adarland2003

plumeria cuttings?

Andrew Darland

a few years ago I was visiting the keys and there were these lovely flowers I took all sorts of pictures of but its not until this past year that I found out what they were. my friend has this huge plumeria took fresh cuttings yesterday and I'm so indecisive. I know people say that winter cuttings won't root or that theres a lot that could go wrong and it wouldn't work. but I just thought I would give it a shot cause at least if it fails I tried and could always try again some other day. I am stuck on wether I should callous them with hormone for 2 weeks or no. Im stuck on wether to root them by water (until I can see root nodes forming then move to soil, bag rooting, or pure perlite rooting. and of course just regular stick it in a pot with hormone and wait. I have a propagation heating mat, hormones, and perlite (incase that method is best or to add extra draining to soil). any tips or help will be amazing. I just know the odds are against me but all I can do is try at least.

• hc mcdole

I grew a couple from seed years ago and I would plant them in the ground for summer and dig them up for winter. I usually let them bare root in a pan over winter as they are so succulent. Once they got so tall I would break/cut the ends off and start them again but would let them callus in a pan just like when I did bareroot. I finally gave up on these as they rarely bloomed. The moral of this story is they can sit for months(?) out of water or soil.

Fast forward many years and I picked up a baggie of red plumeria when we visited the big island of Hawaii in 2014. It was September and I lost that cutting as I tried to get it rooted before winter. Then maybe 4 years ago I ordered the same kind of bagged cutting from a seller of Hawaiian plumeria on eBay. I made sure I got it in spring so it would have a full summer of growing to root in. I moved it from a small pot to a good sized pot 2 years ago and while it bloomed this year, it did a lot better last year (full sun in 2019). The only issue I have with it is it is not a true red as advertised.

I have to add large stones in summer to the top of the soil to keep it from blowing over as the large leaves are like a sail when it gets windy.

the_first_kms2

I personally like to root in the spring and summer but it can be accomplished year round with some of the methods mentioned in this post. My recommendation is similar to SJN above. I place a heat mat in a large bin, cover with a layer of pine bark mulch, place the cuttings and cover the cut ends with more pine bark, place them in my shop, and generally forget about them until spring. Some may root some may rot over winter but most will just callus and be ready for planting for spring. I'll visually inspect them to be sure if any do rot I remove them from the bin.

Andrew Darland thanked the_first_kms2
  • Andrew Darland

so I decided to cut the ends fresh and let them finish "bleeding" then I sanitized the cut (along with what I used to cut) and dipped it in rooting hormone and sealed it with plastic wrap. I have them sitting end up on a plant heating pad. should I mist the tops so they don't dry out or will they be fine until they callous? thank you guys for all the tips and recommendations I more than appreciate it.

• hc mcdole

I never thought that they needed anything special - just broke them off or cut them and set them in a pan to callus (sometimes over winter).

Is it cold where they are? If not, I doubt you need a heating pad.

This is how they sold them in Hawaii when we were there.

Andrew Darland thanked hc mcdole
  • Andrew Darland

thank you I hope they are pretty easy to root because I've only rooted dracaenas and figs but decided to try plumerias. its fairly cold here we've been staying in the 40-60s which is warmer than it usually is this time of year but nights drop around 20. I have them inside where it stays above 68-70 on the heating pad.

• davidfromdetroit

He mcdole - what type of plumeria is that multi-colored red one you show? It‘a gorgeous and I would get one if I can find one.

• tropicbreezent

At the moment I've got about a dozen large cuttings I got from a tree that's destined to make way for road widening. They've been laying in the shade of a tree for about 2 months now, haven't had time to plant them out. They were loaded with flowers and leaves, none of the leaves have fallen off yet but there's only a few flowers now. They only get water if it rains. They're very easy to grow from cuttings, the only problem is people tend to "kill them with kindness".

Andrew Darland thanked tropicbreezent
    the_first_kms2

Some of the more desired hybrids can be a bit finicky about cool temperatures so you may find all you do is irrelevant until it decides to wake up and start growing in the spring. Warm,humid but not wet, routine misting is ok and maybe it roots over winter but likely will hold off until spring. This is my Spring rooting bin.

• Andrew Darland

so do you think even if I keep it warm inside and bag root with a heating pad it will root in spring or could it somehow send roots in winter. I can see tiny bumps on the bottom forming its only been a few days so I don't know if thats from a callous starting or what cause they weren't there a few days ago. theres all these methods of rooting and some people say its impossible and some say it can be done I'm all tied up in this lol. I mean if it fails I can always try again in summer or spring maybe.

• hc mcdole

DavidFromDetroit,

I bought that from eBay and looked for Hawaiian red plumeria. I don't think I went with the cheapest but not the most expensive either. I was looking for the same time of baggie I had picked up when we visited Hawaii. The baggie photo looked like the same one but waiting for 2 to 3 years for it to bloom and then finding out it was not what I expected was a bit of a bummer.

The backside of a fallen bloom.

It looked promising before they opened.

Here is one seller (but I sure didn't pay anywhere near that price).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HAWAIIAN-RED-PLUMERIA-PLANT-CUTTING-9-12-IN-LONG-UNROOTED/224091327293?hash=item342ce24b3d:g:YXAAAOSwNktfGc9C

This one from Thailand looks more promising but how long will it take to get to you is anyone's guess.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-TIGER-FRAGRANT-Plumeria-Cutting-Healthy-Plant-Fresh-7-12-INCH-ROOTED/274429169174?hash=item3fe540ce16:g:c~kAAOSwmzBfD78t

• Andrew Darland

I heard that sometimes if the sun is beating down on the flowers for a long time that the flowers can lighten up or turn even mostly white. maybe thats what happened? or maybe like you said they mixed up colors or use it to trick people.

• davidfromdetroit

The funny thing is, I actually prefer the multi-colored one you received!!!

the_first_kms2

Nobody knows what a cutting may do. That’s kind of the fun part of this hobby. I had an Edi M cutting wait for 11 months before rooting and now it’s huge and was pruned this year for the first time for cuttings. I think you need to try and root it over winter with the methods stated and see what happens. In all reality some of those cuttings in that bin will root and others won’t do a thing until Spring. Either way (storing or rooting)...I still would have put them in pine bark through my generally short winter.

Direct sun can fade blossoms. I consider it a benefit as you get to enjoy different color variations on the same inflo stalk. You can see in this picture the lowest bloom is the oldest and most muted color.

• tropicbreezent

Still not planted but these are my cuttings after two months. Some are putting out roots, some aren't.

• Andrew Darland

so I've had them in bags of well draining soil on a heat mat for about 1-2 months now and the tips are starting to push out green growth on top not a lot but its gotten quite more noticeable over the past few days. is this a good sign or is it just the cutting using up left over energy?

• Andrew Darland

I have checked the bags today and could see roots starting to appear on one along the inside lining of plastic bag. I honestly could not of done it without the help and opinions from you guys. now I plan on leaving them in until the bag is mostly filled wth roots.i just hope I can care for them from here on out