve created any more pieces that you can add for a small gallery effect on that wall. This wall is really the focal point in room & very visible from just outside the room too. Another spot would be the wall behind wicker chair which is viewed while sitting on couch.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW
    Elaine Gauthier Art

KW, Thank you for responding. I was thinking of this painting (24x30) for the wall behind the rocker.

• cubby14

Things are shaping up nicely. I would probably pare down the number of pillows on the couch. Get rid of the middle one and just do one bigger one on each end and maybe a lumbar pillow in the middle if needed.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked cubby14
  • Nancy Walton

You need to lower the art above the couch by about 8 to 10 inches.

• Nancy Walton

You could stack some smaller pieces vertically between the windows or put an interesting object there. Just make sure it is a vertically oriented piece rather than horizontal.

• KW

@Elaine Gauthier Art, I love that art! The sunflowers make me smile and the jar / vase color is perfect in the room. Perfect for over wicker chair. I like @Nancy Walton idea of stacking smaller pieces vertically between windows - I had been looking at that wall & if you’re not doing any window treatment or even if you do & it’s simple inside mount blinds, I think 2 or 3 small prints there would be pretty. The art above the couch is a little high if nothing else added there. Personally , I like the pillows as you have them on couch. The middle one is same color as couch & adds texture with its pattern & the other two on each end add to your color theme so my vote is keep all! I have to say again just how pretty your floor is. Can’t believe the difference in the room without the carpet that was there!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW
  • happyleg

Yes art behind rocker will be perfect.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked happyleg
    Elaine Gauthier Art

Thank you, all, for your valuable comments!

Some of you suggested that I lower the art above the sofa. I am not a decorator by any means, but I wanted to let you know why I chose to hang it there. I am an artist and art educator. I am all about balance of the elements of art. I would like to think that some of these “rules” should be individualized and based on the unique elements.

I feel that each work of art is unique and brings its own challenges to the table.

My room is basically neutral, tan walls, tan sofa, wood floor/woodwork, etc. By lowering the painting (which is very vibrant and busy) closer to the colorful pillows it brings all the color to one place; your eye will be drawn to the area mostly.

In this instance I feel that the wall will be too void. I think of the space between the painting and the sofa as a “breather”. I may be all wrong, but my eye just sees it that way.

I do appreciate all of your feedback, but I was stuck on this one.

• KW

Your theory on balance is interesting & I hadn’t thought about it that way. What do you think of the position of the art at the level on box? I think it‘s now a bit low but It is hard to judge from a photo. I thought was a bit high in original spot so my thought is halfway between then & now. I’ve used eye level to center of art as my general guide & if it’s an arrangement of multiple pieces, then eye level to main or primary piece. Eye level can be challenging though since I’m barely 5’4” which is shorter than today’s average height for female. But I also use what’s below art as guide as well as ceiling height & shape of art. Art that is a rectangular shape top to bottom & hung over a tall narrower piece might be higher where art that is rectangular shape side to side as yours is, & hung over a lower & long piece like your couch, I’d hang lower especially if it’s the only piece. I think reducing space between art & furniture connects them to create an overall vignette rather than taking each item in as a standalone view. When you enter a room, you take in the feel of the entire room before focusing on individual pieces in the room. That’s why I thought your sunflower piece is so perfect with the wicker chair - they just “go” together.. Once you enter the room, turn around & see that corner space, it’s a totally separate “vignette“. I’m using that word loosely here but I think you get my meaning. I wanted to ask you, is the sunflower piece your work too as the piece over couch is? Looks like a watercolor which is the medium I’m drawn too. Since I’m not an artist, I must purchase my art but we do have one local PNW artist we favor.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW
  • Nancy Walton

I agree with KW, the art on the box is just a little low now. Somewhere in the middle. Center of art at eye level is the general "rule" in home decor. Or in the case of two pieces stacked vertically, as might be the case between your windows, the break between the two pictures of about 2-3 inches should be slightly lower than eye level. I would place the top piece about four inches below the top of the window frame, assuming the pieces to be a size of no larger than 11 x 14 each.

• W

Yes, the center of the art work should be at eye level. I'm only 5'3" so I usually adjust it 1-2 inches to compensate for those taller, lol.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked W
    Elaine Gauthier Art

KW, Thank you so much. You have been so supportive of this project. I am not a decorator so I need all the help I can get. Houzzers have helped me with so many past projects.

Yes, the Sunflowers are watercolor and it is my painting. I am basically a representational artist but I am trying my hand at abstract to modernize my house, lol!

I have a website which has many of my paintings on it.

It is: elainegauthierart.com

• KW

Hello Elaine, I noted you updated your profile. I’ve just viewed the art on your site. What a pleasure to visit and view your art! The soft colors and serene and beautiful images are wonderful! Balm for the soul it felt like. I chuckled at thinking of your self description as ‘not a decorator’ you’d said. I’m inclined to disagree. But, those of us with strong right brain function do find different modes of expression in which we have great self confidence. Mine is in the garden landscape. A visitor to my backyard once described it as a sanctuary so I know that my vision of layers of greens and color and textures to create a harmonious space which invites just sitting and watching the birds is working. I’ve learned that many of the ‘rules‘ for interior layouts and decor apply to our landscapes! Thank you for sharing your art. I do love that you and your husband changed the original purpose of under utilized space in your home to make it a space that you both can use and enjoy - the real purpose of a “home”. I really like the Lennon art too! Kathy

Elaine Gauthier Art

KW, Thank you so much for your vote of confidence. Your garden must be exquisite! I have a flower garden but my artistic skills did not transfer over, lol. I’m down to the few plants that tolerate the Northeast and shade.

• Elgatem Hicham

Hello, i hope that you find what you're looking for, if you're still want to add a unique touch to your decor I invite you to visit this gallery of handmade rugs, they offer Free international shipping

https://www.etsy.com/shop/fatimarugs/

Regards,

Hicham

Elaine Gauthier Art

I decided to hang the Sunflowers over the desk and a new one behind the chair. I’ve ordered tan Roman shades for the windows. We have complete

privacy but do use the room for a guest room.

• KW

Hi Elaine, these pieces each show well in their places as you have them. It’s personal preference as to which goes where and l think my preference would be to swap them. The sunflowers seem so perfect with the wicker chair and that piece has more weight to it which fills corner the chair sits in & is a nice balance with the colors in piece over the couch. The abstract piece now over chair is lighter and so would brighten the desk nook which I think is a bit hidden unless the door is closed. If the thought is to match art subjects over couch & chair, I don’t think that’s needed as the two are on opposite walls. As I say, personal preference only is why I would change - I love the sunflowers so would want them to be most visible. ☺️ The roman shades will be perfect for your windows & really nice with the floors. I have woven wood Roman shades in my bonus room & love them. A clean and uncluttered look that adds texture to the room.

Kathy

Elaine Gauthier Art

Hi Kathy, I’ll try to swap the places of the 2 paintings and see how it looks. I just thought that the Sunflowers behind the chair was a lot of teal in one place. The Sunflowers actually looked good over the sofa, but it was smaller than the abstract and seemed a bit more traditional when you first enter the room. Never ending project!

• KW

It may be a lot of color in one place and you, the artist, have the eye for that which I don’t. I do favor strong colors though. Lots of red shades & gold tones in my house with a lot of oak wood. I probably should tell you - or confess - I move things around in my home often. Sometimes art is moved - for sure when we acquire a new piece. Hard to do in our downsized open floor plan retirement home! Walls! We need them. My husband’s antique clock collection uses lots of wall space. Mostly though it’s my vintage art pottery collection that I move around. Most of the pieces are displayed in an old oak glass fronted cabinet but I move them in & out & around. I like to see things “ in a new light” & give them a fresh look. I also do this in my outdoor spaces - move plants around to make room for new ones or find a better place for an existing one. Always busy! 😁

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW
    Elaine Gauthier Art

Hi Kathy, your home sounds lovely. We also have an open floor plan. This is why when we built we included the room I just finished as a “get away“ for privacy on the first floor. I spend a long time (as you know, lol) planning a redo project, then I’m good for a long time. The only thing I change around is my art. Collections take up a lot of space. I don’t have any, However, my husband has a collection of guitars. He is restricted to the music room and family room, lol. They are pretty, though. One is teal which would look great in the study, but I didn’t want to get him started In there, lol!

Elaine Gauthier Art

Having second thoughts about a rug after I put some blankets down to get a feel of what it may look like.

• KW

Second thoughts for yes, rug or no rug? I do like are rugs on hard floors because of the immediate softening effect & that a rug can add another dimension of color or art. I don’t have a good sense of the size of this room or of the bare floor space between couch & chair So don’t know what size needed. I know there are rug sites where one can upload a picture & “try” a rug in a space but I can’t tell you which they are. Maybe someone will chime in. I wonder though about a softer abstract pattern with creamy background & maybe a round shape? some time needed to cruise rug sites for ideas. And, if a possible rug found, it’d be helpful to order either a sample to see colors or if no samples then the smallest size like a doormat size to help manage return issues

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked KW
    Elaine Gauthier Art

Kathy, Thank you for your input. I was thinking of a subtle pattern for a rug maybe. I’ll keep looking.

• njmomma

Since you are considering an area rug....maybe something a little different in shape may work for the room.....something Oval.

Some inspiration:

Ticking Stripe Oval TK10 Canvas Rug 4' x 6' Oval · More Info

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked njmomma
  • shelleysmith999

...

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked shelleysmith999
  • happyleg

Can couch get turned to fit the rug better?