b_csz5

Anne Boleyn rose

B _zone5b

Anyone grow this rose? Curious since I can't find much info on it on HMF or forums, but the coloration looks like she has really nice color shifts. I found a post on here from a few years ago, anyone have updates on growth habit and rebloom/disease?

• jacqueline9CA

It certainly appears to be happy where you have it growing! It sounds as if you have not had it very long?

Jackie

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Well , mine is a really nice round shrub in a pot . I had great blooms in the cooler spring weather and I haven’t had any since , we had what seemed like a month of 100 degrees weather. And it recently cooled down and lots of roses are reblooming ( or will be ). I’ll have to go check on it . I really enjoy mine . Your photo is beautiful!

B _zone5b thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • B _zone5b

@Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca Hi Lily, thanks for this info! That's not my photo, it is from google...I think an official DA photo. It's really nice though, I agree :)

@jacqueline9CA I don't have one yet but I keep thinking about it. It seems like it has similar coloration to the new DA "Eustacia Vye" in some pictures, but then also looks kind of like Abe Darby in others. I have none of these roses though..... so this is all based on photos for me. I'm trying to plan a bed around size/colors and enjoy strange coloration in roses. I just can't tell if Anne would be hardy here and repeat well. I might just try her though and see what happens.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I have Anne coming in the spring. Have no idea if it will be good or bad but I am guilty of being a name buyer and I absolutely love the history behind this

• ratdogheads z5b NH

Anne, for me, was a low and wide grower with lax canes, which can lead to an elegant, cascading form over time. Like many older DAs in my humid conditions, she suffered badly from blackspot. Some roses can shrug off BS and retain their vigor, but she did not and grew backwards.

B _zone5b thanked ratdogheads z5b NH
  • rosecanadian

If I could grow Austins that would perform for me like that one...I wouldn't buy any other variety. They just don't grow that well for me. But I live vicariously for Austins that people post her. :)

• B _zone5b

That is not my picture hah! I feel bad for posting it now, but it was just to give a reference for anyone not familiar with her. DA is pretty great with their photography though, making it hard to make decisions. Although I wish their exposure wasn't set so high, so we could get the subtleties in each roses coloration a bit more. Hopefully some day I'll grow some roses in some pots and they'll look as nice as that :)

@ratdogheads z5b NH Rat, sounds good. I might have to avoid her then. I keep reading that the older varieties seem less disease resistant and I don't spray chemicals or fungicides because of my dogs. Maybe I'll have to find a newer variety with that coloration....I'm trying to find a good deep pink/apricot like Abe (which I'm planting next to this spot)...but a little different enough from Abe too.....

Thanks for the info on how she did for you! What does "grew backwards" mean? Died?

• B _zone5b

@Marlorena-z8 England- Marlorena, thanks for these beautiful pictures! I actually discovered this rose when I saw your very pictures of it I think...maybe on this forum or another garden forum where I saw a lot of your beautiful photos of your rose garden (Gardeners World forum maybe?). Your space looks beautiful. I think I'll probably give Anne a try, just not where I was planning, until I see how her rebloom is. I'm trying to find something in this orangey-pink color range that gets a decent size and reblooms. Might be trickier than I thought :)

• Marlorena-z8 England-

oh ok.. yeah... I do Instagram sometimes too..

...have you looked at Boscobel? is that any good to you where you are? it has better rebloom, more or less continuous, and better scent, and for me a salmony pink colour, variable..

B _zone5b thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • B _zone5b

@Marlorena-z8 England- Oh really? What's your instagram? I'd love to see more photos of your garden. I have Boscobel ordered for next year, and she's going to go right above this spot I wanted to put Anne Boleyn in actually. I liked how Anne's colorations were similar but seemed a little lighter...so that's what I'm aiming for in this spot. Or more orange vs. pink can work too...It's going to be next to Abe Darby, maybe Tamora, and below Boscobel and Jubilee Celebration. This is a hillside so that's why there will be roses "above" others. Below this spot is going to be Bathsheba which I have and love. Gets pinkish/apricot tones along with light yellow hints. It's tricky to describe but hopefully some of my plan will work.

I was actually just looking up Port Sunlight and Tea Clipper on HMF and forums to see if they might work. Tea Clipper seems to have a bad rep. for repeat though so I might avoid that one even though it looks pretty. Also thinking maybe Alnwick Rose might look nice...seems like a nice combo of warm pink centers with cooler pink outer petals. First I thought of putting Ambridge, but it seems to fade to white a lot and this area is in full sun until about 5pm.

The line of roses that will go here will be

Abe Darby, Tamora, ??? , Spirit of Freedom, James Galway.

So I'm looking for something to fill in that gap, and go from orangey bolder pinks, to cooler softer pinks of Spirit of Freedom and James Galway.

• Diane Brakefield

B, Marlorena and I agree on Boscobel--it's one of my top five roses, and I'm glad you ordered it. Mine is getting big, but your zone may keep it a little smaller. I've shown some of these pics before, but Bosco gets along so well with his pal, the huge Golden Celebration. I like a pink yellow combo if the yellow is more of a soft gold like GC. Diane

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • B _zone5b

@Diane Brakefield Diane, so beautiful! Wow. I'm hoping this big bed will some day look as full and colorful as your pics. Is the purple flower also Boscobel? I didn't realize she could get so purple, but I love it. Beautiful. Here is my layout/design for this bed.... 4 rows, 6 roses each row from top of hill to bottom.

-Mary Rose, Jubilee Celebration, Boscobel, Lady Emma Hamilton, Carding Mill, Lady of Shalott

-Abe Darby, Tamora, ????? , Eustacia Vye, Spirit of Freedom, James Galway

-Olivia Austin, Eglantyne, Bathsheba, Jude, Bathsheba, Crown Princess Margareta

-Desdemona, Emily Bronte, Desdemona, Emily Bronte, Sharifa Asma

I love Bathsheba so I have her twice. The above plan is doubled on my hill, with a mirror reverse on the hill's left side, with a pathway I'm building up the middle of the entire thing.

My idea is to have each row be a reverse of the row above in terms of warmer reddish apricots to cooler pinks. That question mark between Tamora and Eustacia is what I'm trying to figure out with Anne Boleyn or another option......so far I'm thinking something along the lines of these would work but can't decide:

Ambridge

Alnwick Rose

The Impressionist (sold out though)

Port Sunlight

Anne Boleyn

So that top rose starting with Mary Rose is cooler pinks -----> to warmer pinks/apricots/reds, then reverse below with Abe starting off all the way to cooler lilac pinks Spirit of Freedom/James Galway and then continues to the bottom light/whitish row (I might replace one of the Desdemonas with Crocus...seems like a hardy, well rated white tone)

Maybe this will be one gigantic fail in the end, but I had a lot of free time this summer with covid so I did a lot of digging and planning :)

*edit- I'm planning on trying GC out in the yard somewhere on his own since it's a bolder yellow than I'm planning for this hillside bed. I saw a tiny version of him this summer, loved it but missed buying him. I want to plant one or two out in the open in my yard, and maybe have a circle of Molineux around his base

• Diane Brakefield

B, thank you so much. Remember that Tamora is smaller than all the other roses you have listed. She is meant to stay smaller and she does, though she is beautiful and a constant bloomer. That purple rose you asked about is Wild Blue Yonder which I've grown since 2006. I call it my Clown Prince because of all of his color variations. He's huge and vigorous. I so wish I had your room for deep rose beds. This place is so small, and my roses grow so large. I hope your wonderful plans work out, but we all have to do lots of moving around and even removing of our roses. It's just part of getting it pleasing to you (don't worry about anyone else). Here's Clowny. Diane

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

• B _zone5b

I love him, I think I remember him from our previous posts....that raspberry purple that fades to the nice light purple is amazing. He's already on my list and now I will spend some time rethinking him+GC together somewhere in my yard. They look great and their color bounce off each other nicely.

I'm lucky to have a decent size property...and never did much with it besides my two main garden beds a few years back. Once covid/quarantine hit, I started clearing out giant tangled brush areas and weed areas to make room for more gardens. I might as well use the space for something I like, instead of letting big weeds take over.

Thanks for the tip on Tamora....I kind of have a feeling that she isn't going to work because of her size ;( She might get lost with the other roses. I just liked her colors and she was a good warmer apricot/pink/yellow blend to put between Abe and the cooler pinks at the end of that line.

Maybe I'll rethink her too, which means I need 2 more warmer orange-pink-apricot roses for next to Abe. Maybe I'll just put 3 Abes hah. I liked the looks of "papi delbard" rose, His colors might play off Abe and the warmer tones of Carding Mill/Lady Emma/LOS in the row above. But have to try and read up on him and see if he's hardy/healthy.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

Diane the great enabler and thousands of miles away too... I've just ordered Wild Blue Yonder because of her pictures... isn't the internet wonderful?... one can so easily go broke hanging around here too long..

B zone 5b

..yeah, on IG rosesmarlorena, but I haven't posted for some while, and I'm not sure if I'll do it next year.. time constraints and all that.. thanks for looking though if you have the time, but no worries.

..just to say, I wonder if you might like Eustacia Vye for your collection.. it has variable colourations including pink to apricot/pink.. sometimes quite a bit of apricot in the centre, and the scent is divine.. the blooms are held upright and outwards, no floppies.. quilled petals too on late summer blooms..

B _zone5b thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • B _zone5b

Marlorena, the internet is wonderful, and expensive....hah! I went a little crazy ordering roses this fall. I've been trying to research as much as I can on whatever catches my eye, to see how it does for people and hardiness/rebloom. Feeling good about choices but there are so many, it's a bit overwhelming. Luckily, looking up rose info/pictures is beautiful and inspiring me to try new things in my yard.

I love the look of Eustacia Vye. She will be the rose to the right of whatever rose I choose (if not Anne Boleyn). I need to fill 2 spaces between Abe Darby and Eustacia.

I think if Tamora will be too short/small for one of those spots, I'll just wait and try to get The Impressionist and Papi Delbard. They seem interesting for this color range. I wish there were a couple more rich raspberry-apricot Austins......but I guess that's why Evelyn is always sold out.

• rosecanadian

Marlorena - I can't believe how floriferous your Anne's are!! Wonderful!! And I would love, love to get Eustacia Vye...if I could only find it.

Diane - such glorious colors and shapes!! I love your Boscobel a bit more than your WBY. Especially the picture that shows Boscobel near JC!!! Oh Swoon!!!!

• Diane Brakefield

Thanks so much Carol. But that's my beloved Golden Celebration next to Bosco. GC and Julia are my two favorite yellow roses.

Your Anne plants are gorgeous, but I was amazed that you don't water when you have a scarcity of rain (I'd have to get rid of everything). I hope Wild Blue Yonder works out for you. I don't know if you have the extremes of temps we have, and I think that's what triggers WBY's color changes from spring through fall. Diane

• B _zone5b

@Diane Brakefield Does your Boscobel get kind of purple tinted? It looks like it might be a bit more on the deep warm red purple side, compared to your Wild Blue. Maybe that's just a purple tint bouncing off the the yellows of your GC...but I like it.

I finally figured out my design plan for this bed....and feel relieved for some reason hah. I am so picky about colors, but I moved things around and I think I should have a decent chance of seeing something close to the effect I want. Thank you all for your help. Now to wait for spring time.......

• Ann9BNCalif

Hi B_zone5b,

Sorry for the slow reply! Anne's growth habit after four years has been low to the ground, about 30 inches high, with an arching and spreading habit that's reached at least 3ft or so. Sometimes I use small stakes to prop up the canes if I want to take a photo. I noticed that you're in 5b and I'm in 9b so I can't vouch for how it would do in your climate. Mine is planted in the ground and lost a year because of being transplanted. Unlike other DA roses, I believe this one needs full sun. I don't have any good shots of the growth habit but my one shot this year happened to be selected for the cover of the American Rose Society 2021 calendar.

More photos of AB are below.

Ann

B _zone5b thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Ann9BNCalif

A variety of soft pastel colors

More to follow

B _zone5b thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Ann9BNCalif

Lots of white on outer petals

Bee friendly

Has a button eye

The fragrance is mild to moderate depending on the weather and humidity I believe. Anne doesn't make a great cut flower but she's a very charming rose that I look forward to seeing in the garden when it blooms which is at least 3-4 flushes every rose season.

Ann

B _zone5b thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Diane Brakefield

Your Anne is outstanding, Ann (lots of Anns here). And seeing your great photos make me want to try this rose, but the photos by others on HMF have been less than inspiring for me. This often happens, I think, because our forum members are such outstanding rose gardeners.

B, Boscobel is either a warm medium pink, or tends toward salmony hints at various times. Here are a couple more photos. Diane

• Diane Brakefield

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Ann9BNCalif

Thank you Diane! I'm a "B" gardener living in an A+ climate. I wish my Boscobel looked as good as yours!

It's taken me several years but my Alnwick Rose is finally coming around. Here it is a bit darker than typical due to cool weather.

It's usually this color.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Ann

B _zone5b thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I think that Alnwick is glorious

• B _zone5b

@Ann9BNCalif

Ann, thanks so much for the beautiful photos and info on Anne Boleyn! Congratulations on that photo for the Rose Calendar too, it's beautiful. I love the way you caught all the subtle pink color tones in the rose, that is what attracted me to her. Kind of a combination of cool and warm pinks that create a nice glow effect.

She kind of looks like she could be the child of Olivia Austin + Carding Mill with her various color tones. Beautiful! I'll have to find a spot to try her. Even if she stays small, her colors look nice enough to try her.

Those Alnwick pictures are so beautiful too! That one caught my eye because of those deep, rich purpley pinks with the orangey centers. I read that she grows mostly upright though, how does she grow for you? Any chance she forms a roundish shrub, or is it straight vertical upward?

@Diane Brakefield Diane, thanks for the Boscobel pictures, very helpful for me to understand her colors. I have her placed in line next to Jubilee Celebration....but now I'm thinking they might be too close in coral/salmon tones...maybe I'll try princess alexandra of kent instead. The space is between Mary Rose and Jubilee Celebration, so maybe something a little less warmer than Boscobel. I'll have to re-look at what would work between those two.

• Ann9BNCalif

You're welcome! Sorry it took awhile to reply.

Alnwick has been a very upright rose for me so far. I like shrubs that are upright because they don't take up as much room.

Ann

B _zone5b thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Diane Brakefield

Aiyeee, PAoK,my nemesis, the huge thug. But I'm sure yours will be fine. This rose gets big. I don't think yours will change color to bright coral in hot summer, because I'll bet your summers are quite nice and not bone dry like ours. The last photo is my famous stump, which I'm sure you've seen. Diane

• Diane Brakefield

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • B _zone5b

Oh wow, giant roots! Did you rip her out because she got too big? Please send any giant roses here....I have a lot of space to fill in the yard now that I cleared so much out :)

I like her colors....seem a little deeper than Boscobel? Or are they about the same? Maybe Princess Anne would work as a blend between Mary Rose raspberry lilac and Jubilee Cel. warmer pinks then. I couldn't really tell the difference between Anne and A of Kent to be honest. My brain is turning to rose mush, trying to figure all their colors and feedback out though hah, so I'm sure they're a bit different somehow. Thank you for the pics! Still a beautiful sight even if she ended up not working in the end, appreciate seeing them.

• rosecanadian

Ann - I'm still so proud of you for having a picture on the COVER of the ARS rose calendar!!! And, man, do you deserve that honor...the picture is exquisite!!! Unfortunately, I'd already bought a new calendar before I heard of your selection. That picture.....really...a work of art!! Wouldn't it be a great needlework project? I love the picture right below the bee picture!!! Stunning!! Oh, and I love your The Alnwick Rose shots...that cooler weather color is jaw dropping!! You are such a fabulous photographer...and an A+ rose grower!!

Diane - your first pic in your 2nd set of pics....wow!!!! The texture on the petals...amazing!!! I know why you ripped out PAOK...but good grief, woman!!! What stunning, uber-beautiful blooms!!! :)

B _zone5b thanked rosecanadian
  • Ann9BNCalif

Carol - Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words!

Ann

• Diane Brakefield

Carol, is a very kind person to all of us, Ann. We appreciate her, and her generosity of spirit.

B, I took out PAoK for several reasons. I just couldn't keep her reined in; she turned an awful coral color in summer, blooms were smaller, and had fewer petals; in summer, her rebloom wasn't good, either. Boscobel had her beat on all counts. I do think PAoK was a little darker than Boscobel. And I wish I could mail a few of these oversize roses to you. They are so darn hard to remove, too. Diane

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    yesterday

Oh, Diane and Ann - thank you!!!! Everyone is like that here. :) :)

• B _zone5b
    yesterday

@Diane Brakefield Ah ok, thanks for the info on PAoK. It seems people have mixed feelings on her so I might try just one of her somewhere else....see how she does and go from there. I'm more interested in rebloomers and health/size. So I'd rather have Boscobel even if the form of PAoK is nice in the flower. For now I'll wait and see how the Boscobel's do. I've seen some youtuve vids of the plants and they seem healthy with beautiful flower colors I know I'd like. Excited to see them in person

• Diane Brakefield
    yesterday

B, boy, am I going to feel guilty if your PAoK turns out to be brain exploding beautiful, and your Boscobel a dud. I'll have to leave the forum. We are just offering opinions, which can be strong, but you are the decider, and you know what your climate and soil are like first hand. I hope your wonderful plans all work out, but even if some don't, you can show the turkeys the door, and get new roses. There is only one rose that has truly satisfied me, and that is Augusta Luise. Diane

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • B _zone5b
    23 hours ago
    last modified: 23 hours ago

@Diane Brakefield Thanks for that amazing photo! It looks like an underwater creature, I love that rose. Need to try to get her next year. This year I had no idea what ordering on that site was like and logged on later in the day, looked around confused at "sold out" across every page and closed the window hah. It looks so interesting and swirly like a nouveau version of a rose. I'm not too worried about Boscobel vs PAoK. Still haven't ordered PAoK but kept the Boscobels. They were my original plan, since I thought their redder/orange tones would look nice against the Carding Mill and Abe Darby below them. Then their pinks could go with Jubilee and Mary Rose on either side. We'll see...hopefully each rose can still have some definition color-wise and stand out but also blend nicely. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

• Diane Brakefield
    23 hours ago

B, it will be interesting, and I think it will be beautiful. I have much confidence in your artistic eye, and the great care you are giving your roses. I did follow your link, and Instagram let me see a few things before they cut me off. I loved your art and especially your photos, and wish I could have seen it all. You can make art with your roses, too, which you're already doing. I could show you dozens of pics of Augusta Luise, and they all would be wonderful (sorry for the bragging). She never takes a bad pic, and her lovely colors change constantly. I think she looks good with the deep purple of Twilight Zone on one side of her and some of Golden Celebration hanging into her space on the other side. She's a big girl, 7X7 feet. I hope I'm not repeating myself. I've posted a lot of her pics, and I forget where I've done this. Back to Instagram--I boycott anything that Zuckerberg owns, so I get shut out of seeing some good stuff. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow. I just pulled a pumpkin pie from the oven. Yum. Here's Augusta again--hope you haven't seen this before. Diane

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield
    23 hours ago

B _zone5b thanked Diane Brakefield
Art Masonry Inc.
104 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living