Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r_rodriguez48

Basement-Mold or efflorescence?

diy help
3 years ago

I don't know if this is efflorescence or mold on my wall in the basement. As per the inspection report from a few years ago it says: "Efflorescence seen on walls indicates the presence of past and/or periodic moisture. Recommend cleaning and resealing the block walls prior to re-painting"

Questions:
1) is it mold, efflorescence or both?
2) What are the next steps I need to do to remove and clean this from the wall and what kind of resealing block do I need to put on these walls? (low voc and water based-kill z Mold and Mildew?)
3) What kind of flooring can I replace with the current one-it is currently vinly and where the pump of the basement is.

I compared the pictures from the inspection report and the pictures of the wall now and it doesn't look like it has grown or changed(mold grows?)

Pictures attached, Thanks for your tips/help.

Comments (3)

• ceilsan32
    3 years ago

It appears as efflorescence. Take a very stiff bristled brush and a sharp scraper as needed against these areas to remove the efflorescence (it will look like salt crystals on your wall). Sweep the floor of loosened particles.

Spray a 3' section of the wall with a 50/50 solution of white distilled vinegar and water. After 15 minutes, spray the same area with water (distilled, if available, as some tap waters contain salts). Run a fan to dry the space. Repeat in all areas, working from top to bottom.

Before spending days applying Dry Lok or similar, assess your downspouts and yard. If there is any water draining from higher ground, or downspouts can't handle your rainfall, then upgrade and purchase Leaf Guard or Gutter Helmet for rain. Your yard may need regraded away from your foundation. You may need a French Drain system. If properties sit higher than yours, you will almost always have water being dumped onto your property.

Install drainage ditches where you can.

If your home is older, you may experience recurring efflorescence, and Dry Lok may not solve the problem, permanently. Some people have installed interior perimeter drains (very expensive), while others regularly use the stiff bristled brush to remove new effloescence. Running a dehumidifier set no higher than 40% may reduce the efflorescence. Don't hang laundry in your basement to dry. Avoid keeping too many plants in this area. You may choose LVP flooring to replace existing flooring, but I'd wait to see how the efflorescence problem is before installing expensive flooring. Because the basement has a sump pump, the home has had issues with water in the past.

Dry Lok or similar requires excellent ventilation and strict adherence to application instructions. You may wish to consult with others in your neighborhood before commiting to one solution vs. another.

• Stax
    3 years ago

"Efflorescence will dissolve in water, while mold will not. Efflorescence is almost always white, yellow or brown, while mold can be any color imaginable. If the substance in question is purple, pink or black, it is not efflorescence."

• diy help
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations